Any Tortoise Lovers In Utica, Michigan?

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
I have a tortoise who id like to take to parks and explore with.. are there any other members who would do that as well? any tort species.
I have a sulcata, 4 years about 40 lbs, Shes a big girl, but id like to get her out of her yard once in a while =]
It would just be cool to do it with somebody else who enjoyed their company.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm from Michigan, but don't live there anymore. Just wanted to remind you to be careful taking your tort to places you don't know if it has been treated with chemicals or not. Good luck, hope someone is close by

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I am Metro Detroit area... but my torts are way too small to go on adventures. Plus, like Wellington said, you never know where there are chemicals, pesticides, trash, animal waste etc..... Better safe than sorry.

I know Suburban Jungle (local reptile rescue-check them out) does educational events at some of the metroparks. Maybe you could get in touch with them?

@saginawhxc is another Michigan member..... We gotta keep the Mitten crew together!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I'm the cool kid of the Michigan crew. I'm in Saginaw.

I wouldn't take my tortoise to a park though. Too many unknowns. There could be pesticides, harmful fertilizers, or just straight up garbage hidden around.

I'm not telling you not to do it, but I'm saying I wouldn't.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I just realized that I claimed to be the cool kid and then immediately started preaching about things I'm too scared to do.

I think I just exposed my own cool kid lie.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
yeah good thing you reminded me about that. ive got about an acre he can free roam which is perfect really lol just wanted to meet others

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Another Michigander here. ;D Since I've built my enclosed "tortoise garden" in my backyard, I've invited my friend to bring her box turtle by to get some vitamin D and nibble on some tortoise-safe plants. Unfortunately, her boxie is getting up there in age so I doubt she'll ever bring her by, but it could be the closest thing to a "tortie park" (even though my Russian probably doesn't want to share)! Nevertheless, building your own tort garden allows you to control which plants you grow, you can keep out pesticides and animal waste, and enclose the structure so your tort can't escape and is also safe from predators like hawks. :) I have a small fence around mine and it's covered with chicken wire.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
And if anybody here hasn't seen them Oxalis's gardens are really awesome. You really should check her threads out. I plan on taking some inspirations from her next spring at the new house.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
And if anybody here hasn't seen them Oxalis's gardens are really awesome. You really should check her threads out. I plan on taking some inspirations from her next spring at the new house.
Thanks so much!! I would do just about anything for my little tort! :D

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan

Yeah, I thought about making an offer to hang a hammock in there and move in for the summer! those would be some nice digs!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
My girlfriend just ordered a ENO Hammock Cyber Monday style.... She got it for like 75% off and free shipping from REI.

So now we are "Have hammock-will travel" we will just show up at all your houses and sleep with the torts!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My girlfriend just ordered a ENO Hammock Cyber Monday style.... She got it for like 75% off and free shipping from REI.

So now we are "Have hammock-will travel" we will just show up at all your houses and sleep with the torts!
:D