Any Suggestions?!?!?! Sold a Sick Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I purchased a RF tortoise roughly a year old on 4/6 here in San Antonio Texas at the South Texas Reptile Expo. Three days later I was at my vet's office and found out Jerry Lee had an URI. I looked up the breeder and was shocked at the large number of complaints regarding them selling sick animals. I emailed them and advised them about the situation and said I didnt have high hopes of hearing back from them as the large numbers of complaints show no contact or refunds. (They have a huge disclaimer on their site stating they dont guaranty ANYTHING once it leaves the store). I thought I would share the lovely response I received today:

First thing, you don't know me or anything about myself and my business. Just because something
is posted on the internet doesn't mean that it's true. You work for a company dealing with
insurance so you should know firsthand that people will say anything. I have been in business for
16 years and have sold thousands of animals. Are there ever incidents? Sure but it is never done on purpose. I try to resolve everything but sometimes you just can't please people. Most of the negative
reviews are posted by 2 of my ex-employees.

You started making negative comments before I even had a chance to respond.

Now, if you would like to act right, I will be happy to take a look at the vet bills. You can
either e-mail them to me or mail them. It is your choice.

Thank you.[/color]

Pennie Shelton
Co-Owner
S & S Exotic Animals, Inc.
1711 Connorvale
Houston, TX 77039

Minority1

5 Year Member
MildredsMommy said:
I emailed them and advised them about the situation and said I didnt have high hopes of hearing back from them as the large numbers of complaints show no contact or refunds.

It seems clear to me that you started the message by being negative firsthand. Any retailer would feel attacked. That is not saying the retailer is completely clear of all fault. They did say these things do happen, and they were willing to see what can be done. I would calmly reply and see what kind of deal can be struck. You're lucky to have people from reptile expos reply back. Some never do.

You're also dealing with small businesses not large chains so there's no complete guarantee of these things. Most online retailers for example are actually small businesses themselves.

There's gonna risk involved. Your best bet is to do your homework, know the product, ask all questions, and get all the answers you need before finalizing your purchase.

I think you should make a separate post on Tortoise Vendor reviews if you want members be aware of this company and your experience with them.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Minority1 said:
MildredsMommy said:
I emailed them and advised them about the situation and said I didnt have high hopes of hearing back from them as the large numbers of complaints show no contact or refunds.

It seems clear to me that you started the message by being negative firsthand. Any retailer would feel attacked. That is not saying the retailer is completely clear of all fault. They did say these things do happen, and they were willing to see what can be done. I would calmly reply and see what kind of deal can be struck. You're lucky to have people from reptile expos reply back. Some never do.

You're also dealing with small businesses not large chains so there's no complete guarantee of these things. Most online retailers for example are actually small businesses themselves.

There's gonna risk involved. Your best bet is to do your homework, know the product, ask all questions, and get all the answers you need before finalizing your purchase.

I think you should make a separate post on Tortoise Vendor reviews if you want members be aware of this company and your experience with them.

Thank you I will do that. I guess I am still in shock over someone telling me if I "act right" they will fix THEIR mistake. I guess my idea of customer service is over inflated :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No your acting just fine. I know these people on a "its time to argue basis" every time I go to reptile shows and walk up on their table and see elongated, hingebacks, redfoots, russians, and leopard tortoises all hangin out with each other Captive bred and Wild Caught. She gave you a bunch of excuses is what she did. They have bad reviews because they practice business. Not quality. They need to stand up to the plate and make this issue right. You don't need to divulge any vet information to them. If they seem to have a problem with a 12 year+ studied profession then they need to argue it with them. If you give you them the opportunity to fall into their trap they will give you more excuses. I am sorry this happened to you. I hope they do they right thing. Now lets talk about the RI. Is this in another thread?

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
tortadise said:
No your acting just fine. I know these people on a "its time to argue basis" every time I go to reptile shows and walk up on their table and see elongated, hingebacks, redfoots, russians, and leopard tortoises all hangin out with each other Captive bred and Wild Caught. She gave you a bunch of excuses is what she did. They have bad reviews because they practice business. Not quality. They need to stand up to the plate and make this issue right. You don't need to divulge any vet information to them. If they seem to have a problem with a 12 year+ studied profession then they need to argue it with them. If you give you them the opportunity to fall into their trap they will give you more excuses. I am sorry this happened to you. I hope they do they right thing. Now lets talk about the RI. Is this in another thread?

