Anyone owned an axolotl?

RayRay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central texas
I have been wanting to get one but my parents wont let me.

I am think of getting one after I move out.

How hard are they to raise and take care of?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
One of my colleagues has a couple in his classroom - they are funny looking things.
Not sure about their care though, but can ask him tomorrow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, a member has them and has even had babies. I can't remember who it is. Do a search, a thread should show.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
One of my colleagues has a couple in his classroom - they are funny looking things.
Not sure about their care though, but can ask him tomorrow.

I have looked up their care it says between 50ish and 72 degrees Fahrenheit (sorry metric users dont know the conversion) and that they need no current so to have the filter water hitting a rock to disrupt its flow. They said its best to keep them around 60 degrees to have wiggle room temp wise.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
He hasn't been in work because of illness but he's back tomorrow so will pick his brains for you then

Thanks. I have been reading online but I bet he would know better if he has had them for a while. Do you have any pics of them?

and thanks for asked him :)

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I used to have them. They're awesome. I did not have a heater or cooler in the water and they did great. They are actually pretty active and good eaters. The reason I have to say "used to" is because one day I put a sucker fish in there and the next day, it had eaten all their skin off and killed them. They had no missing skin when I left one day and when I got back about 10 hours later, all their skin had been sucked off. Very sad moment that has made me not get another due to guilt. I say this just to tell you not to put a pleco (suckerfish) in with them.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
I used to have them. They're awesome. I did not have a heater or cooler in the water and they did great. They are actually pretty active and good eaters. The reason I have to say "used to" is because one day I put a sucker fish in there and the next day, it had eaten all their skin off and killed them. They had no missing skin when I left one day and when I got back about 10 hours later, all their skin had been sucked off. Very sad moment that has made me not get another due to guilt. I say this just to tell you not to put a pleco (suckerfish) in with them.

Dang I had read online that no fish were good but I would of thought suckerfishes would of been fine, I'm sorry about your axolotls :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What did he end up saying?
Hi Ray sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.
My colleague keeps them in a freshwater tank with a pump (can keep without but needs cleaning more often). Obviously the more you have the bigger the tank you need. They need to have somewhere to hide like a half terracotta plant pot etc. They like fresh plants to hide in but you can use artificial. He doesn't have any gravel etc in the bottom, not sure why. he takes them home with him every holiday.
They will live on salmon pellets alone, but he has his own wormery and also occasionally feeds small shrimps. His original axolotl is about 6 inches long now, and he has 6 he is trying to find a home for so a pity you're not local.
Hope that helps but he said there are lots of caresheets on internet which I'm sure you've already found.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
Hi Ray sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.
My colleague keeps them in a freshwater tank with a pump (can keep without but needs cleaning more often). Obviously the more you have the bigger the tank you need. They need to have somewhere to hide like a half terracotta plant pot etc. They like fresh plants to hide in but you can use artificial. He doesn't have any gravel etc in the bottom, not sure why. he takes them home with him every holiday.
They will live on salmon pellets alone, but he has his own wormery and also occasionally feeds small shrimps. His original axolotl is about 6 inches long now, and he has 6 he is trying to find a home for so a pity you're not local.
Hope that helps but he said there are lots of caresheets on internet which I'm sure you've already found.

That's ok :) and did he say how cold the water is, and how he keeps it that way?

the gravel is not in it because they will try to eat anything that can fit in their mouth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to use them for bait years ago. Caught some pretty nice cat fish and large mouth bass with them. I was squeamish to put them on a hook though. My husband had to do that for me.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
I used to use them for bait years ago. Caught some pretty nice cat fish and large mouth bass with them. I was squeamish to put them on a hook though. My husband had to do that for me.

An axolotl or worms :'(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's ok :) and did he say how cold the water is, and how he keeps it that way?

the gravel is not in it because they will try to eat anything that can fit in their mouth.
Just room temperature I think - in his classroom he doesn't use anything special.