Arcadia d3

Stacey fellows

Hi
I was wondering what bulb would be sufficient for my horsfield tortoise in a 4ftx2ft tort table and if using the matching arcadia lamp is advisable please, also the table is 8" high. Any help please? Thanks in advance :)

G_Vincey

Location (City and/or State)
London
My enclosure isn't that big but I use this one for my Russian..
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403047921.345657.jpg
The substrate is a similar depth to yours..

What wattage is it?

Mine is only 80 W..
What height is your light from the substrate?

Stacey fellows

My tort is in a viv ATM I'm looking to get this stuff very soon and wanted to make sure I got what I needed before hand so the distance of the bulb I dnt know exactly but the table includes at height adjustable arm and substrate depth again I can decide this once I put it all together .... But it is quite warm in my room and is obviously summer so don't want to over do it?! Any help appreciated thx again
Stacey

G_Vincey

London
My tort is in a viv ATM I'm looking to get this stuff very soon and wanted to make sure I got what I needed before hand so the distance of the bulb I dnt know exactly but the table includes at height adjustable arm and substrate depth again I can decide this once I put it all together .... But it is quite warm in my room and is obviously summer so don't want to over do it?! Any help appreciated thx again
Stacey

What lighting are you using in the viv at the moment?

The mini D3 from Arcadia seems to work for me, my tort enjoys basking under it and has definitely helped improve his general behaviour from when I first got him..
I hear great reviews about the Powersun 100 W MVB's but I don't use one so can't really comment on them..

How many lights are you looking to have in your enclosure?

If your room is hot, consider the air flow in and around the table when setting it up. When you add your substrate the temp should be ok.. I believe the temps in tables don't get as hot and 'built up' as they do in vivs..

Stacey fellows

Hya
ATM I'm using a uv strip and heat bulb on one side, I leave the doors ajar for airflow but that's why I wanted to get a table as opposed to using my viv, I think the 80 should be okay? Would you use with the arcadia lamp too? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403070191.996799.jpg

G_Vincey

London
Hya
ATM I'm using a uv strip and heat bulb on one side, I leave the doors ajar for airflow but that's why I wanted to get a table as opposed to using my viv, I think the 80 should be okay? Would you use with the arcadia lamp too? View attachment 84092

Okay.. The table will have better air flow than the viv, but you may lose humidity quicker.. Does the table have a lid or partial lid?

I don't use any other lights as it consists of heat, light and UVB, my substrate already drys out fairly quickly in the basking area..

I'm guessing you already have the lamp? If so, try just the MVB bulb and see what kind of temps you can maintain and what the general humidity is like, then you can add the lamp if needed..
It will save you on electricity too..

G_Vincey

London
View attachment 84094View attachment 84095

I was looking at these two with a mesh lid. Thoughts?

I love the one with steps.. The other one is okay too and allows you to decorate it the way you like, so you could add your own ramps etc.

If you can get them in the dimensions you mentioned earlier then I think they would be great options..

Not to sure about the mesh lid, is it for indoors? Why not plexi-glass with a section cut of for the light.. The glass would allow you to see through perfectly and help keep in the humidity better

Stacey fellows

Would the plexiglass still allow good airflow? I only wanted the mesh as protection from my nieces really ha :)

G_Vincey

London
Good point actually.. Maybe not, unless you put holes in each corner along with the one for the light.. Try the cheapest and easiest option first and see how it goes.. The mesh would give your tort more to grip on to in an escape attempt..
Would defo keep the nieces out though lol..

Stacey fellows

Ha yes! So do you think an 80 d3 bulb would be adequate in summer ? And use with or without the matching arcadia lamp?

G_Vincey

London
Do you plan on getting your tortoise out in real sunshine for a few hours a day during the summer?

If so, the mini D3 will be enough, no need for the lamp unless you feel it's necessary, after trying without it.. Consistent hours and observe whether your tortoise basks under it or burrows around it a lot.. And again, check the cool temps if your enclosure is that big..

G_Vincey

London
Ooo I remember seeing this lovely enclosure posted before.. Yes in that case, I do believe the D3 bulb will be enough..

G_Vincey

London
Because you say your tort will get natural sunshine, I would say the 80 and if it's just not enough, the lamp should help..