Anyone own alligator snapper

swatsx

5 Year Member
Does anyone own a alligator snapper what's your setup ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wish I could have one! They're illegal to own in California.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
They're illegal to own in Louisiana, too- but they look REALLY cool!

swatsx

5 Year Member
No large torts or turtles for me :( if I do a tort it'll most likely be a Russian wish my kids would just say fish were ok but idk what my next pet would be I want a sully but then again don't have the room and a alligator just wondering how people care for such a animal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, he would have to be an only child, in a very large tub. You could probably start out with a 600 gallon water trough. Then you'd need some sort of island in the middle so he could get out of the water sometimes. A filter would help keep it clean and you wouldn't have to do water changes.

Of course, if you're thinking about a baby, you could have him in an aquarium for a while.

Take a look for some of the posts that Aldabraman has made about his snapper. He put up pictures too.

I did a search and found this one:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38824-page-2.html

And here's Aldabraman's turtle:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-31330.html

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I used to raise them when I was younger. My set up was a 80 gallon aquirium with a network of different size wood branches (for underwater climbing) and the bottom was a sand/gravel mix. It seemed to work well. They would dig down and hunt with just their mouth open. It was an awesome sight and never got old. I had two 100 gallon canister filters with an underwater heater. I feed mine live fish/crawfish/grass shrimp because I lived 200 yards away from a bayou ;) So they grew very fast. Mine reached 10 inches in two years. I donated them to a local alligator snapper research center that is dedicated to preserving the species.

Now I warn you that once they reach a size above 5 inches that they POO LIKE DOGS lol. It gets incredibly hard to maintain clear water because they eat and poo so darn much. Just a heads up

lkwagner

5 Year Member
swatsx said:
No large torts or turtles for me :( if I do a tort it'll most likely be a Russian wish my kids would just say fish were ok but idk what my next pet would be I want a sully but then again don't have the room and a alligator just wondering how people care for such a animal

You crack me up. But at least ur being responsible by not getting something you can't take care of in a few years :)