Anyone ever taken online classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Next semester I decided to sign up for online classes, so that way I don't have to drive an hour every day just to get to school. I have two classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then two online classes, Calculus and some music class that is apparently the easiest class ever.

I am not too worried about the music, obviously, but Calculus is hard as it is. Does the fact that it is online instead of actually walking into the classroom really make any sort of difference? Haha, kinda nervous about this!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure you'll do fine. Quit worrying about it!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My kids love and do great in all their online classes. Myself on the other hand, would never take an online class. I want to see my teacher face to face and know she or he is there to walk me through any problems I have.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I have taken a few, to say the least. I have a bachelors and a masters degree that I did online. It is a different way of learning but not difficult. You do have to be self motivated though!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'll be the voice of opposition, I guess. I'm working on my masters right now. I've taken classes via compressed video and online. I seriously don't like the online classes for several reasons. First, the window for online participation is 25/7 and some profs think you can actually devote that much time to your reading and threaded discussions. Also, because they aren't seeing you face to face, you have to present yourself and your learning entirely in written work, and the profs set a high standard for that work. Right now I'm taking Social Literacies and Sociolinguistics as an online class. The best thing about the class is that I've learned the term "mushfake." I can honestly say that I mushfaked my last paper and most of my posts and am still doing alright grade-wise. Not sure I'm learning much, though.
The compressed video classes are OK. Seeing the profs and other students, and hearing their voices is an improvement over the threaded discussions. Profs can't resist lecturing in compressed video classes, and I learn well from a lecture format, so it works for me.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
I am full time online. I have been for a couple years! I failed most of my classes in high school in the early years.. (simply did not care and did not have the attention level to do work) I took online classes to make up failed classes. I liked them so much that this year, my senior year of high school, I am taking all my classes online. I am passing with a 3.2 GPA ... Not the best but way better than my 1.7 GPA freshmen year :p

My point is, I believe online learning is better for learning and learning right... :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would really miss the on the spot communication from other students and teachers. I tend to learn more with the discusion and feedback parts in any class. Plus I would hate to have to convey my thoughts, just with the written word. Just my very biased feelings for classes, I never want to even try to take. :D Plus I think in this world we are slowly more and more isolating ourselves off from each other. A sad thing in my mind. :(

Edna, thanks for teaching me a new term! :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I found a calculus class that is also just tuesdays and thursdays, so now I'm just taking the music class online. I have heard that it is a very easy class and the reason they only offer it online is because when it was an actual class, most of it was online anyways.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
CourtneyAndCarl said:
I found a calculus class that is also just tuesdays and thursdays, so now I'm just taking the music class online. I have heard that it is a very easy class and the reason they only offer it online is because when it was an actual class, most of it was online anyways.

I think Math classes are best as in the classroom classes because if you have questions, it is not easy to express them over the internet, especially when you get to higher level math cclasses like calculus. I took Calc 1 online and failed miserably, then I took it in a classroom and passed with a B. Some classes are okay online, but I personally prefer the ability to discuss things they way you can in a classroom.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
I think the most important thing about online classes is discipline. As long as you do the work you should be fine. But I agree, math classes are best in a classroom setting. Online, the teacher may provide notes but for me personally actually seeing the teacher work out the problem and explain was alot easier than reading/looking at it. When I was enrolled in college I did take various online courses though, most were the easier classes. The only math related class I took online was a low-level accounting class. The higher levels I definitely took in a class.

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Texas
I absolutely love online classes. When I found out they were offered at my community college I was all over them. Especially since I was driving an hour away to get to school just like you. Math was the one subject however that I refused to take online. This is just personal preference for me though, I am not good at math at all. It may be different for you though. Now that I am working on my bachelors my university does not offer any online classes for my degree which is a huge bummer for me. I take the once a week classes to avoid having to drive out to school up to 4 times a week! Just 2 days a week for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.