Anyone had any success breeding/keeping yellow foots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Hey guys, I recently got in three adult yellow foots, one male and two females. They are still getting acclimated to their new environment, but are pretty outgoing already. I've kept a small yellow foot for the last 4 years without any issues. I was wondering if anyone has had any success breeding them. You don't see them as available as red foots. Is there a reason for this? Thanks.

-Matt

Here are the three I recently bought.

Female (left) Male (right)
100_1892.jpg

Female
100_1900.jpg

100_1905.jpg
[/align]

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Well I can't answer your question, but I may be buying one from you someday if you do figure it out ;)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are a little trickier than Redfoots to breed and keep. If you think Redfoots like it wet, Yellowfoots like it really wet and really aren't fond of bright lights. If you can keep them warm, wet and dark and have the females at adult size, you shouldn't have trouble breeding them.

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
They are definitely adult size females. I'm going to buy another male pretty soon. I really hope they will breed this year, I have a nice shady outdoor pen with lots of big oak trees. I keep a sprinkler in there and soak it everyday before work. This is in the summer of course, COME BACK SUMMER!!!!

I just went out to check on them, and the male was trying to mate with the two females. I just got them two days ago! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Where do you live? Is it naturally humid?

One female is 11" scl and about 12 lbs, and the other is 12" scl and weighs 15 lbs. The male is just a bit smaller at 10.5" scl and probably weighs around 10 lbs.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. It's crazy humid here in the summer. It's in the 40's and raining the last few days, but the heated shed I keep them in is warm and humid. I can't wait till they can go back outside night and day.

-Matt

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not quite adult yet :p My female didn't start laying until she was between 13 and 14 inches. That male is also a bit small. He might get the job done, but he'll do better once he is over 12 inches.

Danny

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
How are you supposed to keep it hot and wet? do you mist everyday? or do you just dunk them in water? what about shell rot? if they like it dark, does that mean then that they spend all their time in the sleeping area? what is the temperature in the basking area and in the rest area?

do you know if it's somewhat common among yellow foots to have a butterscotch shell color when adults?what would be my chances of finding one?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I have a section of the pen that is separated with a clear shower curtain to keep the humidity in. There is a red 250 watt brooding lamp in there, and the substrate is a mix of sphagnum moss, sand, and cedar mulch. I have a tarp underneath to keep the wood from rotting underneath. I use a large plastic bowl I got from Home Depot for their water and soaking dish. The bowl is the water catch that you put underneath your hot water heater. It's a perfect set-up for them, but I wish it was just a bit wider. They will only have to be in it another month or so. I had one red foot lay an egg on Christmas, which is now in the incubator with two leopard tortoise eggs.

-Matt

Roshi

5 Year Member
Evora,Portugal
I went here

http://www.turtlesite.info/basic-information/989/Yellow-Foot-Tortoise.html

and i found this:

"A moderately sized tortoise, the Yellow Foot Tortoise averages around 16 inches for males and between 24 and 30 inches for females. They have a very thick, heavy shell. They have brown limbs and head, with some yellow or orangish scales."

would you say that this is accurate?

This is what i found at Wikipedia:

"There are several yellow head scales and a horizontal bar behind its eye. The carapace (shell top) is black with a small, distinct yellow area around the areola on each scute (shell scale). Adult males reach a length of up to 13.5 inches (30.4 cm) in length, while the maximum size of females is 11.25 inches (28.9 cm) in length."

so...which quote is closer to the real size?

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Do you have cedar mulch or is it cypress mulch? I believe that cedar is not good for any reptiles. Cypress is ok though

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
nickpanzee said:
Do you have cedar mulch or is it cypress mulch? I believe that cedar is not good for any reptiles. Cypress is ok though

I use cypress mulch that I buy at Home Depot. I don't really like it by its self though. It tends to get too dry and splintery if you don't keep it damp enough.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ok, good! I only asked because you wrote cedar up there where you were describing your substrate. I figured it was accidental and you meant cypress, but I just wanted to make sure. :D

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
nickpanzee said:
Ok, good! I only asked because you wrote cedar up there where you were describing your substrate. I figured it was accidental and you meant cypress, but I just wanted to make sure. :D

Oops, my bad. Yes, I meant cypress mulch. I'm saving up again to buy three more adult yellow foots. I found a guy here in Texas that has them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Roshi said:
I went here

and i found this:

"A moderately sized tortoise, the Yellow Foot Tortoise averages around 16 inches for males and between 24 and 30 inches for females. They have a very thick, heavy shell. They have brown limbs and head, with some yellow or orangish scales."

"There are several yellow head scales and a horizontal bar behind its eye. The carapace (shell top) is black with a small, distinct yellow area around the areola on each scute (shell scale). Adult males reach a length of up to 13.5 inches (30.4 cm) in length, while the maximum size of females is 11.25 inches (28.9 cm) in length."

Neither one :p Though the top one is kind of closer. Yellowfoot sizes depend on where they have come from in their range. Males and females get pretty much the same sizes, no matter where they are from.
Most Yellowfoots average 14 to 20 inches for males and females. Though the ones from the Amazon basin can get much larger, averaging 20 to 28 inches. I have seen a pair for sale in the past that were huge, the male was 36 inches and the female was 29 inches. I'm not sure where they went, but the St. Louis zoo has a huge pair of Yellowfoots.

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
egyptiandan said:
Roshi said:
I went here

and i found this:

Neither one :p Though the top one is kind of closer. Yellowfoot sizes depend on where they have come from in their range. Males and females get pretty much the same sizes, no matter where they are from.
Most Yellowfoots average 14 to 20 inches for males and females. Though the ones from the Amazon basin can get much larger, averaging 20 to 28 inches. I have seen a pair for sale in the past that were huge, the male was 36 inches and the female was 29 inches. I'm not sure where they went, but the St. Louis zoo has a huge pair of Yellowfoots.

Danny

Danny, thanks for the info. You answered some of the questions I had swimming around in my head. It's hard to find accurate info on yellows. I'm really loving the three I got in last week, and I hope to get another trio soon. I'm very interested in trying to breed them. They seem like a challenge, and I like that.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.