Apples and trees...of course it's a "kid" story

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
They saying goes; The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. We've all heard it and when convenient, we use it.

Well, being the Black Sheep of my family, I found it an interesting saying. My dad was polished, well educated and "fatherly". He didn't drink, do ANY drug and I've got a pretty good idea that mom was his first and only. Can we all say "opposites" together? LOL

This nut fell MILES from that tree! LOL...it couldn't be more funny if I actually tried to make it funny! I loved my dad and we were good for many years before he died, but we were NEVER going to be "like".

Fast forward to yesterday......my 37 year old redhead daughter comes over to scarf up on a free car compressor for her leaking tire..........

She's always been the independent one...."my seeker of cool" so to speak. We talked on the phone for an hour then she sat and talked for a while when she got here....and she told me a story of when she was in Kenya doing a Woman-empowerment thing a couple years ago. One day when she and her teammate were in the bush, they came on a troop of Baboons and the Masie guide told her the Baboons are afraid of the color red...and her hair might frighten them. Tom can vouch for this if it's true, I don't know.

What my daughter actually heard was; "You are invincible among Baboons".........and accordingly, she got out of the truck and walked with them, not touching but close enough to. Apparently, this is not done over there and the people with her were afraid to yell to her for fear of upsetting the baboons. At this point I explained to her that delusions can be a pretty neon sign of some mental health issues...........but she sitting in front of me, after her escapade so maybe she wasn't deluded?

I asked her, "Dooser,(nickname) what processed you to take that kind of a risk?" "Dad, I was there and would never get another chance to do it"

Then again, sometimes that saying fits just perfectly.

Need I say more?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You're either very kind Karen, or as warped as I am..............

Kids.....God they were the worlds best "toys" till they reached around 14................now I keep thinking I should have argued more for the burlap bags...............LOL

No, not really....they are all fantastic in different ways and while I still wake at night worrying about 1 or more of them, they have always been the Stars of my life!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They saying goes; The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. We've all heard it and when convenient, we use it.

Well, being the Black Sheep of my family, I found it an interesting saying. My dad was polished, well educated and "fatherly". He didn't drink, do ANY drug and I've got a pretty good idea that mom was his first and only. Can we all say "opposites" together? LOL

This nut fell MILES from that tree! LOL...it couldn't be more funny if I actually tried to make it funny! I loved my dad and we were good for many years before he died, but we were NEVER going to be "like".

Fast forward to yesterday......my 37 year old redhead daughter comes over to scarf up on a free car compressor for her leaking tire..........

She's always been the independent one...."my seeker of cool" so to speak. We talked on the phone for an hour then she sat and talked for a while when she got here....and she told me a story of when she was in Kenya doing a Woman-empowerment thing a couple years ago. One day when she and her teammate were in the bush, they came on a troop of Baboons and the Masie guide told her the Baboons are afraid of the color red...and her hair might frighten them. Tom can vouch for this if it's true, I don't know.

What my daughter actually heard was; "You are invincible among Baboons".........and accordingly, she got out of the truck and walked with them, not touching but close enough to. Apparently, this is not done over there and the people with her were afraid to yell to her for fear of upsetting the baboons. At this point I explained to her that delusions can be a pretty neon sign of some mental health issues...........but she sitting in front of me, after her escapade so maybe she wasn't deluded?

I asked her, "Dooser,(nickname) what processed you to take that kind of a risk?" "Dad, I was there and would never get another chance to do it"

Then again, sometimes that saying fits just perfectly.

Need I say more?
Wow! Sounds like your daughter is "Almost Human"!!!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well Tammy,....she's the oldest so yes, the closest to true humanity.....the younger they get though, the less inherent humanity they seem to have! The youngest 24, just got her trash out for the 1st time in 3 weeks! She still has a ways to go before she can be classified as human.....LOL

It goes this way; "Scrump, you can't live in garbage, you have to take it out and put it in the cans."

"Why Bud, it's bagged and tied so it doesn't smell." (we all know this not to be true, right? LOL)

LMAO.....I really tried not to laugh.... but she was 100% Serious as a heart attack!

"Because if you don't, Daddy won't love you anymore and with that beautiful red hair, I might sell you to a 3rd world Sheik for a pallet-load of cash!"

Trash is out..............

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I got to spend Sat afternoon with my son & his GF. I picked up steaks and corn on the cob and he and his GF cooked. and we enjoyed a nice dinner. He bought a home 5-7 miles from me but I haven't seen him in a month.

He's been ghosting the family for 6 mos(& making his mom freak even though I tell her to give him time, she gets a bit dramatic-LOL) while re-evaluating things after a very executed, world class, personal & professional flameout. I mean, I'm not excited that one of my kids ran into trouble but it's how they deal with it that we parents watch......and he's okay in all this so let's also give credit where it's deserved....... he attained more in 5 years, than most of us do in a career in terms of top-tier firm accolades and material wealth.......then flamed out spectacularly by simply walking away......but he's stayed balanced, got back with a girl who is good for him and I think might be finally hearing that speech I gave him at 17 about becoming a lawyer and what it would cost him. We didn't talk about it openly yet but from the looks of things, he may have found that cost is too high for him.

I've always been proud of my kids, most of us are........but I love the Moxy!! He just quit what others wait a lifetime just for a chance at.......that takes some serious courage! And a fair dose of confidence too I would guess.

I was just really happy to hug my boy......and know that, eye to eye....he's good. Yeah, that feeling!

And to put it all in prospective...to think just this year; the dragons he's slayed and the spanking life gave my oldest and how she has dominated since..................that trash really wasn't such a big issue.....the little one will be okay too!

LOL

Dad can still learn too!

Great weekend!