Any suggestions?

leaf2002

5 Year Member
Okay, so I've been interested in tortoises for a while now and i have been constantly browsing the web and TFO for enclosure ideas. I have found amazing tort tables but most of them are hand made which I cannot do. Anyway the main question here is to ask:
Do you have any suggestions of good places to get indoor tortoise tables from.
Any help appreciated :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Make the rounds of garage sales and swap meets. Try to find an old, used 4 or 5-shelf book case. Take the shelves out and lay it on it's back. Line it with a shower curtain or big sheet of plastic. Add your substrate and 'furniture'. Add tortoise! and enjoy!!

Or if your tortoise isn't that big, you can use a smaller book case.

leaf2002

5 Year Member
Thank you, I will certainly take that suggestion in to account. And yes my tortoises are, hopefully, ;) going to be babies but two of them

edwardbo

5 Year Member
What are you planning on putting in it ? How much space do you have available ? Get creative ,you'd be surprised at how innovative one can get , big plastic bins , crates from behind stores . If money is not a problem the largest low exoterra is beautiful for display and observation , screen tops, I cover with tempered glass that can be moved for humidity ,heat and ventilation . They really are beautiful . Stop what your thinking ,very few of my many torts mind being behind glass . My female boxies love their "visits " enjoying cod liver oil rubs ,sphagnum saunas w/ gentle belly heat uv basking and fortified treats ( I inject cultivated worms with vit.mineral concoctions,). You have to pamper the lady's . However my monster males prefer to stay outside in their turtle paradise . I know they are always watching to see what's on the menu . Can turtles hear ? They have ear drums ..? They recognize my youngest son and know my routine ,give them a chance to know you and they will. I'm not going to get into the conditioning ,Pavlov s theory ,but they do learn ,and have memory . Sometimes I suspend food items so they get to work a little for their food ,I can't see keeping an animal closed in a box with out stimulation. Some thing to ponder ; we dream ,if you've ever had a puppy they dream .they run ,make sounds ,bark , whimper , if a puppy dreams then cats dream ,if cats dream turtles must dream .......... Pleasant dreams my new friends .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Any suggestions?

leaf2002 said:
hopefully, ;) going to be babies- two of them

It is great that you are doing research first!
I have another suggestion for you. Read up on the opinions (pros/cons) to keeping tortoise "pairs".
Happy reading!

leaf2002

5 Year Member
Well there are going to be two of them but they are babies so small. I am only going to put in the essential item in such as hides, water dishes , uvb light etc. Then if I have any space left that will allow me to be more creative. I do not know yet which substrate I will be using but I am so far planning on what I have heard, top soil an maybe coconut coir. Does that sound alright? Also I do have a limited amount of space but should be alright. Is 2x3 an alright size? Thanks for the input!

leaf2002

5 Year Member
Thank you, is it okay for tortoises to live in open topped tables all the time or does it have to have a lid on it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most hatchling torts do better in a closed chamber (humid environment). So if you are getting two hatchlings, and you get the plastic bin in my previous post, then you can just cut out some holes for the heat and lights and use the lid it comes with.