Anyone else here tired of being deleted or fluffed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
This is the internet, people should be prepared for rudeness and arguing??

That's like saying, this is life and you should be prepared to be treated rudely and unkindly. It may be true (life is like that) but it doesn't excuse the people that are rude and argumentative and not nice.

Oh yes, I know. Freedom of speech. I forgot. In this country that is always our excuse for being not nice, for saying inappropriate things, and for not considering others (including children). Because our freedom of speech always comes before the welfare of children or the feeling of others.

I agree....this thread has gone on long enough.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Yes they should be prepared for hostile debates and arguments. This. Is. The. Internet. I don't know what candy land some people are living in when they are surprised or offended by what anyone says on the Internet. Half the time, the people being offended a) are actually wrong and b) aren't even being insulted, the Internet just doesn't show attitude or tone. I have had to write a post 2x as long as necessary just to get the same tho across, so that people don't get offended because they don't know how it's being stated.

And I'm sure this will get read in a way of which I didn't write it, but I don't feel like typing 2x as much to get my point across without "offending"others or being rude.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
Yvonne, when will this be available/complete/implemented? I mean, in the interim what will be the temporary fix?

I am not Yvonne, but I can tell you that yesterday I did take the example Charlie sent me, reworked it for use in this forum, the other Mods (four I believe) did look at it and comment. At this point three Mods are in full favor of trying it and one is more reluctant. However, as I have stated before this is Josh's forum and as such all such changes must go through him. At this point, he is doing some thinking and seeing how he wants to handle things. So as of now, that is where things are sitting.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
I think at this point this thread is potentially hurting the forum and needs to cease. I'm sure the people that it really affects(the mods) and veteran members have said enough of their mind by now and need to handle any further conversations in PM or personal email/phone/etc.

I've been using the forum for about a year now and really enjoy checking it everyday and helping out where I can.

But I can honestly say I'm growing tired of seeing this thread continue. Any newcomer that comes across this thread may get turned off rather than getting excited about some of the members here.

So with that being said, I'm grateful for this forum and the dedication of MANY of its members and I hope it continues to grow and help shed light on turtle/tortoise care for the masses. God bless

Well said! This is not pleasant to read. I get that not everything is rainbows and butterflies all the time... But are we seriously having such a lengthy discussion about the difficulty of being polite to each other?? I understand there's more to it, but we are here to talk about the animals after all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
about the difficulty of being polite to each other?

This is about so much more than politeness....and absolutely some will not want to view this thread and others will....simple really, don't visit the thread or do visit the thread.....choice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
txturtle13 said:
But are we seriously having such a lengthy discussion about the difficulty of being polite to each other??

No Sir/Ma'am. (Sorry. Your username doesn't give away your gender) We are having a discussion about what is perceived as unfair and anonymous censorship, with no recourse or accountability.

In the end, I think the forum will be a better place for having had the discussion, and that should be everyone's goal!

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
txturtle13 said:
Well said! This is not pleasant to read. I get that not everything is rainbows and butterflies all the time... But are we seriously having such a lengthy discussion about the difficulty of being polite to each other?? I understand there's more to it, but we are here to talk about the animals after all.

I guess not everyone's parents taught the lesson "If you cannot say something nice, don't say anything at all". Again, I understand not everything is rainbows and butterflies, but there are some basic rules of human communication and being civil is one of them. Generally, most people, excluding the Internet Trolls, will take someone more seriously if they communicate using civil tone than if someone comes out swinging and looking for a knock down drag out fight. Not to elevate myself from being guilty of entering and or starting a "Jane, you ignorant -Fluffed Word-" (for you older SNL fans :D) debate, but I try to recognize when I have lowered my conversation to that level and am person enough (political correctness inserted here) to apologize for my actions.

And how do we truly know it was the mods doing the editting and not the NSA????????? Oh no, the black van is outside my door.....Ah......Oh wait, that is just the cable guys.

Now, let's get back to the discussions about the real animals, such as our torts, rather than the perceived animals lurking in the corners waiting to start a heated debate.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Just an observation....ya know, peeps talk of the issues within the forum, but do you all see that right here on this very thread, youre all doing just what this forum is for....having an open, logical debate, in a civil format, exchanging ideas and negotiating a change with quantifiable results....

Im a newbie here, and to tortin. Within my short 6 months here, ive met countless awesome people. Theres at least a dozen strangers here, whom i have emailed countless times, that have obliged me, and answered all my redundant questions. IMO, based on past experiences and from what ive seen here, TFO is a great forum, but nothing is ever perfect.

Mods, are just people too. People by our inate human-ness, are judgemental, biased, opinionated. I think perhaps were being a tad hard on them and shouldnt assume theyre all "evil". Having said that, i have seen a few instances of rudeness etc, but ive never found myself offended. Ive even had a mod correct a post for me once where i blatantly made myself loom a fool,(which is easy for me, lol)

All in all, i think both side here have vaild points...somethings can indeed be better, but i also think they arent all as bas as some are lead to believe.

