Any Suggestion for my little pond?

antlichao

Location (City and/or State)
China
1、A very small pond,size:30CM*40CM

2、fliter size: Active Gravel Bog Filter 20CM*30CM

3、trutle size: 5-6cm*2 (RES and Chincmysreevesii)maybe another 4-5CM Mauremys mutica in the future

4、Plants:Acorus tatarinowii*4 and Green radish

微信图片_20230307171033.jpg
微信图片_20230307172600.jpg

8c74576407224ec9bca026b100ac2e75.jpeg
Question:

1、Does this tank meet the requirements for keeping these two turtles?

2、Can this filter guarantee a long time without changing the water? At present has not changed the water for a month, the turtle did not get sick, the water is clear and does not stink.

3、They are raised in places where there is no direct sunlight, but there are about 6 hours of scattered sunlight a day.

4、Any other suggestion?

This is my trutle
微信图片_20230307172608.jpg

微信图片_20230307172615.jpg

微信图片_20230307172623.jpg
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure about the filter, but that tank, unless it's a lot more gallons than it looks like it would be, is not big enough for one RES let alone more turtles. RES get really big. For the size of them now, it might work for a short period but I wouldn't add more
Also they need to be able to get out of the water and bask under sunlight or a basking light.
@Markw84

antlichao

China
Not sure about the filter, but that tank, unless it's a lot more gallons than it looks like it would be, is not big enough for one RES let alone more turtles. RES get really big. For the size of them now, it might work for a short period but I wouldn't add more
Also they need to be able to get out of the water and bask under sunlight or a basking light.
@Markw84
Sure,I agree with ur opinion,this pond is so small for a RES,I will try to find a pond big enough for them,how about 60*40 or 120*40 ? Now I take a stone for them to get out water,and move them to Balcony in my apartment,Thanks a lot!微信图片_20230308085728.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only had adult RES and they lived outside in a very large 700 to 1000 gallon pond.
Most aquariums are not very wide for adults.

antlichao

China
I have only had adult RES and they lived outside in a very large 700 to 1000 gallon pond.
Most aquariums are not very wide for adults.

My RES will envy your RES living environment, no courtyard in my apartment,so I only have to using a not very big aquariums to feeding them, but I will try to give them a good fliter and keep the water quality suitble for them.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I kept up to 5 Red ears in each 55 gallon/208+L for 20 years. Many will tell you that wasn't a good thing.....but you have to decide what you have space/$ & time for. I used a large canister filter that I simply run under a faucet after removing the top, to backwash. various fish poured in every month or so, usually wild caught minnows.

My setups let nature do most of the feeding and cleaning for me. If you are careful and setup a self governing eco system, you can remove a lot of the work. I suggest that you take some time to look around at other setups, then you can determine what you will need.

Keep in mind that turtles in the wild have an infinitely sized home....so when people tell you "it's too small", they are only thinking of the turtles ability to thrive. If you reduce their environment, you reduce their will to live....at least that's my own opinion.

good luck,

antlichao

China
I kept up to 5 Red ears in each 55 gallon/208+L for 20 years. Many will tell you that wasn't a good thing.....but you have to decide what you have space/$ & time for. I used a large canister filter that I simply run under a faucet after removing the top, to backwash. various fish poured in every month or so, usually wild caught minnows.

My setups let nature do most of the feeding and cleaning for me. If you are careful and setup a self governing eco system, you can remove a lot of the work. I suggest that you take some time to look around at other setups, then you can determine what you will need.

Keep in mind that turtles in the wild have an infinitely sized home....so when people tell you "it's too small", they are only thinking of the turtles ability to thrive. If you reduce their environment, you reduce their will to live....at least that's my own opinion.

good luck,
I agree with your opinion, but different countries have different conditions for raising animals, and we all have the same love for turtles.

Although the size of the breeding environment is limited.

I will try to provide them with the best water quality and environment through the equipment.

There is a long way for me to learn how to keep the quality of water,keep suitable temperature,good food for them,anyway,thanks a lot!