Anybody in Florida?

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Can anyone in Florida hook me up with some invasive hyacinth or maybe some water lettuce?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh man, wished you asked this last year. I had a bunch of hyacinth I had to dump when winter came. I tried to over winter them inside but it didn't work.
I didn't buy any this year.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Oh man, wished you asked this last year. I had a bunch of hyacinth I had to dump when winter came. I tried to over winter them inside but it didn't work.
I didn't buy any this year.
Ah, dang it. Probably would be better to wait till spring anyway.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of that stuff is now illegal in Florida.
Illegal to possess and very illegal to sell. However, I've seen water lettuce for sale online.
The other option would be to locate some growing wild and just grab it in a net. The adult plants send of runners and multiply quickly.
That's exactly why they are illegal.
I found some growing last year and reported it to the Florida FWC
It could wreak havoc on our Everglades ecosystem....And already has.
This group was so near the bank that I was able to net it all.
You can see a yellow tinge to a few of the leaves from a pervious and unsuccessful herbicide spray attempt by the government.
This stuff is SO hard to kill!

Attachments

• 20220505_115259.jpg
    20220505_115259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Illegal to possess and very illegal to sell. However, I've seen water lettuce for sale online.
The other option would be to locate some growing wild and just grab it in a net. The adult plants send of runners and multiply quickly.
You can see a yellow tinge to a few of the leaves from a pervious and unsuccessful herbicide spray attempt by the government.
Man. Florida has a lot of invasives.

OliveW

Branford, FL
That stuff is choking our lakes to death around here. They have to use some kind of machinery to clear it so you can see water. The smell is horrific for a long time after.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Man. Florida has a lot of invasives.
We sure do.
And it's WAY TOO LATE to do anything about most of it.
Here in Florida we only take things seriously when it's too late. Then we pass stupid laws to try to over compensate for our lack of action.
Right now if you look in a tree it's mostly exotic birds. If you look around the ground or fence line you'll only see exotic reptiles and lizards and you can fish all day long and never catch a native fish except maybe a bass.
It's like living in a 1980s pet shop.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought the manatees ate it???

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I thought the manatees ate it???
We sure do.
Here in Florida we only take things seriously when it's too late. Then we pass stupid laws to try to over compensate for our lack of action.
Right now if you look in a tree it's mostly exotic birds. If you look around the ground or fence line you'll only see exotic reptiles and lizards and you can fish all day long and never catch a native fish except maybe a bass.
Crazy

OliveW

Branford, FL
We sure do.

I know that wasn't supposed to be a comical post, but the 1980's pet shop line made me laugh.

It's really so true and sad. We are avid fishermen (and woman) and catch lots of non native fish. We have caught some truly bizarre things. A few times, we have contacted FWC and they really don't care.

I even tried to get them to relocate a gigantic alligator snapping turtle that was stuck on our property after a pond dried up. They are endangered/protected in Florida and they literally told me to get people with shovels together flip it over our fence. I have no idea how it got here to begin with, only saw it trying to climb the fence to get out.