THANK YOU. I was beginning to feel crazy-lol. Yes it is under the tortoise help-I kinda caught some flack with taking him to a vet to begin with (I am a newbie to reptiles) and the Baytril injections-however Jerry Lee has made CONSIDERABLE improvement, is eating like a horse, his eyes have cleared up, and he has even gained weight in the past few days-he has two more shots and then he is done. After I looked at his little face I couldnt have left him there if I wanted to (and you are correct he was hanging out with every kind of tortoise you can think of in a dry plexi glass box). My bad. I should have known when someone tried to place a living thing in a to go box like a piece of pie it was all about the $$$$$$.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its not your fault. Greed from people like that overcome quality. Sometimes the seller may not know if they have as many animals as they do. That one particular animal could be sick. BUT. Thats not how she presented herself in the response you got from her, that I read. It happens sometimes. None the less. We will help the little guy out as much as we can for yah.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
tortadise said:
Its not your fault. Greed from people like that overcome quality. Sometimes the seller may not know if they have as many animals as they do. That one particular animal could be sick. BUT. Thats not how she presented herself in the response you got from her, that I read. It happens sometimes. None the less. We will help the little guy out as much as we can for yah.

:) Whats funny is that I got my boxie Mildred from a college student off of CL, and she was quite knowledgable and responsible and because of her care, Mildred is healthy and happy. Amazing what happens when you have animals because you care and not because of the almighty buck. Ok-off my soap box-but people like that just grind me slick.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
From my point of view, ANY customer complaint needs to start with an assumption of good intentions- sure, negative posts may sway you, but when you deal with ANY vendor, retailer, or service provider, the first words out of your mouth often set the tone for the whole thing.

If you called ME to complain about a service I provide, and you call in a nice, neutral way, I am 100% willing to listen and respond- usually trying to make you 100% happy. However, if you call and start off in anyway negative, I am instantly on the defensive and immediately less enthusiastic about helping- I will almost automatically do the least I can do to get you out of my hair.

That is not because I am anything special- it is pretty basic human response. Sure, in a perfect world, everyone would get equal treatment, but then again, in a perfect world, you would never get substandard service or products.

If I were you, and this is ENTIRELY the way *I* would do it- I would contact him, ideally by phone, and apologize, using my worries for my tortoise as a poor excuse for my behaviors- that was wrong of me (whether I really believed this or not!) "Could we start over? My tort apparently has an RI- what can we do (notice the *WE*) to help him?" NOT what can I get out of you, or anything like that- the focus is on the sick tortoise and getting it better, and making him a partner in this endeavor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Madkins007 said:
From my point of view, ANY customer complaint needs to start with an assumption of good intentions- sure, negative posts may sway you, but when you deal with ANY vendor, retailer, or service provider, the first words out of your mouth often set the tone for the whole thing.

If you called ME to complain about a service I provide, and you call in a nice, neutral way, I am 100% willing to listen and respond- usually trying to make you 100% happy. However, if you call and start off in anyway negative, I am instantly on the defensive and immediately less enthusiastic about helping- I will almost automatically do the least I can do to get you out of my hair.

That is not because I am anything special- it is pretty basic human response. Sure, in a perfect world, everyone would get equal treatment, but then again, in a perfect world, you would never get substandard service or products.

If I were you, and this is ENTIRELY the way *I* would do it- I would contact him, ideally by phone, and apologize, using my worries for my tortoise as a poor excuse for my behaviors- that was wrong of me (whether I really believed this or not!) "Could we start over? My tort apparently has an RI- what can we do (notice the *WE*) to help him?" NOT what can I get out of you, or anything like that- the focus is on the sick tortoise and getting it better, and making him a partner in this endeavor.

I totally agree with this. I feel you started out wrong. You presumed all the complaints were legit, without first hand seeing if they would work with you. They may not be good people to work with. However, two days and the uri showed up, how were they suppose to know, if you didn't notice it either when you purchased it.
I wouldn't have been very pleasant with you either if you started out in that tone with me, in fact compared to me, he was very nice.
If you want them to help with the vet bills, you do need to send them a copy. They owe you nothing without proof. They don't know your not a scammer either. I would also respond to them in the same manner that Madkins007 suggested.
I also would not post a review about them until you have the whole picture. You never know, they may surprise you.
Glad he's doing better. I personally know of a couple people that have bought RF torts from a show and had the same problem as you. All okay and doing well now. I personally would not buy from a reptile show, unless I knew of the vender before hand. Hope you can get some satisfaction from this person.

