Anyway to train tortoise to poop outside his night box?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Like the title says. Trying to get my tortoise to stop pooping in his night box. My 12 inch sulcata has bigger poops than my dog lol.
I’m sure training him is a long shot, any tips on cleaning up the night box? I have been using hot water and rags to mop the bottom of the night box. I’ve been scared to use any chemicals because it would be hard to be sure there wasn’t any left in the wood.
Thanks in advance.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Yep they like to use their night box to sleep & poop. I have a nice layer of cypress mulch inside our Sullys night box (except where the Kane heat mat is). Most of the turds are in / on the mulch that is easily scooped out.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think the heat triggers the poop.. you notice that they start out pooping in the warm soaks.i soaked regularly so there was little time to poop in the enclosure... then they move outside and now mine love to poop on their mats in the box.. theres very little poop in The yard unless it’s super warm outside. Naturally when I do warm water sooks, it still brings it out.. if you find a solution, I’d love to know!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The advantage of it all being in the night box is that it’s all in one location! i scoop it up & it goes into my compost bin. Pretty much pre-mulched & processed organic compost.

Try putting a 2-3 inch layer of cypress mulch in your night box. Clean up is really pretty easy & less messy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like the title says. Trying to get my tortoise to stop pooping in his night box. My 12 inch sulcata has bigger poops than my dog lol.
I’m sure training him is a long shot, any tips on cleaning up the night box? I have been using hot water and rags to mop the bottom of the night box. I’ve been scared to use any chemicals because it would be hard to be sure there wasn’t any left in the wood.
Thanks in advance.
HAHAHAHHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Welcome to my world!!!

Man, I wish there was. If you ever figure out how to do it, PLEASE contact me and tell me immediately!

In the mean time:
  • Soak early and often and for a long duration. This will empty your tortoise out and make pooping in the night box less likely. When I soak 3 times a week in summer, I seldom have to clean a night box.
  • Don't worry about the mess. I put down a thin layer of dry dirt after I clean a box. This absorbs any moisture and makes it very easy to scrape out the night's doo in the morning. I just use a flat head shovel and scrape out the muddy poopy sludge. You do NOT need to mop out the box. Let that wood get "seasoned". You are NEVER going to keep it clean sanitary and spotless. Don't worry about this at all.
  • Cactus pads, lettuce, and other "wet" foods make this worse, just fyi.
This is my 80 pound 8 year old Sudan sulcata. I cleaned his box about 7:30 pm the night before this picture. I open the door and lifted the lid to check on him about 8:30 am the next morning. Here is what you have to look forward to:
IMG_0090.jpg

Go ahead and zoom in on that... What you can't see in the pic is all the poo that he is resting on. After he scooted out of the box, I scraped it all up into one of those large doggy pooper scoopers:
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
That is a size 11 shoe for size reference.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have noticed over the years that my adult, (Walker) poops inside his house during winter and when the weather warms up he starts pooping outside in the yard. I spotted a poop in the yard yesterday for the first time this chilly spring. I have textured vinyl flooring in his house that is used in wet rooms and looks like oak. I rake it out when needed, the poop helps to add humidity somewhat. I installed similar flooring in my bathrooms after seeing how durable and water proof it is. It comes in strips about 6 inches wide with peel and stick overlapping joints and can be cut to size with a razor knife. It's easy to clean too.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
That's what I said when I snapped my pics too! :D I almost made a thread on it... "So you're sure you want a sulcata???"
You should make a thread, actually. Many think the size is the only issue ?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I have noticed over the years that my adult, (Walker) poops inside his house during winter and when the weather warms up he starts pooping outside in the yard. I spotted a poop in the yard yesterday for the first time this chilly spring. I have textured vinyl flooring in his house that is used in wet rooms and looks like oak. I rake it out when needed, the poop helps to add humidity somewhat. I installed similar flooring in my bathrooms after seeing how durable and water proof it is. It comes in strips about 6 inches wide with peel and stick overlapping joints and can be cut to size with a razor knife. It's easy to clean too.
Great idea. We are just building Dexters night box, thanks.

wayne uhlenberg

5 Year Member
Savannah, GA.
Thanks in advance.
Hi, I have a 113lbs Sulcata that is 12 years old and as far training him to go where i want him to, it has never worked BUT he never goes in his shed where he sleeps. He only goes outside in the yard but he taught himself to do that. It had nothing to do with me. The only thing I may suggest is to take the poop and put it in the area where you want it to go. Sulcatas smell everything to see if its edible and everything else. I believe that because he goes outside and can smell his own poop like a cat, he has a tendency to go in that area. Try it and let everyone know how it works.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
You should make a thread, actually. Many think the size is the only issue ?

Yes someone please make a thread!!!
Mine has a two hour soak...nothing.
goes into the yard for 3hours.... nothing.
Then goes into her night box... and ....
KABLAM!!!!! Poop,pee,urates,a fork from the titanic and I am pretty sure I found one of Jimmy Hoffas shoes!!!????....
All I am left with is the thought...”B**CH)...
Almost every night is like this....
If I knew then.. what I know now?......
I would have gotten a cat..?
But now that I am here.... I wouldn’t give her up for anything....
Still.... I have to think of my age and my back. Neither of us are getting younger.!
All summed up :
At least they ARE pooping.
That means healthy!!
No poop = no good.

Cocorene'

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Buckeye, Arizona
Well, since we're talking poop, I was finally able to get my desert tortoise from Arizona Game & Fish. He has the run of the back yard, but seems to enjoy pooping and peeing on the covered patio. Huge turds and massive pees. I remember thinking, well, that's something I have not read about on Tortoise Forum. It would probably make some people think twice. Especially sulcatas! Oh, mine also poops in his burrow, which was kind of a surprise to me. I thought, who does that? Pooping where you sleep!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Well, since we're talking poop, I was finally able to get my desert tortoise from Arizona Game & Fish. He has the run of the back yard, but seems to enjoy pooping and peeing on the covered patio. Huge turds and massive pees. I remember thinking, well, that's something I have not read about on Tortoise Forum. It would probably make some people think twice. Especially sulcatas! Oh, mine also poops in his burrow, which was kind of a surprise to me. I thought, who does that? Pooping where you sleep!
Best of luck..?
Yes, those pees took one of my old vets off guard and he ran out of the room!!! It went everywhere!!!!???
My husband still chuckles about it...
At least the poops can be flung with a shovel. But as far as the peeing????....
If you figure it out .... post the answer please!!!?