Anything I can do to make my tortoise happier?

.v.

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have a 4-5 year old red foot that I got a few years ago from an acquaintance. I was told that she was a box turtle, and I’ve recently found out she was a red foot and I’ve been treating her completely wrong. I think she is happy, but I want to double check and see if there is anything else I can do to make her happier.

Right now she is living in this- https://tinyurl.com/ycxbppb6 . I put it in my yard under my mango tree and tied down some banana leaves to the top to keep it shady. I live in a very warm, rainy, and humid subtropical climate so I think that she is ok with the temperature and humidity.

I’ve been feeding her watermelon, blueberries, kale, lettuce, hibiscus leaves, and a box turtle mix that’s just fruit, vegetables, and vitamins (she loves it so I didn’t take it away).

She has her water in a terracotta saucer, that’s a lot bigger than her (I clean it out regularly and she can’t drown in it). She has a pot on the outside portion, she goes in it occasionally. On the inside bit it is completely empty, just soil. I want to put some low light plants in her habitat, I need recommendations on those. I plan on putting coconut substrate in her cage as well.

Is there anything I’m doing wrong? Or anything I could do better? Thanks!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
make a pen that gives him access to the ground ....... they use the ground as one tool to thermoregulate .........

.v.

South Florida
Ooo ok! The tray can come out from the bottom, I’m afraid she’ll escape but I might have some small fence. I’ll do that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She actually needs a much bigger enclosure. That is too small for anything over a hatchling to a year old.
Give her a proper sized outdoor enclosure enclosure and build a locking night box or bring her inside for night time sleeping and safety and let her live outside during the day.
@ZEROPILOT can help with enclosure size needed and in material to use.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Ooo ok! The tray can come out from the bottom, I’m afraid she’ll escape but I might have some small fence. I’ll do that.
the enclosure walls/fence needs sunk in the ground a few inches ....... a larger enclosue with plant cover and a shrub/shrubs near the center will keep them from digging at the out walls ....... they'll dig in at the roots of shrubs ......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4-5 year old red foot that I got a few years ago from an acquaintance. I was told that she was a box turtle, and I’ve recently found out she was a red foot and I’ve been treating her completely wrong. I think she is happy, but I want to double check and see if there is anything else I can do to make her happier.

Right now she is living in this- https://tinyurl.com/ycxbppb6 . I put it in my yard under my mango tree and tied down some banana leaves to the top to keep it shady. I live in a very warm, rainy, and humid subtropical climate so I think that she is ok with the temperature and humidity.

I’ve been feeding her watermelon, blueberries, kale, lettuce, hibiscus leaves, and a box turtle mix that’s just fruit, vegetables, and vitamins (she loves it so I didn’t take it away).

She has her water in a terracotta saucer, that’s a lot bigger than her (I clean it out regularly and she can’t drown in it). She has a pot on the outside portion, she goes in it occasionally. On the inside bit it is completely empty, just soil. I want to put some low light plants in her habitat, I need recommendations on those. I plan on putting coconut substrate in her cage as well.

Is there anything I’m doing wrong? Or anything I could do better? Thanks!
You can build your own, or buy something, but this tortoise needs a very large enclosure. Something around 10x20 feet. Bigger than that would be better. It should have plenty of plants and heavy shade, and a heated night box controlled by a thermostat will keep the tortoise safe from predators every night, and keep her warm during those rare cold spells that you get in winter.

Here is an example:

.v.

South Florida
She actually needs a much bigger enclosure. That is too small for anything over a hatchling to a year old.
Give her a proper sized outdoor enclosure enclosure and build a locking night box or bring her inside for night time sleeping and safety and let her live outside during the day.
@ZEROPILOT can help with enclosure size needed and in material to use
I thought that might be the case. My mother (I’m a minor) bought this after I continually asked to get her out of her bucket she had to call home. I’ll ask her if we could build something, though I’m worried she’ll say no. Thanks a lot for your response!!

.v.

South Florida
You can build your own, or buy something, but this tortoise needs a very large enclosure. Something around 10x20 feet. Bigger than that would be better. It should have plenty of plants and heavy shade, and a heated night box controlled by a thermostat will keep the tortoise safe from predators every night, and keep her warm during those rare cold spells that you get in winter.

Here is an example:
I’ll see what I can do! I really like this. I covered some problems in another reply on this thread, but if I get an ok from my mother I’ll definitely use the tips from this!