Anyone else watch their tortoises doing this very often?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
That’s so cute! Your little tortoise REALLY wants those leaves and flowers. Did you grow that from seed? It looks like you have a variety of things growing in the enclosure. ? I’m always looking for new ideas. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like to know what else you have growing in there and what has done well in the enclosure. Right now I just have pothos and a spider plant in my enclosure and then a bunch of fake plants. I’d like to be able to slowly replace the fake plants with real ones.

Jannra

Canadian Prairie
That’s so cute! Your little tortoise REALLY wants those leaves and flowers. Did you grow that from seed? It looks like you have a variety of things growing in the enclosure. ? I’m always looking for new ideas. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d like to know what else you have growing in there and what has done well in the enclosure. Right now I just have pothos and a spider plant in my enclosure and then a bunch of fake plants. I’d like to be able to slowly replace the fake plants with real ones.
I have a dandelion, a Christmas cactus, a spineless prickly cactus, a spider plant, a habiscus, a lilac, some clover, a peach tree, 2 jade plants and I have started a strawberry plant in one of the spots it hasn't started coming up from the root yet. I started most of them from scratch those that I didn't I kept quarantine since last year before putting them in the enclosure. I'm going to keep the things that can grow big trimmed so that they can't get too big for my space I also have an area in my Is front yard where I plant more pansies, strawberries and violas And I don't get rid of the weeds in my backyard so that I can harvest dandelion leaves.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Wow that’s a lot of different plants! Thanks for sharing all of that, I appreciate it.

Jannra

Canadian Prairie
Wow that’s a lot of different plants! Thanks for sharing all of that, I appreciate it.
No problem I like to have a variety it looks nice provides different types of shade as they grow and I'm hoping to stop him/her from getting too picky

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have observed this as well. I've tried to incorporate this into my enclosure designs, though it usually happens by accident. I have cactus growing in enclosures that I block so that the tortoises can't eat the base of the plant, which would obviously destroy it. New pads will grow and overhang the barriers to the base of the plants. They can eat the new growth when they want, without damaging the plant or prohibiting new/re-growth.