Lastly, i dont even know this man Josh. I get it, he started this forum, but ive seen many people say "its joshs show", that i dont find accurate. CEO, or what ever he may be, hed have no forum if not for his members, so that needs to be recognized. Having said that, people still must realize this is still a private domain, and at times not all things wi be 100% fair at all times. Unless someone wants to charter a TFO constitution, i think we all need to be understanding of the processes here, and be patient and trying to change things.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
Are there only 4 complete and entire mods for this entire Forum?

The current Mods are: Yvonne, Barb, Cameron, Mark, Kelly, and myself. David is still out on medical leave, but does come in every so often for a short while. Kristina I am not sure of.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Jacqui said:
ascott said:

The current Mods are: Yvonne, Barb, Cameron, Mark, Kelly, and myself. David is still out on medical leave, but does come in every so often for a short while. Kristina I am not sure of.

Shelly! :p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jaizei said:
Jacqui said:
ascott said:

Shelly! :p

OMGosh!! I am sooo red right now! I did forget Shelly. I knew that list did not sound right. *hides head in shame*

Thank you Cameron for correcting that.

Ummmm can I blame that on old age? :p :D

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Wow... I have not been a member of the forum for very long and am exhausted just reading all of this. I only joined to get advice from those that have walked the path of tort ownership and learn from their misakes/success. I take all advice into consideration given my location, etc. Since we are not all the same, we cannot expect we all will share the same views however, we are all here for the same common cause and goals of giving our precious torts the best life we can. I do appreciate the mods assisting in helping everyone play nice. I am sure some of my posts seem like stupid questions or non important topics, however they are important to me and I always assume someone who can relate or help will respond. I do appreciate everyone here and enjoy looking at everyone's posts and pictures. So it may not be perfect but its still a great forum.

FROG

5 Year Member
Austria
I think ascott is right , nobody should be allowed to change any postings or delete any threads because they don't agree with the way you word it . I have been a member since May and find what seems to be a large amount of animosities between some members. I truly enjoy several threads and often wonder why some of the more experienced members seem to be selectively inactive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ANGELA13 said:
I think ascott is right , nobody should be allowed to change any postings or delete any threads because they don't agree with the way you word it .

Let's just address this right now. None of us arbitrarily change postings or delete threads because we don't agree with the way you've worded it.

We change bad/cuss/inappropriate words. We delete whole posts that break the rules.

The first rule is very specific: Do not post anything blatantly rude and/or insulting.

This is most often the rule that the mods have to enforce.

And as long as I'm on the subject of "THE RULES," rule #5 states:

Taunting, berating, or antagonizing moderators and/or staff will not be tolerated. Issues with our 100% volunteer staff can be directed to [email protected].

Some of you have skated very close to breaking rule #5 here in this thread.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
ANGELA13 said:
(snip) I truly enjoy several threads and often wonder why some of the more experienced members seem to be selectively inactive.

One interesting phenomena on almost all forums- but especially hobby-based forums- is that at some point a lot of 'old hands' just stop being as active. Part of it is moving on to other things, some of it is a strong sense of 'I've already answered this question a thousand times' or some other form of 'been there done that'. Some of it is a basic tendency in any hobby that as you get deeper and deeper into it, you begin to get interested in different aspects that may or may not still involve being active in the forum.

This also happens in hobby-based clubs, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To my knowledge, we DO NOT change anything because we don't like the way you worded it or disagree with it. We will correct bad language, name calling and even if you know your spell check did you wrong, we will spell the word correctly for you. I personally have done this once and did send that person a pm. Like I said before, we do make mistakes, we may forget a pm here or there. We do not delete, or change things just because we don't agree with it. We are not perfect, same as all of you, we do make mistakes, same as all of you. We may forget to do something, same as all of you. We bite our tongues way more then any of you. We try to be fair with all the bad post we do have to delete. Sometimes editing is done so a post can stay in. We try to give the offending parties as many, too many chances, to stop their mud slinging, before deleting. Tell me you haven't seen one or more of us mods asking for a thread that has gone bad to keep it nice and on subject. The older members seem to forget why they are here. Thankfully many newer members have been pointing it out. We not only have our own lives to live and it's not just this forum but we 99% of the time will approve a new member, welcome them and try to advise them if possible. Approve all new members post, keep track if they are duplicates, which usually they are, scan other threads to see if everyone is following rules and still read threads and post just for our own knowledge and fun. I think this idea of us having our own agenda and deleting because we don't agree with whats being said, or because we don't like the way someone worded it is very insulting. Usually people that are so suspicious of others, are so, because they are suspect themselves.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
deleting because we don't agree with whats being said, or because we don't like the way someone worded it is very insulting.

This is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time.

Usually people that are so suspicious of others, are so, because they are suspect themselves.

I have found this to be true too of the suspect folks trying to render their actions innocent to others instead of owning their own actions for what they are....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know where you think we are hiding anything. I don't lie, don't need to hide behind anything and I have nothing to hide. There are some people that no matter what we do, they will never be happy, will always be suspicious and will always find something to complain about. Unfortunately, I think this forum has more then its fair share and your one of them. Can't please them all, and I am done trying to explain what we do and don't do. Chow😆

Status
Not open for further replies.