Any suggestions on ways to make money for my tortoise

GalapogosMyBabyTort

Location (City and/or State)
England, London
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how I could make money to buy a cherryhead hatchling for £170.
I am 12 years and finding ways to get money

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cutting lawn, doing chores, babysitting, dog walking. It might be better to wait until you're older unless your parents are willing to help buy all the supplies too.
The needed supplies for a Redfoot tortoise will easily be more money than the tortoise.
Redfoot and Cherryhead aren't the best beginner tortoises. They are a tropical species and require specific things in order to thrive.
You'll need a closed chamber enclosure. A Ceramic Heat Emitter with a housing. A T5 ho 10.0 florescent linear tube uvb light. Orchid bark bedding, hides and food and water bowls just to start.
I'm certain I've overlooked a few items.
Cherryhead Redfoot aren't going extinct. So don't feel like you're in a rush. Do the smart thing and buy ALL OF THE SUPPLIES FIRST. Get it all set up so that it remains 80- 88 degrees Fahrenheit 24/7 with over 70% humidity......
Then get the tortoise.
It'll also dramatically reduce the chance that your tortoise will get ill or die while you're trying to get your enclosure set up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with Zeropilot.
If you don't have the money for a tortoise then you don't have the money to care for him. You need to get the enclosure first, not a tiny aquarium but a closed chamber enclosure. Depending on what kind you get, it will run about 100.00 US dollars on up. Then you need a light for uvb, ceramic heat emitter for heat, maybe two, maybe a basking light the fixtures they need, clay water saucer, food dish, substrate, hide, and plants. All that costs way more than a tortoise.
Then you need to afford the food and calcium.
Also needed are thermostats at least one, times are helpful but not needed and also a temp gun is not needed but helpful.
Do what you can to earn and save money now and maybe when you are old enough to get a regular job, that's when you could get your tortoises.
Unless your parents are totally willing to help you and understand the actual cost for proper care and maintaining.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’d absolutely take the advice you’ve been given here on board! There’s no reason you can’t become an amazing tortoise owner down the line, but this species has such specific care, they aren’t for beginners in my opinion, take this from someone who’s family member, as a grown adult made the decision to get a red foot without thinking about the future.. you’ve already been more sensible coming to this forum first before committing to a VERY long living pet, you need to consider any potential future vets bills, they are sky high for exotics.
I’m not saying someone your age, with the right research and dedication can’t make a good owner, I just think you’ll be in a much better position when you’re a bit older and able to comprehend all the different financial factors that come into play with this kind of pet❤️

GalapogosMyBabyTort

England, London
I'm planning to one next year and we have a reservation for one and I will have enough by next year I just want to make some extra just in case but I have enough for the equipment and will have enough for the tortoise soon

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If you’re determined to go ahead, do lots of research on this forum for their care, you can have a smaller set up whilst they’re a baby but be prepared to have a large area(bigger than an 8 foot by 4 foot space) to set up a tropical environment, which isn’t the easiest in our uk climate, they’re a huge commitment and if I’m being honest, generally speaking, I don’t think many people in the uk can house these tropical species the best😕

Pák

Esztergom
If you want to be sure, about providing the care he needs, you need somewhere around ~1000£ budget for the first month only.
But keeping an animal at home is not just about money, its a full time commitment. You need to keep a really close eye on him for the first year at least, this means to check the tort 2 times a day, for feeding and soaking him. There is no restdays.
If your parents dont have big enough garden to grow the food for the tort you will need to search for plants and weeds every other day just to feed him.
Sadly if you lose interest after some time, your parents will end up with a poor little tort what they maybe dont want to take care of, this s only bad for the tort.

Dont forget that you are still before high school and possibly uni, wich can cause situations where you only go to home few times/ month.

I also wanted very badly a tortoise when i was 12, but luckyli my parents was not allowed me that. So i waited until i had my own house, where i am the only one who is responsible for my tort. Its a life long commitment you need to be sure you want to do this for decades.

Actually i am now 29, and my tort turned one year old this spring. It wasnt an easy year but i really enjoyed every moments of it after waiting for him fore 15 years. :D

kislajos hami.jpg

Eszik bodza.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I promise none of us are trying to be a buzz kill, we just know how big a commitment it is and the challenges that come with it😣

Do you know what equipment you will need to start up? Or has a pet store here told you? Cause I can guarantee most the information given out on their care here in the uk is completely outdated, hence anything you do set up wise, I’d highly recommend checking with the forum first.

