Anyone work with elongated tortoises?

Bbcatcher

Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl
Hello all-

I've been considering getting a pair of elongateds, but have not had much luck finding a lot of information about them.

Does anyone on here work with them? Would you consider them a species that is easy to acclimate (if wc)?

Thanks

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I've had a few for about six years. They are nice hardy animals.
I would recommend getting CB elongata since they are readily available.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello all-

I've been considering getting a pair of elongateds, but have not had much luck finding a lot of information about them.

Does anyone on here work with them? Would you consider them a species that is easy to acclimate (if wc)?

Thanks
i own two captive bred elongates, there are a great species, good for people starting out as well, they are very tolerant to diff temps, they dont require a super hot enclosure like other species do, they have a very friendly and unique personality, they come in a decent variation of shell colors, they dont grow super large like some other species do as well, they are active, and determined torts, i have them on a constant rotation of feeds, and they have never missed a bite, as for health, i cant speak on wild caught specimens , but as far as my captive bred torts, they have not had one health issue, always active, always feeding, i find mines do not like bright lights though, i had to add extra plants to aid with shade, they need a large enclosure if you are going to house them inside, mines are active, and needed something large, my indoor table is over 15 square ft, and will be good for them for the next couple of years as they are still young, elongates eat more fruits and proteins then other species , but stay on a staple green diet, fruits and proteins are mixed in every few days with smaller servings, with the right temps and diets, my torts void about once every day, it should come out soft but solid, they need a basking spot of 90 - 95 degrees, and will use this often, they need to be soaked multiple times a week, and they LOVE bathing themselves, so a shallow water plate needs to be available at ALL TIMES. not only will this keep them hydrated , but this will keep there skin and shell looking nice, good info is hard to find on this species, but there is some out there, and especially on this forum, Ben ^^ above me is actually the breeder i got my second elongated from , and he has alot more experience with this species , check out some of his older posts, i will be doing a informational video on this species in the coming months, but like i said just read around and you'll find some good stuff, great species to deal with !

Last edited:

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
i own two captive bred elongates, there are a great species, good for people starting out as well, they are very tolerant to diff temps, they dont require a super hot enclosure like other species do, they have a very friendly and unique personality, they come in a decent variation of shell colors, they dont grow super large like some other species do as well, they are active, and determined torts, i have them on a constant rotation of feeds, and they have never missed a bite, as for health, i cant speak on wild caught specimens , but as far as my captive bred torts, they have not had one health issue, always active, always feeding, i find mines do not like bright lights though, i had to add extra plants to aid with shade, they need a large enclosure if you are going to house them inside, mines are active, and needed something large, my indoor table is over 15 square ft, and will be good for them for the next couple of years as they are still young, elongates eat more fruits and proteins then other species , but stay on a staple green diet, fruits and proteins are mixed in every few days with smaller servings, with the right temps and diets, my torts void about once every day, it should come out soft but solid, they need a basking spot of 90 - 95 degrees, and will use this often, they need to be soaked multiple times a week, and they LOVE bathing themselves, so a shallow water plate needs to be available at ALL TIMES. not only will this keep them hydrated , but this will keep there skin and shell looking nice, good info is hard to find on this species, but there is some out there, and especially on this forum, Ben ^^ above me is actually the breeder i got my second elongated from , and he has alot more experience with this species , check out some of his older posts, i will be doing a informational video on this species in the coming months, but like i said just read around and you'll find some good stuff, great species to deal with !

Attachments

• DSCF9327.JPG
    DSCF9327.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • DSCF9326.JPG
    DSCF9326.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • DSCF9327.JPG
    DSCF9327.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 79
  • DSCF9326.JPG
    DSCF9326.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I bought an adult male a a reptile show. The breeder convinced me that he was from her pet colloection and not her breeding collection and that he was captive born and raised. She told me she was selling him because she was making room for other projects. He looked great, healthy and friendly at the show. Once I got him home he had no appetite and was sickly for over 6 months. I can only guess that he was a WC specimen. He is now doing fine and eating great. I would say they are probably pretty hardy too because lots of torts die within a few weeks or even days of their owner noticing that they are sick looking. I plan to get some others in the future but I want to stay clear of wild caught ones if I can help it. They are really neat tortoises but what I am I saying I have not met a tortoise yet that I didn't think was neat.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
A very underrated taxa for certain. A personable hardy turtle they are!

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Hello all-

Thanks

Did you ever decide to get one? Or did you go with something else?