Anyone know how to volunteer in the Gulf to help the sea turtles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If i would want to take vacation time from work, and go to the gulf, I would love to help out rescue, clean, and help rehab sick/injuried/oil covered sea turtles.

Any one know how I can do this? I will pay for my airfare and housing, just looking for an organization to work with.

Thanks
Cory

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I don't have an answer to your question, but I think it's very noble of you to want to volunteer.

I saw a news segment yesterday with a sea turtle that they lifted into a boat to examine, and it was the saddest sight...it was limp and listless, and though they covered it with wet towels and were gentle and quiet, he was just so weak-looking and helpless, just laying there waiting for fate to overtake him...and the commentator said they've counted 430 dead sea turtles in the Gulf so far...and I remembered reading a National Geographic article with the kids last year that discussed how fragile the sea turtles' existence was (and this was before the oil spill).

I understand how you feel, and I hope you get a chance to go do some good, Cory.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks for the positive thoughts. I have googled some, but I am not really sure about the organizations. I would really rather go with someone that can personally say its a good one. I have gone on long trip abroad before to help out sea turtles, and I want to go again. Before I went to Mexico and stayed on the beach for 3 weeks. That was an awesome experience and I saved so many eggs from birds, crabs, and some humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.