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana
I got my Hermann's tortoise from them at a reptile show last August. But they told me he was a Greek and the nice people on here informed me he was a Hermann's. After emailing with them a while they realized they made a mistake and kindly said they would switch him out, but I already fell in love with my Hermann so all was good.

If you start off nicely with others they will likely respond nicely back. If you start of rude with someone before giving them a chance to explain then you may get treated back the same way. If they were to sell you a sick tortoise on purpose I doubt they would be willing to look at the vet bills.

I hope your little one gets better.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am with you on this I live by s&s and there shop is not much better than the shows they sell in . They have adult sulcatas with adult red footed tortoises .when I got my red foot from them it was sick . Cost 200.00 in vet bills but should have put two and two together . This is how she keeps a lion yes a lion in her yard. Sad very sad this cat just sits there in this cage with no water or food to be seen. And there is a pond in the enclosure! With no water in it ! You should see the red ear sliders they sell as pets that are under for inches but they can do that because the sign says they are for educational bull crap is for the money. And half of them are stuck on dry land and on there backs . And when you tell them they take there sweet time to flip them back over . I can go all day long on these people .

Attachments

• 1366170831148.jpg
    1366170831148.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 118

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well its legal to keep lions and other exotics as pets there.. and this one isn't in the bad of a situation.. I would No expect to see food and Im sure there is water somewhere.. Lions don't like to play in water.. that enclosure might have a had a Tiger at one time.. Id rather see the cat lying there,, then up and pacing.. All in all.. its not that bad... Ive seen much worse..

but back to tortoise topic... hope they offer you a new healthy tortoise or pay your Vet Bill..

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
mike taylor said:
I am with you on this I live by s&s and there shop is not much better than the shows they sell in . They have adult sulcatas with adult red footed tortoises .when I got my red foot from them it was sick . Cost 200.00 in vet bills but should have put two and two together . This is how she keeps a lion yes a lion in her yard. Sad very sad this cat just sits there in this cage with no water or food to be seen. And there is a pond in the enclosure! With no water in it ! You should see the red ear sliders they sell as pets that are under for inches but they can do that because the sign says they are for educational bull crap is for the money. And half of them are stuck on dry land and on there backs . And when you tell them they take there sweet time to flip them back over . I can go all day long on these people .

Well thank you. Had I even known about the lion I would have never EVER even looked at their animals-that right there speaks volumes about what they are about-and it isnt animals. And actually, I did not start off 'crappy" or "rude" as some posters are stating-I started off with I bought a turtle from you that was ill...towards the bottom I mentioned that I didnt have high hopes of a response. I know people make negative reviews for a myraid of reasons, but when they include names, dates, medications, etc., chances are they are not lying or trying to slander the business...they are upset about a sick animal. Not to mention the owner's attitude was pretty dead on in regards to a lot of the complaints-not to mention some have filed BBB complaints as well.

Madkins007 said:

While I completely understand your arguement, I have to disagree on one instance: customer service is customer service. I know this because that is my job. I get called dozens of times a day by clients complaining about issues out of my control-and they are always negative right out of the gate. But customer service is customer service. I should not have to "act right" or apologize because I was wronged-sorry but I just dont see the logic in that. And good for you that you can run your business the way you want, but I am required to give good customer service 100% of the time EVERY time, regardless if I want to get rid of the person or not-its the nature of the beast. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter-I have my tortoise and he is never going back to that place-and I just learned a valuable 300.00 lesson in going to reptile expos and making impulsive purchases.:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mike taylor said:

If you know of these bad conditions and neglect, have you called the authorities? To know that an animal is going with out food or water or proper care and not doing anything about it, is neglect in itself. Don't just complain about animal neglect if you don't do something to help the animals that can't help themselves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My suggestion, in response to the thread title, is to know who you are buying from and exercise some caution.

Hope this helps someone who has NOT yet made your mistake.

