Any risk after dropping my MVB?

Geng

5 Year Member
I heard MVB were hazardous because they contain this mercury vapor or something. My MVB broke in pieces today when it slipped of my hand when I was making few adjustments to it. So are there any health risk for me and my tortoise now? Or is the amount so small that there isn't any need for worry? I cleaned up her enclosure and dumped some substrate away because of possible tiny shards in it.

Also, how long can a russian tortoise go without UVB light. I have a 100W and 50W basking lamp, so keeping her warm shouldn't be a problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know of the risk but the tort can go without the UVB until you get another one. While they bromate they don't have it so a couple months wouldn't hurt, but I would still get one way before then if it were me

JoshSloane

Finally a chance to talk toxicology! I would need to do some more research into how much mercury is actually in a MVB. I know that for a standard CFL light, there is only about .04-.7 mg of mercury released when the bulb breaks. As long as you didn't huff the fumes you will be fine. Just make sure that the broken glass and all parts of the light bulb are properly cleaned up. EPA recommends that the room be ventilated and aired out for 15 minutes to ensure safety. Low level exposure to mercury is usually only deleterious to small children, if left exposed for an extended amount of time.

I assume you properly cleaned it up soon after it occurred, so I would say you and your tortoise are fine.