Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I live on a corner. The side street is a barely travelled residential street. Along that side of my property, which is up about 10' higher than the street, is where I spread my horse manure. I have a section about 6' wide and a strip about 75' long. In between the street and the manure pile are bushes, which hide the manure pile from the street. It is not a fly problem because I spread out the manure every day when I add to the pile, it dries and decomposes. A couple times a year I dig all the decomposed manure out and use it in my flower beds and rain forest.

The H'mong family across the street has 3 hens and a rooster. About 3 weeks ago the chickens discovered my manure pile. They scratch around in the pile, making big holes in it and spreading the manure out towards the street. Its a pretty big job for me to go out there every morning and rake and shovel it all back up the hill and off the side of the street.

I've told the chickens' owner twice very nicely, that the chickens are making a lot of extra work for me and what they are doing. The second time I went over there the guy closed the door in my face.

I won't shoot them, so don't offer that advice to me. I have tried my grandson's air soft gun, but I'm not a very good shot. And besides that, as soon as I'm out of sight, the birds are right back here again.

What can I do? I'm not against trapping them. Do they make traps to ensnare chickens?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I had chickens for 15 years before we got rid of them to build a pool. They LOVE to dig in soft earth, and would tear my compost pile to bits.
Hate to say it, but there is little you can do. They are dumb as rocks, but what they lack in smarts they make up for in tenaciousness.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the links, Tom. They're a little bit expensive, but if the chickens start to really get to me, I may have to bite the bullet!

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd get that thing that I can't think of what it's called anymore. It's a motion sensor that shoots water once activated. Remember? I was going to get it to chase off my raccoons

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's right! The Scarecrow! It's a motion activated predator repellent that shoots water when it senses motion. They cost about $70. I'll give that a try. Thanks, Maggie.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Since you have already told the neighbor I would tell her/him one more time and at that time tell them tht if I find any more chickens in my yard I will capture and then turn them into whomever ( ASPPCA HSUS local shelter) I can tolerate some animal crossing but enough is enough IMHO.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
That's right! The Scarecrow! It's a motion activated predator repellent that shoots water when it senses motion. They cost about $70. I'll give that a try. Thanks, Maggie.

Not sure that will work Yvonne, unless it sprays hard right at the chicken(s). Most birds like water and are used to it - our neighborhood chickens are out picking and scraping away even in a downpouring rain.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am sorry to hear that you have to do extra work because of the chickens and I really do not like your neigbor!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You are kind of rural where you are, but check with your local City Ordinances about chickens and running free. Some places say they can have them, but they Must be kept contained. Local Muni Codes.
If no one is complaining about your pile moving and getting spread.. then let them eat your bugs!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I don't suppose lying in wait with a hose and a spray nozzle for a couple of mornings in a row would dissuade them? Maybe pay a neighborhood kid a few bucks to do it several days in a row? Wish we lived closer; my 13-year-old would do it with gusto!;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To be honest and not trying to start another debate but I do not think chickens are smart enough to profit from learned behaviour, I could be wrong but I just don't see a chicken thinking, wow I have been sprayed every morning I went to that manure pile maybe I will go somewhere else.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Another option... if you can't beat them, let them do some of your work for you...

A simple border of wood or rock or anything a few inches high along the edge of the manure pile should keep it from spreading over to the road. Then just toss our your manure, and let them do all the spreading for you. They eat any maggots, flies, and other bugs, and save you lots of work.

And while you are at it, you could build a nice dark nest box nearby, with fresh hay, and see if you can convince the chickens to lay some fresh eggs for you... Talk about getting back at the neighbors... ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That's the best suggestion that I've heard yet. I was also thinking how Yvonne could benefit from these chickens. How could she get some free organic eggs. :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I've got to admit, Chad's solution has the distinct air of poetic justice about it.;)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
dmmj said:
I do not think chickens are smart enough to profit from learned behaviour

Didn't they once use Chickens to learn colors for food or cocaine? I know they did it with Rats.

The suggestion to get the free eggs cracks me up. Put out a sign for "Fresh Eggs $1 a Dozen".

I Raced Pigeons in my High School days and the City came out to check for leg id tags. Same laws apply to poultry.

Status
Not open for further replies.