Minority1

5 Year Member
MildredsMommy said:
While I completely understand your arguement, I have to disagree on one instance: customer service is customer service. I know this because that is my job. I get called dozens of times a day by clients complaining about issues out of my control-and they are always negative right out of the gate. But customer service is customer service. I should not have to "act right" or apologize because I was wronged-sorry but I just dont see the logic in that. And good for you that you can run your business the way you want, but I am required to give good customer service 100% of the time EVERY time, regardless if I want to get rid of the person or not-its the nature of the beast. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter-I have my tortoise and he is never going back to that place-and I just learned a valuable 300.00 lesson in going to reptile expos and making impulsive purchases.:(

My two cents as a former EXA:

Customer service is customer service to a certain standpoint. You're not dealing with corporations with a certain set of standards to go by. Big corporations willingly take the blame because one or two free items means keeping a repeat customer, and that repeat customer will bring in more customers. They can afford the luxury. The same can't be said about small businesses. They don't all share the same views and practices.

Small businesses are more geared toward family oriented and close knit friends. When you attack a corporation the employees are like you said, are told to give 100% satisfaction. If you attack a small business, it's like you're attacking their family, their ethics, and their pride. These guys are gonna cling on to their experience and defend themselves to the ends of the Earth.

MildredsMommy said:

This sounds like you're not even giving them a chance to reply or try to fix the situation. Seems like you already had it in your mind that these guys cheated you and ran off.

Once again I have push the point that you should always research and do your homework before making these decisions. These are live animals and not clothing you can return after finding out it doesn't fit or if there's a defect in the product. A smartphone and a minute or two and you'll be able to find out what company you're buying from, their reviews, and any general information that would help solve your queries. Don't forget to ask all questions that need to be asked. What happens if so and so this? What is covered if there's an accident? And so forth. I think as a buyer we all have to be responsible for our purchases, know what we're getting into, and what we need to do to prepare ourselves for when things don't work out. Ask about refunding and return information before your purchases.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
O yes but they will not tell you what the outcome is. Don't know if they took the baby sliders and made her water the cat but you can bet I called the Texas Parks & Wildlife on them.
You know it would not be so bad if they would listen to you whenever you let them know they are making there animals sick by keeping them the way they do.I even told them about T.F.O. they just look at you like you are stupid. So I don't buy from them anymore.Found out about this site and followed the care sheets and my tortoises are doing grate. So some people don't care about the animals just the sale.So I'm just telling the good people on this site to not buy from these guys.No sale no money no more animal mistreating and no more pet store.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One of you that has dealt with them should post a review in the "Tortoise Vender Review" section if someone hasn't already. Then the other ones that has dealt with them post your experience. More people will be able to find it there then throughout this thread. Just post there only if you have had direct dealings with them, good or bad.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
MildredsMommy said:
Madkins007 said:

I've done customer service too, retail and service industries, for decades. Yes, as an employee, hired and paid to be helpful, there is one set of standards, but that is not the situation we are talking about here- this is a smaller company and you are the one that wants satisfaction. SOME smaller companies put a premium on great customer service by all employees, others not so much. This place sounds like the latter.

And THAT is EXACTLY why you should always start nice. The more unlikely they are to help and/or the more often they hear complaints, the thicker skin they have. Using a little 'consumer judo' and being the nice person who needs help pushes a completely different set of buttons. I've seen this from both sides and I know it works well. Sure, not 100% of the time- some people are just *&^%$s, but even then you rarely lose by starting nice.

Jd3

5 Year Member
MildredsMommy said:
mike taylor said:

Well thank you. Had I even known about the lion I would have never EVER even looked at their animals-that right there speaks volumes about what they are about-and it isnt animals. And actually, I did not start off 'crappy" or "rude" as some posters are stating-I started off with I bought a turtle from you that was ill...towards the bottom I mentioned that I didnt have high hopes of a response. I know people make negative reviews for a myraid of reasons, but when they include names, dates, medications, etc., chances are they are not lying or trying to slander the business...they are upset about a sick animal. Not to mention the owner's attitude was pretty dead on in regards to a lot of the complaints-not to mention some have filed BBB complaints as well.

Madkins007 said:

How do you react when someone calls you and says they know you're not going to fix it as the first thing?

You really should start with concerns and then escalate if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.