Anyone recommend Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food

Anayiskaz

Location (City and/or State)
London
I am struggling to get my Russian tortoise to eat weeds or anything other than romaine lettuce. I was told Mazuri could help ween them into it but that’s not easily accessible in the UK. I’ve found Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food which seem to be similar but want to know if anyone recommends this or has any other ideas.

Zoeclare

Uk
Hi I'm in the UK too, I couldn't find an ingredients list for the zoo med but it looks similar to a tortoise life brand that I've tried before as I struggle to get mazuri. My tortoise wasn't keen but he's a red foot so its probably more suited to your russian,I found the pellets to be very hard so if your little guy is a baby you may have to soak overnight so they are nice and mushy!

Anayiskaz

London
Hi I'm in the UK too, I couldn't find an ingredients list for the zoo med but it looks similar to a tortoise life brand that I've tried before as I struggle to get mazuri. My tortoise wasn't keen but he's a red foot so its probably more suited to your russian,I found the pellets to be very hard so if your little guy is a baby you may have to soak overnight so they are nice and mushy!
Ah thank you so much hopefully he will like it and start to eat more of a variety ?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

There are many more posts about it as well. In general torts dont like it as much as Mazuri and it takes some time to get them consistently eating it but it a top food choice.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I have Russians and feed them zoo med a few times a week along with greens and weeds. You’ll need soak the pellets until they are mush. A couple of ways you can entice them to eat it is to roll the mush in a romaine leaf or dice up something they love and mix into the mush. I occasionally will dice up cucumber or cooked sweet potato it does the trick every time. They will be stubborn at first but keep trying. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am struggling to get my Russian tortoise to eat weeds or anything other than romaine lettuce. I was told Mazuri could help ween them into it but that’s not easily accessible in the UK. I’ve found Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food which seem to be similar but want to know if anyone recommends this or has any other ideas.
What Sleppo said...

Its a great food, and a great way to amend grocery store greens, but most tortoises don't like it at first. Take the time to slowly introduce in tiny amounts at first, and your tortoise will eventually love it. This could take weeks, so don't give up after a day or two. Its worth the effort. The ZooMed Forest tortoise pellets are fine to use in this capacity for any species too. Growth experiments are under way with these foods, and the preliminary results look very good.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I'm reading all this; great info. My Russian does not like the Zoo Med either. But . . . . we're gonna fix that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm reading all this; great info. My Russian does not like the Zoo Med either. But . . . . we're gonna fix that.
I've never had any tortoise of any species want to eat it the first few times they see it, but if done in small amounts mixed with favorites over a period of weeks or months, it becomes a favorite itself. Its worth the time and effort because this is a really great supplemental food. This food makes it easier to offer a good variety and good fiber in a frozen winter when grocery store foods are the main food items. An assortment of Will's dried leaves from @Kapidolo Farms is another great addition to make grocery store greens a more complete tortoise diet.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I got some good ideas here as my new Russian is a picky eater.

Anayiskaz

London
I've never had any tortoise of any species want to eat it the first few times they see it, but if done in small amounts mixed with favorites over a period of weeks or months, it becomes a favorite itself. Its worth the time and effort because this is a really great supplemental food. This food makes it easier to offer a good variety and good fiber in a frozen winter when grocery store foods are the main food items. An assortment of Will's dried leaves from @Kapidolo Farms is another great addition to make grocery store greens a more complete tortoise diet.
@kapidolofarms food looks great wish it was easily accessible in the UK. Will definitely give the pellets a try now and ease him into it. He’s also just come to a new environment so I think it might take even longer for him to start eating it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put some romaine into a blender and blend it up until it's mush. Then chop up some edible weeds and plants, mix in the romaine mush until all coated. You can slowly cut back on the amount of romaine over time until you've eliminated it.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I have a russian too. I try to introduce small amounts of new, healthy food with the other food he eats. for example I gave him green leaf lettuce with a little bit of clover and fresh non toxic weeds mixed in. he eats it thinking its lettuce, but now that he's had a taste, he cant get enough of the clover and weeds. try amazon for mazuri tortoise diet for Arid or tropical species. grassland works too. either is good for a russian. thats where I got mine from amazon, that my exotic vet recommended. ?

CinSonoma

Sonoma, CA
My Russian gets a tin pie plate of kale, basil, spinach...whatever is in my own salad greens I share with her and about once a week I add about 3 of the chunks of Zoo Med to her tin..along with an inch of water...hoping she’ll get a few of the vitamins that go along with it. She seems to be starting to hibernate though and hasn’t been plowing through her meals. I’ve read on this forum that other people use it too but keep experimenting with different greens for yours. I think the directions on the Zoo Med say just a couple times a week??

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
What Sleppo said...

Its a great food, and a great way to amend grocery store greens, but most tortoises don't like it at first. Take the time to slowly introduce in tiny amounts at first, and your tortoise will eventually love it. This could take weeks, so don't give up after a day or two. Its worth the effort. The ZooMed Forest tortoise pellets are fine to use in this capacity for any species too. Growth experiments are under way with these foods, and the preliminary results look very good.
My Redfoots love it. I buy the juvenile pellets for the 9 month olds and the 3 year old gets the regular. You do need to soak it to make it more palatable

Dr Druid

Brighton, ON Canada

I used to have the same problem with my Russian. I was able to use dandelion and then vary between weed (when available), Kale and Romaine. I also add vitamine supplement. Mikhail did not like Zoo Med no matter how I tried to give it to him. Is dandelion available to you?

cheers, randy

Dlamonda

Grants Pass
At least your baby is eating Romain mine hasnt eaten since I got him. I soak twice a day??? Still nothing. Let me know if you figure it out!

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
They can be stubborn! The trick is to chop the new food up really tiny so they can't pick it out and slowly increase the amount ?
I use a coffee grinder and put greens with dry chow. Then moisten it if necessary. A least you know it's getting other stuff. Raw brockley and carrots chop up well. Good luck.

dalein

Wilson
Ohhh my russian loves Romaine Lattice!!! If I ll mix it with anything she ll definitely prefer it over all! Thats why I usually not mix it in a morning breakfast, but give it separately on sertain days.
My tortoise today tried Hibiscus flower, and she just CRAZY about it! She is eating it like crazy, you need to try it! Hibiscus leaves and flowers can be grown in a pot in a house or, like Flower of Sharon type, on the street. It can carry minus temperature too. Extremely good food for tortoise! I am so happy that amazing guys on this forum told me about Hibiscus.
About Mazuri- I advice you to order it overseas. This huge pack will last forever. I usually soak 2 pallets for 10 minutes and its enough for my hatchling. Its getting bigger soaking and tortoise absolutely crazy about it.
Thank you Tom for great info about fast med pallets, I want to try it now...