Apparently my winter enclosure isn't good enough :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
I promise I've done my homework unfortunately I did it by studying the wrong reference material.....I met a lady a while ago that is a tortoise rescuer and as soon as I met her Sulcata's I knew that this was something I wanted to do, so I started to read A LOT!!! I started by planting the types of plants they like and removing the things in our yard that could be a potential hazard to them all the while I studied everything I could about them and in between it all I saw what I thought would be the perfect winter enclosure for my future sulcatas. I finally found a rescue-> http://www.corhs.org/ <--- they are the only ones who would ship the sulcatas to Louisiana where we live, I picked out two tortoises because I happen to have an amazing husband who supports everything he knows I have a passion for, so he looked at what I wanted, we headed to home depot and he worked on the winter enclosure all weekend and after work, the day before yesterday and yesterday, last night I sent the person that is reviewing my application the pictures and she's pretty sure it's not big enough.....I am soooo upset not only because this is something that I truly want to do but because of all the work we've done ESPECIALLY MY HUSBAND. This is what we have so far....all he needed to do was install the heaters, the UVB lights, the roof, the insulation and of course the boards that will hold the insulation in between the walls and I was going to paint it....does anyone have any suggestion?

image-1152595140.png

The last 2 pictures is of the house he made for them just to kind of hang out.

image-2855417283.png

Attachments

• image-2396942613.png
    image-2396942613.png
    234 KB · Views: 186
  • image-848417398.png
    image-848417398.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1249342852.png
    image-1249342852.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 148

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
What I'm seeing is a house for them to get into in bad weather, but not an enclosure. How big is you enclosure going to be? If the rescue person thought you were going to keep the sulcatas in that box, then she'd say it's too small.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Hi Edna, I was under the impression that the Sulcatas could walk around our yard in the winter to eat and that they would only need a place to go into when they needed to warm up, I didn't realize they needed to be kept warm 100% of the time 24/7 <---That's my mistake but I didn't even think to ask, it just never dawned on me that they couldn't take any cold weather what so ever. Right now the sulcata's I picked to adopt aren't even 8" yet but CoHR has to see where they're going to live when they reach the size they're expected to eventually become which is totally understandable since they do have a responsibility to ensure their safety once they're placed….I am soooo mad at myself!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually they can roam around outside in the cold months and have a shed to go I to to warm up. Several people keep their sulcatas like that. However, the shed has to be a large shed, not just a dog house.they may spend days in the shed before it is warm enough to come out for them. The shed also needs to have a basking spot of 90-100 degrees with the ambient temps around 80. Your plan was okay, just the size is not okay.

You could put the tort/dog house inside a large enclosure and us the tort house as the basking spot and the rest of the larger enclosure as for the ambient temp. Until he/she gets much larger, then the tort house would have to be removed or get larger too.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
If the rescue person has specific dimensions in mind for your sulcata enclosure she needs to share those with you. Just between you and me, if she expects you to house 8" torts as if they were 20" torts, there's a problem.
There are other ways to rescue a sulcata, without going through the "rescue" filter.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
First I'd like to announce that I've some how gone from being a "NEWBY" to a "Junior Member" YAYYYY MEEEEE!!!!!!

Wellington, I forgot to mention that my husband was/is also planning on building the basking area….. and Edna, that's exactly what she expects. she sent me an email last night saying that their requirements are to see that our setup is good enough for a full grown sulcata, we didn't do that because we figured that by then it would be time to make them a brand new home and throw out the one my husband is making now…..I would sooooo very much appreciate it if you would tell me what other options I may have to not let all of my husbands hard work go to waste.
Thank you both for responding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would check craigs list. Building for an adult sulcata and housing a much smaller one in it is a little ridiculous when there are so many needing homes. Thats the problem with some rescues. I would show her what you have and tell her your a member of this forum. I would bet most of her info is probably wrong anyway. If she isn't satisfied, say no thank you and check out craigslist, or fauna classified or even other rescues. Good luck. BTW your husbands hard work will probably last a while and may also be able to be worked into the larger enclosure when it is needed.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
First I'd like to announce that I've some how gone from being a "NEWBY" to a "Junior Member" YAYYYY MEEEEE!!!!!!

Wellington, I forgot to mention that my husband was/is also planning on building the basking area….. and Edna, that's exactly what she expects. she sent me an email last night saying that their requirements are to see that our setup is good enough for a full grown sulcata, we didn't do that because we figured that by then it would be time to make them a brand new home and throw out the one my husband is making now…..I would sooooo very much appreciate it if you would tell me what other options I may have to not let all of my husbands hard work go to waste.
Thank you both for responding.

