any safe tropical plants recommendations for my rf

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have allocasia and collocasia both planted in my YF yard. They've taken a nibble here and there, but it's not one they're particularly fond of. It is a mainstay of the Manouria diet though.
Yvonne. Those are elephant ear. Are you saying they are tortoise safe?? Always heard they are a no no!! I do like them and they'd make a great plant to hide beneath...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne. Those are elephant ear. Are you saying they are tortoise safe?? Always heard they are a no no!! I do like them and they'd make a great plant to hide beneath...

These plants are a staple in a wild Manouria's diet. I wouldn't feed it to any others. It grows in my YF yard and they mostly ignore it, but will occasionally take a bite out of an exposed tuber. When trimming back the plants I will upon occasion toss the leaves into the RF yard and they don't eat it.

I most definitely will not ever offer it to the desert-type tortoises, only to the rain forest types.

Glomerulus

Kansas
I have allocasia and collocasia both planted in my YF yard. They've taken a nibble here and there, but it's not one they're particularly fond of. It is a mainstay of the Manouria diet though.

The oxalate content (raphide) isn't an issue with those? Those things do so well with water/humidity that it would be great to have them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most lilies are not safe.