Any rockhounders here?

newboxiemama

Location (City and/or State)
Issaquah WA
This past year I was gifted a rock tumbler. It didn't take long for the obsession to take hold! I live in WA state and am very fortunate to be relatively close to tons of amazing dig sites. Always looking to talk rocks! Here are some of my favorite finds from this year.
IMG_20211120_100744_679.jpgIMG_20211120_100744_670.jpgIMG_20211120_100744_593.jpgK.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I bought a small rock tumbler for my kid and niece. They loved it.

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
I bought a small rock tumbler for my kid and niece. They loved it.
It's a wonderful hobby! It is teaching me a lot about patience. I wasn't getting the results I wanted after 4 weeks so I have been running it for about 6...some people run it for 16+ weeks but I just can't handle that much waiting!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Neither could the kids. I had to tumble in the shed, locked. ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I still have the one rock the kids gave me.

Attachments

• PXL_20211220_155906096.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211220_155906096.MP.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Pro tip;

For adults like us;
Get more than one tumbler, 4 is a good number. (We don't need the stress)

For the kids
Use 1 tumbler, the things they learn will have nothing to do with rocks but will serve them far longer!

Give me a break, I'm under a lot of pressure right now....................lol

Yes, I actually tumble.....have a set of North Carolina gems stones to go in. I don't need "perfect" though, my eyes can't see perfect.................

It's kind of like this; "Who needs 8K when they only have 720P eyes?

jeff

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Pro tip;

For adults like us;
Get more than one tumbler, 4 is a good number. (We don't need the stress)

For the kids
Use 1 tumbler, the things they learn will have nothing to do with rocks but will serve them far longer!

Give me a break, I'm under a lot of pressure right now....................lol

Yes, I actually tumble.....have a set of North Carolina gems stones to go in. I don't need "perfect" though, my eyes can't see perfect.................

It's kind of like this; "Who needs 8K when they only have 720P eyes?

jeff

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Jeff! I am so happy to find a fellow tumbler!
HAHA I'm not quite at 4...but I do have 3! I think 3 is the most my apartment can handle. I have rubber barrel tumblers but they aren't exactly quiet...

I don't strive for perfection either - I like a high shine but I don't mind if part of the rock is still rough in certain spots. It has more character that way! (Maybe that's just my excuse for being impatient).

Do you go out hunting for rocks often? I find myself getting stuck in gravel parking lots sometimes...you never know what you might find!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
The NOISE....ok....couple of ways to reduce the noise, how are you doing it? In one of the dresser drawers? if you don't put 20 dryer sheets in the drawer, it will make your clothes stink....that i a "learned experience" LOL

I don't like "searching". I had this epiphany when I bought a couple of metal detectors........thankfully the expensive one was able to to be sold for even money......so if we are "searching", I look for the motherload, not onesy's-twosy's. It's just my personality

No, no, we are very casual about it here....I took my youngest daughter on a Geologic vacation a few years ago. We drove and went gem mining in NC, panned for gold in GA and searched for Diamonds in TN on the way.....so we ended up with a ton of pretty nice amethyst's and other gem stones....need some?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
WOW! I have a tumbler and a bag of Sapphire gravel that I got as a gift almost 20 years ago. Finaaly started going through the gravel and yep its mostly gravel! Yeah so I have a tumbler for fun stones I find digging in my own old yard!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Lol....Steve.live long enough and you'll have time again....kinda cool....as parents, we just naturally let our hobbies go to the wayside as the "got-to's" and "have-to's" take priority...but when they grow up, all of a sudden over 10 years or so you realize that comparatively, you have a crap-ton of money...cause they are on their own........and there's some REALLY cool toys out there today! LOL

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
The NOISE....ok....couple of ways to reduce the noise, how are you doing it? In one of the dresser drawers? if you don't put 20 dryer sheets in the drawer, it will make your clothes stink....that i a "learned experience" LOL

I don't like "searching". I had this epiphany when I bought a couple of metal detectors........thankfully the expensive one was able to to be sold for even money......so if we are "searching", I look for the motherload, not onesy's-twosy's. It's just my personality

No, no, we are very casual about it here....I took my youngest daughter on a Geologic vacation a few years ago. We drove and went gem mining in NC, panned for gold in GA and searched for Diamonds in TN on the way.....so we ended up with a ton of pretty nice amethyst's and other gem stones....need some?
Well, the rubber barrels aren't TOO loud. And I don't really mind the white noise! I put furniture pads under all 4 corners and it quiets the tumbler a little bit. Plastic pellets are definitely quieter than ceramic media. I move it from my bedroom to the living room every morning and night...its kind of a pain!! I always need more amethyst and gemstones! ;)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I never went finding them myself but I do have a good sized crystal collection.

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
I never went finding them myself but I do have a good sized crystal collection.
Collecting is just as fun! Then you don't have to spend hours soaking them in assorted chemicals and scrubbing them with a toothbrush until you realize your crystal will NEVER be completely clean ?

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Yep I’m into rocks too. I had a tumbler as a kid… then a cabbing machine, then a faceting machine. Now I have kids and no time to do any of it.
That is so awesome!!! Do you have any pics of rocks you've worked on? One day your kids will be older and you will have time again...unless you can just get them into rocks now!

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
WOW! I have a tumbler and a bag of Sapphire gravel that I got as a gift almost 20 years ago. Finaaly started going through the gravel and yep its mostly gravel! Yeah so I have a tumbler for fun stones I find digging in my own old yard!
Haha I always wonder about those surprise bags!! Any good sapphires at all??