Anyone who has experience with this substrate?

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
I'm working on a new enclosure and I'm thinking about what substrate to use.

I've looked through a few, namely fir bark, dirt and coconut coir.

Then I found this: https://zoomed.com/forest-floor-bedding/

It's a kind of cypress mulch and I'm thinking I could perhaps mix it with regular soil.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used it and if it's safe/good.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I've seen bags of it in the pet store but never bought any because the mulch in the bags always seemed to be wet.
If your going to buy wet mulch you might as well get a big bag of it from from Lowes or Home Depot.

My enclosure is divided into 2 parts, one side is filled with cypres mulch, from Lowes, with nothing mixed in - the other side is filled with a coco coir/topsoil mix.
You'd think the tortoise would prefer easy digging into the coco coir, but mine always chooses to power his way down into the jagged mulch instead.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I dont get it get it because it's expensive and only a small amount in the bag. Like mentioned above, I hit Home Depot and spend a few bucks on a large bag of cypress mulch.

Korall

Sweden
I dont get it get it because it's expensive and only a small amount in the bag. Like mentioned above, I hit Home Depot and spend a few bucks on a large bag of cypress mulch.

Yeah, the problem here is that I don't have anything equivalent to Home Depot and cypress isn't really used or sold here in Sweden except for reptile substrate.

The second thing I'm considering is fir/orchid bark as I've already used it before.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Bark certainly looks better but I feel safer using the mulch.

I've heard the bark can get moldy and I'd worry about the bark bits getting eaten.
The only issue I have with the mulch is pin head sized wood mites, but they don't bother the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing works better than fine grade fir bark. I use it for almost all species. I'll use coco coir for baby Testudo, but I switch them to orchid bark (fir bark) once they reach about 7 or 8cm.

I don't like store bought soil because you can't know what is in it. Might be safe, or it might be toxic. It is intended to be put on the ground outside in a garden. It is not intended as a substrate for living animals in a closed indoor enclosure.

Korall

Sweden
Nothing works better than fine grade fir bark. I use it for almost all species. I'll use coco coir for baby Testudo, but I switch them to orchid bark (fir bark) once they reach about 7 or 8cm.

I don't like store bought soil because you can't know what is in it. Might be safe, or it might be toxic. It is intended to be put on the ground outside in a garden. It is not intended as a substrate for living animals in a closed indoor enclosure.

Well, there is organic soil and I can get soil from my yard, the same kind my tortoise would walk on if I had a outside enclosure for him.

I've also found a few more options: sphagnum moss, either bought or harvested.
Coconut coir, I can mix it with soil.
Peat, organic and can be bought in bulk. Might work mixed with soil.

And as you said, I can get pure for bark, though only from pet stores as the garden stores don't sell it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, there is organic soil and I can get soil from my yard, the same kind my tortoise would walk on if I had a outside enclosure for him.

I've also found a few more options: sphagnum moss, either bought or harvested.
Coconut coir, I can mix it with soil.
Peat, organic and can be bought in bulk. Might work mixed with soil.

And as you said, I can get pure for bark, though only from pet stores as the garden stores don't sell it.

Soil from your own yard is fine. You know what has been composted to make it and you know there are no chemicals or additives.

"Organic" soil from the store could still be made with toxic stuff. What if it is made of composted oleander or azalea? One of my catch phrases in response to this whole "organic" craze is this: Rattle snake venom is all natural and totally organic.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Soil from your own yard is fine. You know what has been composted to make it and you know there are no chemicals or additives.

"Organic" soil from the store could still be made with toxic stuff. What if it is made of composted oleander or azalea? One of my catch phrases in response to this whole "organic" craze is this: Rattle snake venom is all natural and totally organic.

Adding to the poisons that are organic : Belladonna/Deadly Night-Shade is organic... Poinsettias are organic... Dracaena is organic... Lilies are organic...
Pretty plants, deadly to critters.

Don't use moss as it causes impaction.