I think at 12, there’s SO many life factors to consider here, school, social life, uni, list goes on, if your parents themselves want a tortoise and are really into the idea, up on their stuff, then perhaps I’d say go for it, but if they’re telling you this is going to be your responsibility I’d HIGHLY encourage waiting a few more years! You’ll be in a much better position I promise you!

If you’re absolutely determined, is there no way you’d consider a species like a Russian? They are SO much easier to keep here in the uk!! Believe me, a cherry head is not the best species to keep here. For a Russian an 8 by 4 foot enclosure will be sufficient when they’re an adult and far easier to maintain in my opinion.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm planning to one next year and we have a reservation for one and I will have enough by next year I just want to make some extra just in case but I have enough for the equipment and will have enough for the tortoise soon
Hi!
Probably, I'll repeat other's words but your parents should want a tortoise no less than you do. They should make a commitment to do the research, invest time and money in caring for it.

I have a redfooted tortoise, my kid asked me to get one. A week of googling was encouraging - "easy to feed, good beginner's tortoise, manageable size" and bla-bla-bla. I live in climate which suits redfooteds better than UK but still far from ideal. I have my hands full of caring for a single tortoise all the time. If I've got any Testudo - I have not had so much headache, but I've made a commitment. My kid won't be able to do all the things I do. Kid's pets are parent's pets, especially such demanding as tortoises.

And the last but not the least - is a "tortoise paradox". To own one you need a fairly stable life - no moves from country to country, plenty of living space, decent income and so. When you have it, it's probably too late as your tortoise will outlive you.

So, if your parents want a tortoise too - let's start planning the enclosure, checking the equipment and optimizing costs (as the most goods from the pet shop is a "throw away" or overpriced stuff).

It's not to discourage you - it's because one of my kid's friends has a redfoot hatchling who lives in an open plastic container, size of a shoebox, and I can't do much about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how I could make money to buy a cherryhead hatchling for £170.
I am 12 years and finding ways to get money
The purchase price of the tortoise is nothing compared to the price of housing it. Also, the tortoise will need a room sized enclosure in 2 or 3 years. How and where are you going to house it then? Is there an extra room in your house that can be sealed to protect against humidity and wet conditions and kept heated to 27-30C all day and night forever?

Think ahead. This is not a good idea. Get a species that will work with your space, climate and budget.

GalapogosMyBabyTort

England, London
Thank you everyone, I don't take any offence for anything and I understand everything completely your advice is really good and I am fully prepared to be committed for life. Just to reassure everyone my tortoise will definitely have a big space for my baby tort

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
My parents are also very interested in the idea for a tortoise
That’s good to hear🙂

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes you interested in getting a cherry head in particular?
I only ask because their environment can be very tricky setting up on the large scale that’s needed in the future, our climate doesn’t allow us to house them outdoors, so you’ll essentially need a room sized space inside where you can build an enclosed chamber that holds a tropical environment. Not impossible, but challenging if you or your parents have not done anything like it before, even for experienced owners it can take a lot of tweaking. The substrate alone can be very expensive come deep clean time to fill the size you need for an adult.

I take it you’ve clued your parents in on the type of tortoise species you’re interested in here? This tropical tortoise has very specific care, temps, humidity and a very varied diet that’s different from most tortoise species, for a first tortoise it’s a bold choice just based on location alone.
I would highly encourage looking at some different species that are a bit easier to house here, obviously even then they’re a huge commitment. What sized space are you able to offer for many years to come at your home? Are you parents ok housing them in the event you don’t have the future space yourself?

In any case it’s great you’ve made your way to this forum!🙂This is the best place you can ask questions before making any purchases for advice, reptile stores will often sell you the wrong stuff, no matter how well informed they may sound, it will never hurt to run it by on here! It could even end up saving you some money in the long run from unnecessary buys.

I’m a member from the uk who’s family has a red foot, I’m always happy to help advise, as are many of the lovely people here, all the best🙂

GalapogosMyBabyTort

England, London
Yep my parents have been notified about everything needed and really what really struck me to get a cherry head was their vibrant colours but also how they can be quite shy at times but then bold at others, it rll stuck me

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yep my parents have been notified about everything needed and really what really struck me to get a cherry head was their vibrant colours but also how they can be quite shy at times but then bold at others, it rll stuck me
Great, if they fully support you in getting a tortoise then you don't have to save excess money, they will cover anything needed (I think your savings were more of a proof of intent).

Let's start planning!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Reassuring to hear! I for one would love for you to stick around here so we can watch you progress! I love cherry heads and red foots!❤️

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It would be wise to check with us future enclosure setup before getting a tortoise. So if you already have some drafts - let's discuss before spending money.