Any sign of problem with the shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
This little guy came from a recent rescue. The previous owner had him for about 3 years before they bought him from PetSmart.

Do you see any sign of trouble with his shell? I know for a fact that another tortoise I obtained from craigslist showed up shell problem months later. Initially just here and there spotted shell rot and expanded. The previous owner kept him inside without UV bulbs. I wish I had found the problem sooner. However with a lot of sun exposure this summer, he is getting back (but shell problem won't go away even though you can see improvements).

samsungmobile 107.jpg
samsungmobile 108.jpg
samsungmobile 109.jpg
samsungmobile 111.jpg
samsungmobile 113.jpg
samsungmobile 115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I'm no expet, but I don't see any major concerns.

From the second photo above, I am not sure how to make those dark brown (kind of like rusty iron) lines in between scutes. I have never seen that before. Is it something of concern?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
xcbroker said:
wellington said:
I'm no expet, but I don't see any major concerns.

From the second photo above, I am not sure how to make those dark brown (kind of like rusty iron) lines in between scutes. I have never seen that before. Is it something of concern?

If the tort is being kept in Georgia then I suspect clay might cause the red like color on skin and shell.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
WillTort2 said:
If the tort is being kept in Georgia then I suspect clay might cause the red like color on skin and shell.

It was kept in a glass tank with tree bark as substrates. I am also curious about the brown color. Since the water dish and decor inside the tank also show that color, I wonder if this tortoise got that too. It is not easy to wash the color off.

Status
Not open for further replies.