Anyone know the sex from this pic?

Rob4923

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa Florida
This is a tortoise that someone is selling online? They are keeping it in a 10 gallon aquarium. Can anyone tell the sex by this pic? I’ll prolly go get it tomorrow but will need help since I know nothing about Russians IMG_3472.jpg

SpanishPeanut

Rochester, NY
There is a pinned thread with pictures on how to tell the sex of a Russian. This picture doesn't really give the right angle since the tail is hidden. Also, a 10 gallon enclosure is way too small for any sized tortoise. 4x8 is ideal, if not bigger.

Rob4923

Tampa Florida
I got another picture from her and based on what I’m reading online, I’m guessing it may be a female? Does this pic make it any easier to tell the sex? This poor lady bought it from petsmart for her kid as a “baby”. They sold her a 10 gallon tank for it and apparently no heat source. She is asking for $60 for it. Do you all think it has a chance of survival if I get it in a proper outdoor enclosure immediately? I have a large sulcata male, but have no experience with Russians. IMG_3474.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Female. If it were male, there would be no doubt, as a male's tail is too big for him to hide it in his shell like this one is.

It would do quite well in an outside yard, separate from the Sulcata, naturally.

SpanishPeanut

Rochester, NY
Russians are very forgiving, and the sooner she is outside in a bigger enclosure, the better. I can't believe Pet Smart said a 10 gallon tank would be sufficient. That poor girl.

She will love the space and sun once she gets used to it. Soak her for sure. I'm sure they had good intentions, but were given horrible advice. I can't imagine that her other needs were met. Keep us updated!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
And to think, I have some clown giving me flack in another thread for questioning pet store owners who have no clue what they are doing. You aren't considering just buying a tortoise, from what you have said it sounds like you will be rescuing one. After browsing the care sheet, consider using rolled wire mesh for the bottom of your outdoor enclosure and cover with say 6 inches of dirt or organic soil. They can dig and escape almost anything, so that will let her dig but only so far and prevent escape. For the walls, measure her and go no less than twice her length in wall height. Be wary of predators and devise a top...that mesh works well for that too.

I have nothing but respect for people who rescue a tort from bad conditions, keep us posted.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
And to think, I have some clown giving me flack in another thread for questioning pet store owners who have no clue what they are doing. You aren't considering just buying a tortoise, from what you have said it sounds like you will be rescuing one. After browsing the care sheet, consider using rolled wire mesh for the bottom of your outdoor enclosure and cover with say 6 inches of dirt or organic soil. They can dig and escape almost anything, so that will let her dig but only so far and prevent escape. For the walls, measure her and go no less than twice her length in wall height. Be wary of predators and devise a top...that mesh works well for that too.

I have nothing but respect for people who rescue a tort from bad conditions, keep us posted.

In the other thread you were giving a pet store worker a hard time for coming to this site to ask questions.
That clown was tell you to wise up and welcome pet store workers to the forum rather than insult them.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
In the other thread you were giving a pet store worker a hard time for coming to this site to ask questions.
That clown was tell you to wise up and welcome pet store workers to the forum rather than insult them.

Do you even bother to read these posts? I said he was in the right place and it would serve him well. I never once gave him flack for being here. I simply asked a valid question that SHOULD trigger the thought he should defer their care to someone who knows how until he has had a chance to learn.

And don't talk to me about wise until you see a Pet Smart abusing their tortoises...perhaps then you won't be so fast to jump to their defense.