Anyone ever feed pinkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I bought some frozen ones from my sister in laws pet store. My bearded dragons didn't want them so I gave Tater 2 of them and she ate them so fast...I've never seen her eat so fast! I'm not giving them to her on a reg basis...I know they are high in fat. It was her protein day...I gave her those and skipped the low fat cat crunchies that day. She plows thru Mazuri pellets and strawberries, but she ate the pinkies the fastest! Anyone feed them????

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm not fond of the idea...not because I'm squeamish...I'M NOT! I just feel that it's hard enough to balance the amount of protein a tort gets without adding pure protein items. It's the old addage..."just because they like it, doesn't mean it's good for them.''

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I feed mine frozen pinkies once a month - that's about the only protein I give them though (besides the bugs they eat in the enclosure.)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
dreadyA said:
I'm sure they do come across a mouse hole in the wild :]

Exactly ...RF"S are omnivores ,and in the wild eat decaying as well as living proteins from animal fats . Also regardless of WC or CB their genetic code/make up is "designed " for this varied* diet. Key Word ...*
I do feed the adults pinkies and or High end beef dog crushed cuttle bone once a week . The females during egg laying season are always on the demand for more calcium intake. Hence alot of them knawing on stones...I saw someone ask on a different post. Cuttle and or calcium stones for birds work very well, also have different " greens" and flavors that seem to attract the torts.
JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While there is little evidence Red-foots need more protein than other species of tortoises, they can certainly handle it as far as their digestive system goes.

And they do love pinkies, although the older 'hoppers' are the more nutritious choice.

Like you said, not an every day, or even an every week, thing, but a nice treat! (If you can stomach it!)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have only fed pinkies a couple of times, but do sometimes feed older mice to mine.;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
RFs are omnivores so pinkies are welcome though as Mark says hoppers or adults (for larger RFs) are probably a better choice. An example of the opportunistic nature of these guys; we had a robin nesting over the enclosure, a wind storm came thru and down came nest. We found nest and one foot and hour later that was gone. Such is nature.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think I'd better come out of my (sulcata) shell for a moment and get caught up on these other species...:p

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Haven't fed mine pinkies yet since they are too young.
I do feed mine butter worms occasionally, and they really like those.

I'll definitely feed pinkies when the reddfoots get some size to them, afterall they are forest creatures and feed on bugs etc., that they would find in the forest.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If you want to call me I will tell you stories of Redfoots in Colombia "running" through the forest with a dead monkey in their mouth to keep it away from the others. Redfoots are clearly the "vultures" of the tortoise world. they seem like they have figured out how to live in two separate worlds at once. Everyone knows that I love them! What a super adaptable tortoise..

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
elegans said:
If you want to call me I will tell you stories of Redfoots in Colombia "running" through the forest with a dead monkey in their mouth to keep it away from the others. Redfoots are clearly the "vultures" of the tortoise world. they seem like they have figured out how to live in two separate worlds at once. Everyone knows that I love them! What a super adaptable tortoise..
The mental picture is great like barnyard hens with a mouse.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
elegans said:
If you want to call me I will tell you stories of Redfoots in Colombia "running" through the forest with a dead monkey in their mouth to keep it away from the others. Redfoots are clearly the "vultures" of the tortoise world.

That's pretty dang cool. Who'd guess from their gentle nature that they are such "savages" at heart?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I feed my tortoise a pinkie each month and she loves them it iw gone within 30secs and then she eats a piece of lettuce to wash it down :p

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Traveller said:
Haven't fed mine pinkies yet since they are too young.
I do feed mine butter worms occasionally, and they really like those.

I'll definitely feed pinkies when the reddfoots get some size to them

How young is too young? Mine is 2.5" should I feed it some protein 1x/week?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm not an expert in hatchling diet, but giving a baby tort a lot of fat and meat does not seem like a great idea. We want to aim for a slow growth rate and good nutrition at first. www.turtletary.com suggests waiting until about 6 months, which sounds reasonable.

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
Ive never fed pinkies but I know for sure my redfoots eat baby birds that fall from a palm tree in my yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.