Anyone ever deal with fleas?

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Couple of opossums tried to hole up in our backyard for a few nights. We ran them off but now fleas are everywhere, I don't think they will bother the torts but what is safe to use to get rid of them? I see lots of pet safe stuff out there but none of it specifies reptiles. Appreciate any ideas!! Thanks!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have to say probably the possums didn't cause fleas all by themselves. They are a victim also. In other words the dirt in your yard is already infected. It's interesting that our indoor cat doesn't get fleas at all. That's unusual too. I think it's because our home is built on a cement slab. It stops fleas from coming through the dirt. I don't know what to tell you to use to get rid of them in a yard. I do think diatomaceous earth is a really good thing in all the hidden places in your house.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Chihuahua, Chester. Who is now deceased developed a horrible flea allergy. I think the neighbor feral cats carried them. And they had gotten into the house and into the carpeting.
I tried everything to kill them and eventually had to rip out every bit of carpeting and install laminate.
Luckily. It's a tiny house.
Also, luckily my "new" Chihuahua is not allergic and does well with her monthly flea drops on her neck.
I also don't get bitten by those nearly invisible bast@rds while relaxing inside the house anymore.