Watch your craigslist because they do come up on there. You may be paying a "rehoming fee" to a previous owner, and than may seem like you're buying the tortoise. If the tortoise has been receiving poor care in their previous home, it's a rescue.
In addition to craiglist, there may be bulletin boards where people post animals available. Also, go to your local petco/petsmart/pet store with pictures of the housing you have prepared and let them know you're available for sucatas that need a new home.
The tortoises needing homes are out there, it's just a matter of getting you and them together.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
look at loafing sheds and design something that will work for you.
when its really cold, mine don't come out. The larger they are, the longer they can go out when its cold and then go back and warm up.
But they will outgrow that dog house soon enough! AND two might not get along well... so be prepared for that. Regardless of sex.

Im surprised you dont have a more local rescue....

my heated house look a lot like that, and its just fine. Mine are two large guys..
I have a heat matt and a CHE ( ceramic heat Emitter) and its plenty warm.
Look at Osbourne industries for Stanfield heat matts. ( pig blankets) get one that fits about half the house. and get the thermostat too.

and post pics of the yard/enclosure as well. Do you have solid fencing? No dogs, grazing area?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You DID have the right idea! In Louisiana they can live outside year round as long as they have a warm retreat for those cold spells. They need exactly what you have built there! My older ones live outside year round in a large pen with a night house very similar to that. We typically have nights right around freezing all winter long and days are variable, but we often have temps only in the 50's or low 60's for a week or two. Of course, we also have days in the 80s pretty regularly too in the winter.

I put my house up on 4x4 skids to prevent flooding during heavy rain, and I build a flap on hinges that acts as a ramp during the day and a door when I fold it up and latch it at night.

Some rescues can be very picky and difficult and that's why they are stuck with so many tortoises. You will find the right rescue, or one will come to you some other way. Don't worry.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Thanks Tom, I wish you could tell all that to the person reviewing my application because my best efforts is no where near good enough for them ….:( Thanks again for the input.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I am compelled to help you, by reading your story and all your efforts. If they fail to be satisfied by your current situation. I am in a good diving mood, and would give you two babies that are currently hatching out at my facilities right now. That way you could keep what you have please your husband in not having to rebuild that lovely enclosure, and allow the kids to see these guys grow up with them. Just an offer from a caring tortoise rescuer myself.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I'd go local. Keep looking.. Or look in Florida.. adopt ones in need. They are out there.. You built it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the rescue person misunderstood your intentions. You need to let them know that the house you've built is their HOUSE, and NOT the enclosure. The whole yard is the enclosure. My Dudley's house is much smaller than the one you built and he gets along just fine in there. He roams the whole yard, then retreats into his house to rest.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
tortadise said:
I am compelled to help you, by reading your story and all your efforts. If they fail to be satisfied by your current situation. I am in a good diving mood, and would give you two babies that are currently hatching out at my facilities right now. That way you could keep what you have please your husband in not having to rebuild that lovely enclosure, and allow the kids to see these guys grow up with them. Just an offer from a caring tortoise rescuer myself.

What a sweet offer!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I always love for people to adopt ones in need of a home first, but its the least I could do, for all the hard work put into it.

EKLC

5 Year Member
That looks like a great warm box, there will certainly be a sulcata of the right size that pops up on craigslist who will desperately need a new home (probably more desperately than a tort already at a rescue).

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
tortadise said:

WWWOOOOWWWWWW!!!! KELLY, anyone who knows me can assure you that I'm rarely speechless, I NEVER SHUT UP but you have successfully left me speechless…..THANK YOUUUUU!!!! I am so touched by your offer. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!…..That is so incredibly sweet!!!! I just woke my husband up to show him your post, well I tried to wake him up but I don't think he woke up completely because all he said was "oh ok, I love you too" lol, lol…poor guy is exhausted!!!! I promise to continue trying to adopt a tortoise that needs me as much as I want to help him or her but I will certainly take you up on your offer if I'm not successful because I REALLY WANT OUR VERY OWN SULCATA plus I've gotten my whole family so excited with the whole idea…..as a matter of fact this is the first time it's not just my mission, my husband & my kids (especially my 9 year old) are just as excited as I am.

THANKS AGAIN KELLY, thank you so much for letting me know that we wont be disappointed after all and that my amazing husband's hard work wont be in vane. :rolleyes: <---looking up and thanking God for you!!!! :D < so happy!!![

Status
Not open for further replies.