Anyone have a diabetic cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So my other cat had not been feeling well the past few days so yesterday I took her to the vet and today I found out she was diabetic. I know it happens so my cat is now one of them, I know it is usually not a death sentence, but she is in bad shape. U have 3 options right now a very expensive intensive care animal hospital at 500 plus a day fro a month, or another option of taking her down to the vet's office monday thru saturday for about 150 a month, or put her down. Now I am not adverse to putting an animal down if the quality of life is compromised, but right now she is not in pain and stands a good chance of making it through this. So right now putting her down is not an option, and thanks to my great vet who I adore greatly, he told me that the other 2 options they both stand the same chance, so I have decided right now to take her down everyday to the vet's office, for an injection, but I am worried I just lost my other cat about a month or so ago, and I could not lose another animal right now. I have a total of 3 cats 2 are related and the other is a Siamese I am contemplating taking both of them down for some type of diabetes test, just to rule it out and prevent further more expensive medical costs.

So with that being said does anyone have any experience with a diabetic cat? how did it go, is it a lot different than normal, special diet? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I had a friend with a big diabetic Tom cat. It was really expensive for him because of the medicine. Since his cat was old he decided to put him down. That's the only time I've heard of that besides you. I hope I was help but if it doesn't cost much let the cat live you know or maybe look up a special diet for him maybe there is one out there just a thought but good luck with it man :D

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
dmmj,
Couple of questions; is your cat stable? Is she on fluids at the vets right now? EatingOK? I know she probably has been drinking quite a bit.Diabetes will do that.
First they have to do bloodwork to determine how bad she is, which I imagine she probably already has had done.
Then they have to get her on the right dose of insulin, which sometimes can be a little bit trying as some cats will require a different type than others, you can't tell till you see if she responds to it. Then your biggest cost can be the insulin,anywhere from 16 dollars a month to 80. The syringes are really pretty cheap, and you can re use them a couple times, yes you can. Once she gets regulated she can do quite well for a very long time(years).
Is there any reason you won't do the injections? They are really quite painless, (yes, the needle is extremely tiny) I once had a vet who would actually stick the needle in his own arm to demonstrate how painless it was!)
I had a pug that was a diabetic for 7 yrs, my 5 yr old son at the time would give the injection,(with me watching) just to not make it fearful for him, the pug would get fed immediately so he would look forward to it. Changes a kids outlook on needles.
Another thing is the food, it has been proven time and time again that getting them on that expensive Diabetic food, from the vet, Usually called D/M from Hills) they can actually reduce the need for insulin and I have seen it more than one time, the cat's need for insulin can happen. These are all things I have been witness to.
Your cat will show you how she is feeling, mostly from her litter box, and her hair coat will get better and all around she will feel better.
Only you can decide what is best for you, there have been one or 2 cats that are resistant to being regulated and that can be a pain. I'm sorry the cost around you is so high. Where I live the initial bloodwork etc, would not even be close to 500. and to give injections would be a service we would provide for free.
Feel free to email me, I would also be happy to talk on the phone to you.
Cats do not ever care about the injections, and maybe I can talk you into it.
Take care and good luck.
Nay

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I've had three diabetic cats and have pet sat for many as well! It's more common than you think. My first cat became diabetic with old age. I gave him insulin shots everyday... For many many years. Once you get over the shock ask your vet to show you how to give the shot. It will become second nature and it's usually a short needle. You would get a bag of needles and fresh insulin... Often. But it's not hard to do!! Right now your vet is finding the range or level to maintain. Once that's determined speak up and ask about doing the injections from home :) soon your cat will adjust and get use to it. Treats are great after shots too :)

Pet sitters are out there that can help too :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie's cat, Bubba, had diabetes. Its quite easy to give them insulin injections. The hard part is determining the dosage. Its kind of trial and error until you hit the dose that works. And the needle is so small, they hardly feel it. Bubba didn't seem to mind at all.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
As many have said before me it is pretty easy to do the shots yourself. I am a little confused as to why the cat needs to be seen almost every day for a month. I would understand weekly checks or even twice a week or so but I actually think the stress of taking the cat in almost every day could make his or her condition worse. The dosage will probably have to be adjusted a couple times. But if you are taking her in so often to have them do the injections it would probably benefit your cat greatly to do them at home instead. I have had two cats who had diabetes, one went in for teeth cleaning and had a bad reaction to the sedation medicine and passed away. The other is still going much to everyone's joy and surprise. You are going to want to learn how to give the injections yourself right away. I used to put a little bit of food in front of my cats when doing it so that they focus on something else.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its the getting regulated part that is hard.. while workin gon that.. get the weight off..
ive seen several cats who were diabetic and on Insulin.. get off of it completely..
I dont know if there is one food better then another.. Science diet makes a diabetic food..
helps regulate.. but losing weight is probably the biggest thing.. just not too fast..
Its amazing how much food a cat can eat and maintain.. its not much at all.. most are very overfed..

Status
Not open for further replies.