Any other sullys like soft beds?

BoujeeAppa

Location (City and/or State)
Worcestershire , UK
Does anyone else's sulcata gravitate towards soft bedding? We found out by her having a wander round our room when a pillow dropped on the floor and she went and lay down on it! If there's a blanket on the floor for the dogs she will do the same. I don't know why but I just didn't think it would make much difference to tortoises but I supposed it makes a difference to their limbs and head if laying on a soft thing! Is this a common thing or is my gal just a bit weird?!
(BTW in the pic she was on the bed asleep when we gave her some greens to eat.) (Also please excuse our messy house- we are currently in a house that's too small for us and we are disabled on top so things are hard to keep on top of when there's very little space for things 😡) (also also...our dog was a bit confused as she was asleep on the bed when Boujee came and lay down next to her so she took herself away to watch her when she noticed her lol)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240921_132959_Amazon Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240921_132959_Amazon Photos.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 1

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
We now have over 25 torts and have found several are fond of blankets. It's not just the Sully's but all species we have that do this (Hermanns, Desert and Russians) haven't tried yet with the RedFoots. They seem to appreciate their heads being covered.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone else's sulcata gravitate towards soft bedding? We found out by her having a wander round our room when a pillow dropped on the floor and she went and lay down on it! If there's a blanket on the floor for the dogs she will do the same. I don't know why but I just didn't think it would make much difference to tortoises but I supposed it makes a difference to their limbs and head if laying on a soft thing! Is this a common thing or is my gal just a bit weird?!
(BTW in the pic she was on the bed asleep when we gave her some greens to eat.) (Also please excuse our messy house- we are currently in a house that's too small for us and we are disabled on top so things are hard to keep on top of when there's very little space for things 😡) (also also...our dog was a bit confused as she was asleep on the bed when Boujee came and lay down next to her so she took herself away to watch her when she noticed her lol)
Tortoises should not have access to blankets and pillows, and they should never be loose on the floor. It is way too cool down there, and they find ways to harm themselves. Everyone who does this thinks it is safe and they are being careful and supervising, or they wouldn't do it. It takes death, impaction, or sickness for them to realize they were wrong. Your tortoise needs to be in a large heated enclosure and not loose in your house. Don't learn this lesson the hard way at the tortoises expense.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
We now have over 25 torts and have found several are fond of blankets. It's not just the Sully's but all species we have that do this (Hermanns, Desert and Russians) haven't tried yet with the RedFoots. They seem to appreciate their heads being covered.
I think you are talking about a different setting here than the picture?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's not good or safe for your tortoise to be living in your house as if he was a dog or cat. He is a reptile, with specific needs, including a proper enclosure with substrate he can burrow down into, and temperatures that are suitable and necessary for his health and safety.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I do unfortunately agree with what’s been said, hazards aside you need to look at it like this, our feline and canine companions are domesticated, they’ve happily adapted to living in our indoor environments, tortoises are captive, they aren’t domestic, living somewhere that doesn’t mimic their natural environment is stressful, it’s hard to notice stress in tortoises sometimes, but it’s there. They feel so much more comfortable in a safe secure enclosure that’s meeting all their environmental needs🐢💚

BoujeeAppa

Worcestershire , UK
I didn't say she was living inside i said she was just having a wander. We bath her inside as its too cold outside to do so and she has a wander around afterwards while supervised. I understand why people are saying what they say but questions could've been asked first.
I dont know what is meant by "it's too cool down there" as they are always on the floor regardless of if in a room or outside? Where else will they be?! She has a heated house etc but when she walks around she's obviously on the ground like everyone else's tort so unless I've misunderstood that comment then I'm very confused 😕

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't say she was living inside i said she was just having a wander. We bath her inside as its too cold outside to do so and she has a wander around afterwards while supervised. I understand why people are saying what they say but questions could've been asked first.
I dont know what is meant by "it's too cool down there" as they are always on the floor regardless of if in a room or outside? Where else will they be?! She has a heated house etc but when she walks around she's obviously on the ground like everyone else's tort so unless I've misunderstood that comment then I'm very confused 😕
Loose on the floor at all is not safe. Just "having a wander" can be deadly.

What is confusing about it being too cool on the floor? This is a tropical species. Ground temps where they come from are 27-30C all year long, and the daytime highs usually top 37C every day. Is the floor of your house 30C when the tortoise is walking around down there? I find most people in the UK keep their homes significantly cool than what we do here. Floor temps can be several degrees cooler than whatever the thermostat is set for up high. I keep my house set to 20C in winter. The floor is usually closer to 15C. That is too cold for a tropical tortoise species. If you are like most people in the UK, your house and floor will be much cooler than mine. This is not good for any tortoise, and especially not one from a hot African climate.

My suggestion is to keep your tortoise contained in a large, safe, properly heated and lit enclosure, and not let it run loose on the floor at all. As I said, it is not safe and cannot be made safe. No amount of supervision makes it safe, and we see tragic results here posted on the forum several times a year. Nobody wants to see anything bad happen to your tortoise for you to learn this lesson. Learn from the mistakes of others. Don't make the same mistake yourself. I'm not trying to argue with you or make you upset. I'm trying to save you from a terrible gut wrenching experience that we have all seen repeated many many times over many years.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey there. I am sorry if you feel as if you are being attacked when you came here to just share how much you love and care for your pet tortoise. We don't mean to seem unfriendly! Since we are a tortoise forum, our focus is on correct and beneficial conditions for all tortoises, so we try to immediately warn owners if we think it may be necessary, like if someone (not you especially) seemed to be unintentionally doing something that we know is not good for their tortoises. As Tom said, horrible unexpected things have happened including death, and it's definitely not worth it even though it may be convenient or fun for us humans! Please stick around and thank you for coming here! We all love these wonderful creatures.🙂

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hey there. I am sorry if you feel as if you are being attacked when you came here to just share how much you love and care for your pet tortoise. We don't mean to seem unfriendly! Since we are a tortoise forum, our focus is on correct and beneficial conditions for all tortoises, so we try to immediately warn owners if we think it may be necessary, like if someone (not you especially) seemed to be unintentionally doing something that we know is not good for their tortoises. As Tom said, horrible unexpected things have happened including death, and it's definitely not worth it even though it may be convenient or fun for us humans! Please stick around and thank you for coming here! We all love these wonderful creatures.🙂
Well said!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I think you are talking about a different setting here than the picture?
WAY DIFFERENT .... The times ours experience blankets is while in their indoor enclosures. I have a constant fear though of suffocation and constantly check on them. Our Jo Jo (that has no eyelid) we 'Blanketed' to prevent irritation to her eye.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Couldn’t have said it better! I’m truly sorry too if you feel attacked, I promise all our advice comes from the kindest of places for you and your tortoise❤️