Anyone recommend Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I put the ZooMed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food in a coffee grinder and grind it up. When their greens are wet from washing I sprinkle some of the Grassland Tortoise Food on the greens.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I put the ZooMed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food in a coffee grinder and grind it up. When their greens are wet from washing I sprinkle some of the Grassland Tortoise Food on the greens.

I hope the coffee grinder you use for the tortoise food is a blade version and not a burr version or else the cleaning required would be super frustrating to say the least.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I use a coffee grinder and put greens with dry chow. Then moisten it if necessary. A least you know it's getting other stuff. Raw brockley and carrots chop up well. Good luck. . . . tortlvr

Carrots need to be used sparingly and broccoli is not good for torts. Careful with the lettuce. They all love it but it is not a good staple. Dandelion and plantain are great substitutes and most really like them. Be sure they have not been sprayed and wash well. I have problems with my Russian every time I try to improve his eating habits. Changes take awhile with these guys. We must display the patience of a tortoise. ;):tort:;)

Suey

England
Hi I’m from the UK and mazuri is called nutrazu here it’s exactly the same but has a different name don’t know why. I also buy zoomed pellets and pre alpin dried food. Every 3rd day I soak few pellets of nutrazu, few pellets of zoo med pellets and dried pre alpin mix altogether and they scoff it all down , they love it . I just feed weeds other greens on the other two days. Usually they don’t eat much the day after the mashed up pellets as I think it’s very filling.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
My tort won't eat after soaking. I have to feed him before the bath. All he wants to do after is burrow and snooze. ?

Fraudhawk

Kuwait
What Sleppo said...

Its a great food, and a great way to amend grocery store greens, but most tortoises don't like it at first. Take the time to slowly introduce in tiny amounts at first, and your tortoise will eventually love it. This could take weeks, so don't give up after a day or two. Its worth the effort. The ZooMed Forest tortoise pellets are fine to use in this capacity for any species too. Growth experiments are under way with these foods, and the preliminary results look very good.
I know it's a bit late but what are the results of the expirements?