Any other turtle rescuers on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Hey everyone!
Just thought id ask... Does anyone else stop traffic to rescue turtles out of the road? ;D many think I'm a nut in this town for doing it, but the need help too, dang it! I have 2 decals on my car... One says "reptile rescue" & the other is "i brake for turtles"! I was on a 40mile trip the other morn & stopped 8x to rescue. & yes, I was late for my drs appt. Lol. But, I haaaave to do it. My conscious would devour me if I didn't. & I cry over every turtle that doesn't make it. :*( here's a picture of one of my rescues for this summer... I Take a picture of each one, & add it to Facebook... But, I reckon ill be adding them here too, now. :D id love to hear from other turtle rescuers! :D

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

Attachments

• 1373170563394.jpg
    1373170563394.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 94

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Lol I have never even seen a turtle on the road!! But I heard people see them all the time. I have always wanted to rescue one!!!:)

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
I do, I get really upset though when I turn around to rescue one an see it get run over.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
I stop and I don't care if I have passengers either, if a turtle is even close to the road I'm off in the ditch and dodging cars to get him/her out of harms way. It's becoming a trend in my neighborhood and now I have people dropping off turtles and box turtles at the front door and in the backyard. In the last month I have released 5 male box turtles, I have had 2 red ear sliders and a painted turtle in the last two weeks placed in my tortoise enclosure. Still haven't figured out who keeps sticking them in there. (Trying to get people to stop by telling them that all you have to do is release them on the other side) but its the thought, that counts. So I don't mind, just take them down to an area near me that's protected land and release them there, away from humans and roads.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Yes, I rescue, too. I HAVE TO! I drive around with a large bucket in the back of my car during the active months in case they are on our busy highway so I can rescue and relocate them. I start looking for our reptilians late April here in Georgia. I, too, get upset when I don't get there before they get across.....makes me SOOOOO mad people just don't care....:tort:
Here's a pic of my July 3rd rescue....a mud/musk I think.....yesterday, my husband and daughter stopped for a female eastern paint, too....I forgot to take a picture before I put him in the pond...so far this summer we have rescued 4 eastern paints, 1 mud/musk turtle and 2 snapping turtles...haven't seen any box turtles alive yet to rescue....I'll keep looking, though!

Attachments

• Set 1 619.jpg
    Set 1 619.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
In Florida they are showing up on the roads more frequently this time of year. My vet gave me a couple extra cardboard pet carriers when I mentioned that I relocate the street turtles. Luckily my neighborhood has a pretty great, huge lake attached to it where they won't be finding their way out to main highways any time soon lol.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I do all the time. I typically try to just help the said turtle all the way across the road. If its a busy area, I'll relocate them to a better, more secluded habitat. Most of the injured turtles I have found have just been minor injuries that did not require medical attention, so I left them be. But sadly, I do come across some too late, and there's nothing to be done.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do it all the time turtles,snakes in the road my truck stops . I keep a box in my truck just for the snakes . Turtles I just set them in the bed and take them to the back yard pond .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Awww, so sweet to know that I'm not alone! :B I have even gotten my granny & a friend into the road rescuing! :) granny was kindve scared to at first... But, I showed her how to pick them up, & alls well now.. :) I ran into 2 painted turtles this month.. I've never met one before, so I was thrilled! The 2nd one, he/she had been hit before.. but the shell had mended back together, thankfully. Or I would've took him to our local wildlife rescue man... I just HAVE to help these babies... People around here hit them on purpose sometimes... I tracked one down & gave him the fussing of his life & got an apology... But that didn't help ME... What about that poor boxie you ran over?! Jeez. Sommmmme people...

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

Vickie

5 Year Member
I did once while I lived in FL however, around here have only seen 1 which was a HUGE snapper so no I didn't stop for that one rather keep my fingers. ;)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Yes, I've always stopped. :) Even for a baby owl. My neighbors were driving by me and the one other lady who stopped and thought we were nuts!! My husband joked that I needed a turtle bumper sticker... I didn't know they existed!!

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Status
Not open for further replies.