Anyone ever use Hemlock barkdust/mulch for substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
So after thinking about it some, I have decided to run the Heat Ropes on a timer with them coming on for 2 hours and then being off for 1 hour.

I now have my 100w CHE attached to the new thermostat.

Still interested in the rheostats, but any concerns with this set up? The humidity currently is very nice at about 90%.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
mightymizz said:
So after thinking about it some, I have decided to run the Heat Ropes on a timer with them coming on for 2 hours and then being off for 1 hour.

I now have my 100w CHE attached to the new thermostat.

Still interested in the rheostats, but any concerns with this set up? The humidity currently is very nice at about 90%.

This sounds very functional.

The rheostats do not use a temperature probe, they simply adjust the amount of electricity being supplied to the appliance. It's similar to a dimmer switch but they are not the same. Either would work fine for this application.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The difference between the rheostat and the thermostat is that the thermostat senses the temperatures at the probe and adjust accordingly.

I don't run my ropes on a controller anymore. I use the thermostat for the CHE, and set the ropes up to run at about 90F by how they are spaced. It is not at 90 by the time it hits the surface through all that insulatation, but just a little gently warm. I missed where the probe was being uses for the ropes- sorry!

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Hey Mark, mind if I ask what you have found to be good spacing? Is that still about 2 inches if I remember correctly?

So you leave power to the ropes all day then, but with correct spacing, feel safe about temps. and not having really any possible fire potential?

PS- I do have to say that so far with the ropes and this new enclosure pretty much totally covered (Minus a few openings where I didn't cut the wood so straight) the humidity has been at 90% or greater. I am almost starting to wonder if it stays that high, if it might be too high?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mightymizz said:
Hey Mark, mind if I ask what you have found to be good spacing? Is that still about 2 inches if I remember correctly?

So you leave power to the ropes all day then, but with correct spacing, feel safe about temps. and not having really any possible fire potential?

PS- I do have to say that so far with the ropes and this new enclosure pretty much totally covered (Minus a few openings where I didn't cut the wood so straight) the humidity has been at 90% or greater. I am almost starting to wonder if it stays that high, if it might be too high?

I average ~80% humidity in my enclosure. It's most when I add water the the substrate and slowly tapers off when they've evaporated it out of the substrate by the end of the week. I shoot for 70% minimum and this setup easily provides this for me.

I understand your concern for the fire hazard. I place my trust in the product. The hydrokables diagram putting them in a fish tank, so I feel very comfortable with them and I know the Big Apple ropes are good too. In reality, yes it is a fire hazard. I try to keep a good amount of water/moisture on the ropes and I think this helps.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Like Redstrike said.

The thing I like about the Big Apple ropes are that they just plain don't get that hot. You can tape them down with electrical tape and it won't melt it. I taped them to a big sheet of ABS plastic, about 1/8" thick, and the heat warped the plastic, but did not cause ANY melting damage.

About 2" apart worked for me. This is the trickiest part of the whole thing- finding a pattern you like. On the other hand, it is not real critical to get exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.