anyone know what plant this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I want to know can anyone identify the green ground cover type plant in this photo...the plant is a really soft plant with tiny yellowish tiny flower and the plant kinda crawls out and there are small elongated hard shelled seed pod things running the lenth of the plant ..and it like layers over itself....the tortoises like it even more than dandelion greens :D. Thank you.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
ascott said:
I want to know can anyone identify the green ground cover type plant in this photo...the plant is a really soft plant with tiny yellowish tiny flower and the plant kinda crawls out and there are small elongated hard shelled seed pod things running the lenth of the plant ..and it like layers over itself....the tortoises like it even more than dandelion greens :D. Thank you.

That looks like we used to call goat-head stickers. I'm not sure where you are or it that's even a possibility, where I used to battle it was in Colorado.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah we have those nasty creations here in the high desert, ca. But these are not them...the picture is kinda hard to tell....I did some further searching and "I think" it may be black medic? Still searching to make sure....?

Edna.....thank you for trying to help me :D

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
My first thought was puncture vine, too. Also called goat heads. But it kinda looks like storks bill or prostrate/spotted spurge. My torts love spurge, even the hatchlings. I like to pull some up by the roots and "root" it into their enclosure in the coco coir.

Spurge will have a reddish stripe in the center of the leaf along the vein.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought Black Medic too, Angela, but that grows upright, more like a bush. But do a GOOGLE image search for black medic and see if you can match it to your plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.