Anybody else have a tortoise who hates soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Haha my guy will bot stop trying to get out lol he runs around tried to climb the side the entire soak everytime he won't stop fighting me lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Try doing it first thing in the morning before he's warmed up and maybe increase the water temperature a little.

A box with higher sides might help too.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
JoesMum said:
Try doing it first thing in the morning before he's warmed up and maybe increase the water temperature a little.

A box with higher sides might help too.

Lol I've tried it all. He only stops to use the washroom

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Ours also spend a majority of the time just trying to get out. Sometimes they stop for a drink or to have a go. Otherwise, they mostly try to climb the sides.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
Javari & Tikii normaly just kick back and stretch there legs and love the warmish water for about 15 mins sometimes they poo and pee right away sometimes its a few mins later, then after they poo i switch the water to cleaner water and there fine for another few mins but then they get to zoomin around the big dish trying to get out. I think there getting use to me doing this 2 times a day. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had several that did this and every single one of them got used to it in time. Either way, the soak is still good for them and so is all the exercise they get while trying to escape. Is your water warm, but not hot? Shallow enough?

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have some that were initially apprehensive, I *think* they may get uneasy if they can't gauge the depth of the water? When I install a new dish often they will drink from but not climb into it without encouragement. Usually after placing them in it repeatedly, they seem to get acclimated/ feel nore comfortable and eventually take to soaking on their own. I am sure you already do, but just incase...if the soaking seems to stress your tortoise out then I would make sure they have access to shallow drinking containers too, because a stressed tortoise is unlikely to drink during his/her soak.
b132bfa6.jpg

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Tom said:
I have had several that did this and every single one of them got used to it in time. Either way, the soak is still good for them and so is all the exercise they get while trying to escape. Is your water warm, but not hot? Shallow enough?

The water is a perfect temperature. He's just frisky doesn't want to sto running around. He never stop walking lol only to baSk a while

Status
Not open for further replies.