Aquarium water safe after no power for a week?

tortuga-bueno

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Hi! I have two aquatic turtles, a Mississippi Mud and a Reeves. The Mud lives in a 30 gallon long, and the Reeves in a 55 gallon tank. We recently evacuated (and took the turtles with us) due to Hurricane Ida. Our house didn't have power for 7 straight days. We're back now and so's the power, and the filters are running in the tanks. I had planned on doing a partial water change before putting the turtles back in, but we're being told to conserve water and not put stuff down the drain due to potential sewage backup problems. Unfortunately I'm out of supplies to test the aquarium water and local pet stores aren't open; I ordered some online but they won't be here for a week.

So my question is, could there be any risk in putting the turtles back in their tanks as is? It's the same water that was in there before we left; it looks clear and smells fine; the filters are working. I just don't know if having the water sit there in 100+ degree heat for a week could have compromised the water quality somehow. Thoughts?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi! I have two aquatic turtles, a Mississippi Mud and a Reeves. The Mud lives in a 30 gallon long, and the Reeves in a 55 gallon tank. We recently evacuated (and took the turtles with us) due to Hurricane Ida. Our house didn't have power for 7 straight days. We're back now and so's the power, and the filters are running in the tanks. I had planned on doing a partial water change before putting the turtles back in, but we're being told to conserve water and not put stuff down the drain due to potential sewage backup problems. Unfortunately I'm out of supplies to test the aquarium water and local pet stores aren't open; I ordered some online but they won't be here for a week.

So my question is, could there be any risk in putting the turtles back in their tanks as is? It's the same water that was in there before we left; it looks clear and smells fine; the filters are working. I just don't know if having the water sit there in 100+ degree heat for a week could have compromised the water quality somehow. Thoughts?
Should be fine to put the turtles back into

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh boy. I'm not sure about turtles but it sure would be bad for fish.
The filter should be cleaned and water changed, at least 50 to 75% That's for fish. I'm not sure I would risk it for turtles.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The water should be fine. Without the turtles there putting waste into the system, the water should have stayed pretty good if it was nice and clean when you left. Your nose is a good guide and you said it smelled OK. The ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle would have a distinct smell at 7 days if you were having a problem.

Turtles are not like fish as far as water quality. A long time in poor water can lead to skin and/or shell issues, but they do not have gills and can live in pretty poor water. You are at more risk than your tutles are with water quality that has deteriorated.

Buckeye Girl

Rossford, Ohio
The water should be fine. I rescued two aquatic turtles from a waste water treatment plant. You would be surprised what turtles can live in. I would pay close attention to them and if they start act differently or lethargic take them out and wash them off and then change their water.

One suggestion would be to collect rainwater and use that to do a partial water change. I only use rainwater in my koi pond.

Good luck and thank you for taking them when you evacuated. I think anyone who evacuates and leaves pets behind should not be able to have more pets.

tortuga-bueno

New Orleans, LA
Thank you all! We did a 30% water change the old fashioned way (aka dumping buckets of old water into the garden), let the water sit for a day, and put the turtles back in yesterday. So far so good! They seem happy to be back in their tanks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Glad this worked out OK for your turtles!
And good to see you here, Moozillion. We were all concerned about the Hurricane!