Any suggestions regarding on what i can do to improve my Russian babys home.

Jessica J

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire England
Hello please see picture of tortoise table. I have done my best making it as lovely as I can for him. Lots of conflicting information. I've tried making a humid hide to get the humidity up with the flower pot, substrate and Moss. We are currently awaiting a perspex roof to put on top of the table as I have seen it is better for humidity. Currently im trying to improve it with foil etc. any sdvice much appreicated. Please see pics attached.

Attachments

• 20230225_153600.jpg
    20230225_153600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230225_154719.jpg
    20230225_154719.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230225_154734.jpg
    20230225_154734.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. There’s lots of great info here on the Forum. One thing for sure is you will want to remove the “rabbit pellet” substrate. It’s just not a good substrate for lots of reasons - easily gets moldy/mouldy & is not meant to get wet. Also, i know that you are trying to increase humidity levels, but adding moss is not a good thing. Your tort might just eat it like food which can lead to impaction/constipation.

Make sure you don’t crowd the total surface area too much with too many objects. They all cut down on the available crawling & walking space. Russians need a good amount of space to walk & roam & explore.

As far as substrate, look for fine to medium grade “orchid bark” at your garden centre. 100% bark - no additives.

Good luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Getc rid of the moss, can cause impaction and entanglement. Get rid of pellet substrate for reasons Maro2Bear mentioned. If the other substrate is coconut coir then that's fine. Remove some of the stuff. One hide is fine. They need room to roam
What size is the enclosure and how old is the tort?
An adult Russian needs a minimum of 4x8 foot enclosure.
And as you are doing get humidity up. 80% if it's under 2 or 3 years and for a junior or adult 30 to 50% humidity is fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello please see picture of tortoise table. I have done my best making it as lovely as I can for him. Lots of conflicting information. I've tried making a humid hide to get the humidity up with the flower pot, substrate and Moss. We are currently awaiting a perspex roof to put on top of the table as I have seen it is better for humidity. Currently im trying to improve it with foil etc. any sdvice much appreicated. Please see pics attached.
Here is the correct care info with the accompanying clarifications:

I agree with Mark and Barb's comments too. I would add that the flower pot with the wide open end can't function as a humid hide, as all the humidity simply escapes out of the front of it. With deep damp substrate and a humid hide, it becomes less important to keep humidity high with a baby Russian. A vivarium is a much better and much easier way to go for a baby than an open table. When you read otherwise on the internet and FB, you are getting old wrong info from people who don't know better.

Jessica J

Hertfordshire England
Greetings. There’s lots of great info here on the Forum. One thing for sure is you will want to remove the “rabbit pellet” substrate. It’s just not a good substrate for lots of reasons - easily gets moldy/mouldy & is not meant to get wet. Also, i know that you are trying to increase humidity levels, but adding moss is not a good thing. Your tort might just eat it like food which can lead to impaction/constipation.

Make sure you don’t crowd the total surface area too much with too many objects. They all cut down on the available crawling & walking space. Russians need a good amount of space to walk & roam & explore.

As far as substrate, look for fine to medium grade “orchid bark” at your garden centre. 100% bark - no additives.

Good luck
Thank you!

Jessica J

Hertfordshire England

I agree with Mark and Barb's comments too. I would add that the flower pot with the wide open end can't function as a humid hide, as all the humidity simply escapes out of the front of it. With deep damp substrate and a humid hide, it becomes less important to keep humidity high with a baby Russian. A vivarium is a much better and much easier way to go for a baby than an open table. When you read otherwise on the internet and FB, you are getting old wrong info from people who don't know better.
Thanks for your reply and advice.

Jessica J

Hertfordshire England

Thank you!