Any way to Age a tort?

Sheebz

Location (City and/or State)
Cullman, AL
Any possible way to age a tort? I know they all grow differently and the pet store told me she was about a year old but considering all the other things they told me I don't know if I trust it. She is about 5 1/2 inches long from end to end of her shell, and weighs about 10.9 oz . Anybody have a rough estimate???? :?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unfortunatley, there is no way. You can safely assume that the pet store has no idea either.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No to many variables only guesses

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you guys :)
Homes hingebacks don't developed the hinge for about 2 yrs I believe. So its safe to say yours is older than 2. One of mine is a male about 6" and he's at least 10yrs old. Is yours male or female.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
As @Anyfoot mentioned, they develop the hinge after the first couple of years, and yours is not a full-grown specimen, so that alone puts you in the 2-15 year mark. The top end of that range would only work if the tortoise has been in captivity a very short time, as wild growth is generally slower, so I would say yours is probably in the 5-10 year range, based on the size and growth that I can see.