Anyone know what kind of tortoise this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismaldo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,

I need to know what kind of tortoise this is. He is really small, about 1/2 the size of my palm. I'll try to get a better picture up is anyone needs it.

Any help would be awesome!!

Thanks,
Christian

iPhone057.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Christian,
It looks like you have a Box turtle, Terrapene carolina ssp. We'd need better pictures to tell subspecies.

Danny

chrismaldo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Here's another picture. It's so hard to take a good one, he's so small. I'm concerned because of it.
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

egyptiandan said:
Hi Christian,
It looks like you have a Box turtle, Terrapene carolina ssp. We'd need better pictures to tell subspecies.

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
With the better pictures :D What you have is a mud turtle, Kinosternon sp. It's an aquatic turtle, so it needs to be in the water (2 or 3 inches is fine for now). Where are you located? That will help us tell what species it is. :D

Danny

chrismaldo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm actually in Mexico. I'm part of an exchange program here, I'm from California tho. I'm at my grandparents house in Leon, Guanajuato. It's about a five hour drive from Mexico City- pretty inland.

egyptiandan said:
With the better pictures :D What you have is a mud turtle, Kinosternon sp. It's an aquatic turtle, so it needs to be in the water (2 or 3 inches is fine for now). Where are you located? That will help us tell what species it is. :D

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's most likely Kinosternon hirtipes murrayi, Mexican plateau mud turtle.

Danny

chrismaldo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That's great! Thank you! He showed up at the kitchen door one morning (the house has a very open floor plan) and I thought it was a rock at first from the size. It looks like a dog or something got to him though, his shell is damaged. I got him some rep-cal and a vitamin supplement. His plastron is a little bit soft too.

egyptiandan said:
It's most likely Kinosternon hirtipes murrayi, Mexican plateau mud turtle.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He IS a brand-new baby, Chrismaldo: There are probably three more somewhere in your yard. And they are a little soft for the first couple months of life. Try to keep him quiet so he can get over the stress of being mauled. Is the injury superficial?

Yvonne

chrismaldo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, there's no sign of blood or anything. I don't know much about mud turtles (didn't even know he was a mud turtle until yesterday :D, thanks Danny.) I tried to give him a shallow pool to swim in (about two inches) as well as half the tank devoted to land. Don't think wood chips were the best choice anymore and he might need a little bit more of an aquatic habitat now that I know he's a mud. Here's a picture of what he's got right now,
iPhone058.jpg

I got a glass aquarium for him (or her?...), I bring the aquarium outside for two hours a day so he can get some real sun, in addition to the UVB light once I bring him in. It's been pretty nice weather for him outside, it usually rains here this time of year but he's been able to get some rays. He likes burrow into the woodchips and will hang out there, then switch to the small pool of water about once a day. Sits right under the falling water. It would be awesome if its possible keep him (healthy and otherwise)!

emysemys said:
He IS a brand-new baby, Chrismaldo: There are probably three more somewhere in your yard. And they are a little soft for the first couple months of life. Try to keep him quiet so he can get over the stress of being mauled. Is the injury superficial?

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mud turtles CAN swim, but in an aquarium they do best if they can just walk up the sloping gravel to reach the top of the water to breathe. Its not that they're lazy, they are just not built for too much swimming. Also, be careful of the glass outside in the sun...it acts as a magnifier and might make the water too hot.

Baby turtles are prey, and will stay hidden all the time if they don't feel safe.

Yvonne

chrismaldo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! I might just leave his aquarium the way it is then.

emysemys said:
Mud turtles CAN swim, but in an aquarium they do best if they can just walk up the sloping gravel to reach the top of the water to breathe. Its not that they're lazy, they are just not built for too much swimming. Also, be careful of the glass outside in the sun...it acts as a magnifier and might make the water too hot.

Baby turtles are prey, and will stay hidden all the time if they don't feel safe.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.