Arcadia T5 6% or 12% for Russian tortoise

Jeanettics

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
I've been searching through the threads to find information on the difference between the Arcadia T5 6% and 12% UV tubes. I just purchased the 6% because I thought it meant I can hang it at a lower height (I'm not sure where I got this idea from--please let me know if I'm misunderstanding). I see a lot of other members use the 12% for their Russians. Should I cancel my order and get a 12% instead? I can hang the light fixture at any height that's necessary because I'm currently building a new enclosure. I just wanted to know what's best for my Russian for UV lighting so I can adjust the enclosure as needed.
I've been reading about UV lights for hours... I'm stumped.
Any help is appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd get the 12% and plan to hang it around 20 inches from the tortoise.

But here's the thing. In your climate, you really don't need it. Make an outdoor enclosure and put your tortoise out there in fair weather. Even once or twice a week for an hour or two is plenty. And you can skip weeks in the winter during cold spells, or if you hibernate.

Jeanettics

Sacramento, CA
Hi Tom! I've been reading as many of your posts as I can haha. As much as I would love to build an outdoor enclosure, I live in an apartment complex currently so I can't just yet. I'm hoping to rent a house next year with a backyard so I can upgrade to an outdoor enclosure.
If I were to skip the UV light altogether, what's the best way to give my tortoise his outdoor time? Do I place him in a box filled with substrate and a hide and sit with him on the balcony?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom! I've been reading as many of your posts as I can haha. As much as I would love to build an outdoor enclosure, I live in an apartment complex currently so I can't just yet. I'm hoping to rent a house next year with a backyard so I can upgrade to an outdoor enclosure.
If I were to skip the UV light altogether, what's the best way to give my tortoise his outdoor time? Do I place him in a box filled with substrate and a hide and sit with him on the balcony?
Yes. That can work. Kiddie pools can work too. Walmart had them for $4.88 yesterday.