Any Suggestions?!?!?! Sold a Sick Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Unless you were cursing them, I don't think that was an appropriate response from a business person. Part of being a business owner is dealing with complaints and sometimes irate customers. By scolding them and telling them to "act right", you're only hurting your business because hey...looky here. Bad press...

Bad move on their part.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jd3 said:
How do you react when someone calls you and says they know you're not going to fix it as the first thing?

You really should start with concerns and then escalate if you need to.

I don't care how a disgruntled customer comes at me. The world is full of all sorts of personality types, and many people have been treated so poorly for so long by an utter lack of customer service that its disgusting. I don't blame people for their poor attitudes, pre-conceived notions, or obvious frustration.

If I value that customer, I will try to "talk them down off that ledge" and make things right. As a business owner, I would rather take a financial loss to keep a customer happy, than be "right" and lose a customer and see a thread like this. I've had retail customers start with cussing, accusations and threats, and by the time I was done with them, they were literally crying tears of joy. Seriously. Its called CUSTOMER SERVICE. It seems to have become a quaint antiquated notion, instead of an art form that any business owner should strive to master.

The only good thing about this lack of customer service in our society is that it makes it very easy for someone like me to excel in business in a competitive market.

In short: "How do I react...?" I DO MY FRIGGIN' JOB AND MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY! If someone doesn't have the stomach or talent for that, then they should not be dealing with the public. Plain and simple. You know why you don't see me playing basketball in the NBA? Because I SUCK at basketball.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tortus and Tom- I agree with you both that any decent company owner and their employees would try hard to provide good customer service, but it does not take long on sites like www.consumerist.com to see that an unfortunately large number of companies, large and small, seem to be staffed with absolute *&^%$'s for owners or representatives.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Madkins007 said:
Tortus and Tom- I agree with you both that any decent company owner and their employees would try hard to provide good customer service, but it does not take long on sites like www.consumerist.com to see that an unfortunately large number of companies, large and small, seem to be staffed with absolute *&^%$'s for owners or representatives.

I see it daily and agree wholeheartedly. My loyalty and my dollars go to companies that excel in customer service. Sometimes I drive my wife crazy because I won't go to places that fail, or employ the sort of people you mentioned above.

We had a pizza place we loved. They got our order wrong and the manager handled it extremely poorly. I called and tried to reason with her three times, and I failed. So I called corporate and appraised them of the situation and her inappropriate comments and behavior. I got an apologetic call back from her two days later, but I informed her and corporate that I would not be spending money there as long as she was employed there. Every few months I still call and ask who the manager is...

On the other side of that coin I also ALWAYS praise excellent service. You should see the look on an excellent waiter or customer services face when all has gone well and then I ask for a manager. I usually don't tell them why I'm asking for a manager. So much fun to see them beaming as I leave the establishment and their manager tells them what I said.

Bad service deserves and honest and frank complaint, and a revocation of my business if things are not satisfactorily resolved. Good service deserves a reward and lots of praise from the person(s) who received it.

Being told that you need to "act right" to receive good customer service, is NOT good customer service. In fact it shows a fair amount of arrogance and or ignorance.

Jd3

5 Year Member
It is bas service. But remember, we're trying to get something from the seller they expressly state they don't give. When you walk in the door with your hand open being polite goes a long way.

I do think consumers should be professional too. A lot of these guys love to breed. Or love a few things but import a lot to pay bills. They may know enough to get buy, but aren't experts like the awesome breeders that can't meet demand.

They usually survive because they sell cheap and quick not because of a lifetime commitments.

If you want lifetime service you shouldn't buy from the cheapest guy on the block and be surprised eye you get dollar store service.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jd3 said:
It is bas service. But remember, we're trying to get something from the seller they expressly state they don't give. When you walk in the door with your hand open being polite goes a long way.

I do think consumers should be professional too. A lot of these guys love to breed. Or love a few things but import a lot to pay bills. They may know enough to get buy, but aren't experts like the awesome breeders that can't meet demand.

They usually survive because they sell cheap and quick not because of a lifetime commitments.

If you want lifetime service you shouldn't buy from the cheapest guy on the block and be surprised eye you get dollar store service.

I agree with all of the above too. Good points.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I bought my first new car when I was 18. A Trans Am. I was naive and just wanted the car, and they knew it. After I got home, I thought about it and realized the payments and insurance are way too much. I went back to the dealership and talked to the manager about switching it for a cheaper used car, saying they knew I couldn't swing those payments. He pretty much yelled at me in front of everyone calling me "Sour grapes" over and over. All the other employees were staring.

Years later I still warn people to stay away from that place.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
I actually agree with you MildredsMommy, you are a paying customer in this case. When you choose to start a business you are accepting the responsibility of acting maturely & positively towards every individual regardless the severity of the issue at hand. The response you received in return I consider a poor reaction on Their part. I am a Landlord myself and I have had a small variety off issues brought to my attention...regardless of how irrelevant or small I considered the issue I had to address it promptly in a positive manner. The focus should be on solutions before anything else, not becoming aggressive.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
mike taylor said:
O yes but they will not tell you what the outcome is. Don't know if they took the baby sliders and made her water the cat but you can bet I called the Texas Parks & Wildlife on them.
You know it would not be so bad if they would listen to you whenever you let them know they are making there animals sick by keeping them the way they do.I even told them about T.F.O. they just look at you like you are stupid. So I don't buy from them anymore.Found out about this site and followed the care sheets and my tortoises are doing grate. So some people don't care about the animals just the sale.So I'm just telling the good people on this site to not buy from these guys.No sale no money no more animal mistreating and no more pet store.

well I "sucked it up" and made nice by emailing oh so politely to the owner and sent her the required documentation (vet bills) they asked for. Still waiting for a response. Guess I didnt act right again :( I am going your route and reporting them as well-it appears someone did to BBB already anyway.

Jd3 said:

Thank you for your reply-however I didn't set out to buy from ANYONE-heck I was just going to get worms! I had the unfortunate experience as a lot of people-looked at the little face and common sense and reasoning went right out the window. Normally I am a Consumer Guide Reading, Angie's List subscribing, review reading FREAK-of course this time it was all impluse-which bit me in the butt good. :rolleyes:

Jd3

5 Year Member
MildredsMommy said:
mike taylor said:
O yes but they will not tell you what the outcome is. Don't know if they took the baby sliders and made her water the cat but you can bet I called the Texas Parks & Wildlife on them.
You know it would not be so bad if they would listen to you whenever you let them know they are making there animals sick by keeping them the way they do.I even told them about T.F.O. they just look at you like you are stupid. So I don't buy from them anymore.Found out about this site and followed the care sheets and my tortoises are doing grate. So some people don't care about the animals just the sale.So I'm just telling the good people on this site to not buy from these guys.No sale no money no more animal mistreating and no more pet store.

well I "sucked it up" and made nice by emailing oh so politely to the owner and sent her the required documentation (vet bills) they asked for. Still waiting for a response. Guess I didnt act right again :( I am going your route and reporting them as well-it appears someone did to BBB already anyway.

Jd3 said:

Thank you for your reply-however I didn't set out to buy from ANYONE-heck I was just going to get worms! I had the unfortunate experience as a lot of people-looked at the little face and common sense and reasoning went right out the window. Normally I am a Consumer Guide Reading, Angie's List subscribing, review reading FREAK-of course this time it was all impluse-which bit me in the butt good. :rolleyes:

Oh I know how it goes! This scenario is essentially how these business models thrive.

Well how the reptile/pet industry as a whole thrive. Impulse is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.