Anybody else baby’s like to climb?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There's a whole lot of people with climbing hatchlings and adults.
Nice enclosure. I would bury the water dish so it level with the top of the substrate. Makes it easier for them to want to use it. Also, unless you know your tort can right himself you might want to make it so he can't climb up there. If they flip off and can't right themselves they can die if not found soon enough.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thanks Wellington. I based the enclosure on what I have read and learnt on here, I’m in the process of making the outdoor one too. I keep pushing that water dish down, I will try to bury it a bit better.

I am worried about it flipping over and getting stuck, thankfully someone is at home at all times but I’m not sure how I can stop it.. it’s perfect wood for it to grip with its claws, unless I change the hide to something else.. it doesn’t use the hide at all, it prefers to bury itself.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he doesn't use the hide but now wants too climb it I would remove it. Maybe put the leaves that are on it in a pile and he can climb on those which shouldn't be a flipping hazard and also still lay on them.