Any tips for a new Russian Tortoise parent???

mila.d

Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hello everyone, I got my Russian Tortoise, Blinky, about 2 months ago. I don’t know exactly how old he is but he is old enough for me to tell that he is a male. I have always been interested in owning a tortoise and after doing some research I decided to get my own. I know the basics and from what I can see so far I think he’s doing pretty well. Are there any good tips to ensure my tortoise is healthy and happy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a bad enclosure.

I think the enclosure needs to be much bigger and I would use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the ground for water. The tall rim and above ground placement on the current one make me nervous about flipping, or making the tortoise uncomfortable enough to just not use it.

If he climbs on top of either hide, he'll be able to escape. Russians are great climbers and capable of amazing feats of escape. The walls should be taller and the corners should be capped.

Hope this helps.

mila.d

CT
IMG_1507.jpg

I would also like to know if this is a suitable lamp fixture

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
The one bulb in it is considered a compact fluorescent. Not good, it can cause eye problems. As for the fixture, I am not sure.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Welcome to the forums. Very nice setup. Is it 5ft? You can add smal boulders and plants to create the illusion of a bigger set up. Look into all in one mercury vapor bulb. Cute torty.

mila.d

CT
Yeah, my dad was the one who cut the wood and said it was I think 63 or 65 inches long, but I can ask if he still remembers what the measurements are. Can I pick up some rocks from my garden?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Yes you can. See if you find round ones. No sharp edges. You can make it look something like this. Sanitize them in boiling water. Do not leave them boiling. Rocks can blow up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you can. See if you find round ones. No sharp edges. You can make it look something like this. Sanitize them in boiling water. Do not leave them boiling. Rocks can blow up.
This video is a terrible example of how to care for russians.
  1. These enclosures are too small.
  2. He's using 50% sand as substrate.
  3. Substrate is dry.
  4. He's got Timothy hay on top of the substrate spread everywhere. Russians are not grass eaters. If you are going to feed grass hay to a russian, it should be something softer and it should be chopped or blended up and rehydrated. Feeding them the steamiest type of hay you can buy, whole and dry, is not the way to go.
  5. Hay should never be on the substrate because it will mold with dampness and because you don't want them eating their substrate as they try to eat the hay that is spread all around, especially if the substrate is half sand.
  6. Sand substrate. Impaction risk and skin and eye irritant.
  7. High fiber diet has nothing to do with "calcium uptake".
  8. Cfl bulbs in both enclosures.
  9. Two females living together as a pair and he caught them on film in the middle of tortoise aggression to boot!
This is a great example of what is yielded when people of "research" on the internet. A person who is new to tortoises will have no idea that this guy who has had these tortoises for so long is doing so many things wrong.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
This video is a terrible example of how to care for russians.
  1. These enclosures are too small.
  2. He's using 50% sand as substrate.
  3. Substrate is dry.
  4. He's got Timothy hay on top of the substrate spread everywhere. Russians are not grass eaters. If you are going to feed grass hay to a russian, it should be something softer and it should be chopped or blended up and rehydrated. Feeding them the steamiest type of hay you can buy, whole and dry, is not the way to go.
  5. Hay should never be on the substrate because it will mold with dampness and because you don't want them eating their substrate as they try to eat the hay that is spread all around, especially if the substrate is half sand.
  6. Sand substrate. Impaction risk and skin and eye irritant.
  7. High fiber diet has nothing to do with "calcium uptake".
  8. Cfl bulbs in both enclosures.
  9. Two females living together as a pair and he caught them on film in the middle of tortoise aggression to boot!
This is a great example of what is yielded when people of "research" on the internet. A person who is new to tortoises will have no idea that this guy who has had these tortoises for so long is doing so many things wrong.

Great points. So rt need moist substrate?

With this link, I was showing off the build style and boulders to use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great points. So rt need moist substrate?

With this link, I was showing off the build style and boulders to use.
I'm sorry Alex, but if someone watches this video, they will be getting all the bad info along with what you are trying to show them about the rocks and style of table.

mila.d

CT
So exactly how much bigger does the enclosure have to be