Anyone Else's Indoor Tort Slowing Down for Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
For weeks Trevor hasn't been very active. He'll eat every few days if he feels like it or we put him in front of the food. Problem is most days we're gone early and home late. Didn't gain any weight this last month (we suspect his growth to be slowing down now that he's 4.3 inches). Temps are actually good I think...first thing I thought of...we're keeping his gradient to go up to 95, although some parts of the enclosure might get to 65 (he doesn't go in those...next big enclosure we're doing over xmas break will have more adjustable heat). He's been sitting in one spot which is about 80 in the day and 70 at night. It would be a few steps to go bask. We haven't made any changes.

If we get him up and do a warm soak, he'll go bask and eat. Otherwise, we don't suspect he moves all day (nothing moved around like usual, and no food gone). Any chance the air temp might be cold to him (we keep our house about 60 F) even though the ground temps with the temp gun are good? We're going to re-check for pinworms (he finished treatment a couple weeks ago--thought he'd perk up after that) once he poops at a good time for us to take it in to the vet with our work schedules.

Any ideas? I sure don't remember him being this inactive last winter. No signs of illness. If he didn't perk up with a soak or was going days and days without eating, sure I'd take him to the vet. I just keep thinking he's going to snap out of it like usual (he will do this a couple days in a row sometimes with weather changes, then be fine). Thanks!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yes, our group sems to slow down some when it gets colder, I think it is natural.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy did that for more than a week when it started to get cold here, but now I think he got used to it, he is back to his old self. I have a heater in his room but it is because it is so cold here during the winter, I kind of have no choice. I am still on a sick leave so I bother him all day long so he is active but when I was at work before, I had a webcam filming Hermy and he was not moving much when we were not home. Sometimes, he would stay in his cold side all day long, sleeping and not eating not even a bite, I remember worrying about that because he would stay in the same spot and sleep. I remember you told us that he was more active on the weekend, is he still more active and only slows down during the week?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
When we wake him up on the weekends he is his normal self--moving around to bask and eat. During the week we suspect he doesn't move all day as nothing is moved around like he does on the weekend, and typically the food isn't touched. I think the difference on the weekend is we wake him up. Otherwise he stays burrowed, maybe coming to the surface some days. He had a great day today, but this has gone on during the weekdays for awhile now. So weird.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Mine were, but then it got sunny and they got to spend some time in the vacation condo AKA a big rabbit cage I keep outside. They are loving the sunshine. 80 derees...not bad for December.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Mine have not slowed down eating but they are indoors where they don't have as much room so they are not as active.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
My adult redfoots always slow down in the winter even it if stays warm outside. They eat here and there but not like they do in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.