Any of you RSA folks ever see if your tortoise eats this...Bulbine frutescens

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/bulbinefrut.htm

It's not in Feedipedia not the Tortoise Table.

The article that Misty Corton put on her web page regarding native food items lists it, but apparently it did not grow where that study was conducted. http://www.carecentre.org.za/ menu box in upper right corner and select "Diet in the wild - A study"

Anyways it is edible for people...

and it's a good looking plant.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Never heard of it, but I imagine it would be like aloe - give them loose stool.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have never seen that aloe, opuntia, etc. create soft stool in tortoises. I have fed opuntia as a large portion of the diet to some, as much as they want. Poops were okay.

I'll get some of this and feed it out, but others' first hand experience
would be good to hear about.

A closely related species has quite the bib...
1) “IPNI: Plant Name Search.” The International Plant Names Index. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
2) “Bulbine Abyssinica.” PlantZAfrica.com Homepage. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
3) “Effect of Aqueous Extract of Bulbine Natalensis (Baker) Stem on the Sexual Behaviour of Male Rats. – PubMed – NCBI.”National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
4) “Anabolic and Androgenic Activities of Bulbine Natalensis Stem in Male Wistar Rats. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
5) “Bulbine Natalensis – Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com.”Independent Analysis on Supplements & Nutrition | Examine.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
6) “Effect of Bulbine Natalensis Baker Stem Extract on the Functional Indices and Histology of the Liver and Kidney of Male Wistar Rats. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
7) “Reproductive Toxicologic Evaluations of Bulbine Natalensis Baker Stem Extract in Albino Rats. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
8) “Effect of Aqueous Extract of Bulbine Natalensis Baker Stem on Haematological and Serum Lipid Profile of Male Wistar Rats. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
9) Hofheins, Jennifer E et al. “Short Term Safety of bulbine Natalensis Supplementation in Healthy Men.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 9.Suppl 1 (2012): P33. PMC.
10) “ALP: The Test | Alkaline Phosphatase.” Blood, Urine & Other Lab Tests Education | Lab Tests Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
11) “Creatinine: The Test | Creatinine Test: Creat; Blood Creatinine; Serum Creatinine; Urine Creatinine | Lab Tests Online.” Blood, Urine & Other Lab Tests Education | Lab Tests Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
12) Yakubu, M T et al. “Antimicrobial Activity of the Solvent Fractions from Bulbine Natalensis Tuber.” African Journal of Traditional, Complementary, and Alternative Medicines 9.4 (2012): 459–464.
13) “Bulbine Natalensis and Bulbine Frutescens Promote Cutaneous Wound Healing. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
14) IRCOBI – International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
15) “NYLON FIBERS.” UT Knoxville | College of Engineering. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
16) “Fibroplasia Medical Definition | Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary.” Dictionary and Thesaurus | Merriam-Webster. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
17) “Fibroblast – Glossary Entry.” Genetics Home Reference. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.
18) Baum, Jennifer, and Heather S. Duffy. “Fibroblasts and Myofibroblasts: What Are We Talking About?” Journal of cardiovascular pharmacology 57.4 (2011): 376–379. PMC.
19) “A Biochemical Comparison of the in Vivo Effects of Bulbine Frutescens and Bulbine Natalensis on Cutaneous Wound Healing. – PubMed – NCBI.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Sept. 2015.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
cd81101f890ccdcc32fad5b29777c871.jpg

This is what it looks like.

Zilla

Florida
https://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/bulbinefrut.htm

It's not in Feedipedia not the Tortoise Table.

The article that Misty Corton put on her web page regarding native food items lists it, but apparently it did not grow where that study was conducted. http://www.carecentre.org.za/ menu box in upper right corner and select "Diet in the wild - A study"

Anyways it is edible for people...

and it's a good looking plant.
Hi

Hi, I'm new here. But I tried giving my Redfoot that Bulbine Fruteschen (mine is a little different in my garden) but she immediately spit it out so I am trying to look it up because I did not see it on the Do Not Feed list. But she didn't like it anyway. She did however LOVE my arugula. I'm going to start growing Prickly Pear next

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have subsequently found this plant and offer it sometimes to pancakes and they seem to have no particular like or dislike of it. My leopards will eat it without hesitation.