Any other canuks with Rads care to share some supply info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I am looking for some new ways to feed my rad and stars.....
I cant get cactus pads for the next few months as were under over a foot of snow and they are wayyyyy out of season/stock and im out right away in the cold room.
So i need to get crafty with the food sources asap.
What may be readily available that i can feed them that will do for a good daily diet?
They dont seem to like dry grasses at all and my produce isle scares me but im willing to go out on a limb if any of you seasoned keepers have ideas :)
 

bigred

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,401
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hustler said:
I am looking for some new ways to feed my rad and stars.....
I cant get cactus pads for the next few months as were under over a foot of snow and they are wayyyyy out of season/stock and im out right away in the cold room.
So i need to get crafty with the food sources asap.
What may be readily available that i can feed them that will do for a good daily diet?
They dont seem to like dry grasses at all and my produce isle scares me but im willing to go out on a limb if any of you seasoned keepers have ideas :)

Maybe some yellow butternut squash, string beans, mushrooms ? I dont know if you have any of those available where you are at
 

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I can get all 3 for sure.... Im always paranoid with the rad as all the care sheets and books I have say 90%+ grasses and cactus and up here it just isnt possible in the winter with suppliers. I tried to stock up on the cactus pads but 2 cases went rotten..... :(
 

bigred

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,401
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hustler said:
I can get all 3 for sure.... Im always paranoid with the rad as all the care sheets and books I have say 90%+ grasses and cactus and up here it just isnt possible in the winter with suppliers. I tried to stock up on the cactus pads but 2 cases went rotten..... :(

Mine eat mushrooms and squash but they wont eat string beans, I give mine a little bit of fruit to. They ate a couple strawberries the other day and I also try to get them to eat grape leaves but they dont go for them as much. If its the first time you are going to give your tort some of these new things just give him a little if you are worried about it. If you pm me with an email address I can send you a care sheet that Bill Z. sent me. Mine love pumpkin as well, need to cut it up if the tort is small. Go ahead and try some new stuff. I dont give them alot of this stuff but just try to give them a variety
 

tortoises101

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
1,390
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
How much was your radiated? Where did you get it? I only know one breeder from BC and his were going at $3000 a juvenile and $5000 for a 9".
 

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
tortoises101..... Sounds about right didnt know they had bred them yet though.
Bigred I have PMed you my email thanks again
 

cueboy007

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
169
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Dandelion, kale, escarole, watercress and other dark leafy greens, cactus fruits and ocasional fruits.

I only feed cactus maybe twice a week, since it gives them diarrhea.

I also feed mazuri and grassland tortoise pellets.
 

Yellow Turtle

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
1,608
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
cueboy007 said:
Dandelion, kale, escarole, watercress and other dark leafy greens, cactus fruits and ocasional fruits.

I only feed cactus maybe twice a week, since it gives them diarrhea.

I also feed mazuri and grassland tortoise pellets.

I feed mine cactus everyday and she gets no loose stool. Maybe you feed them too much? I don't know if it's okay to feed them cactus fruit everyday?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top