Arcadia T5 warm up?

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, California
I just received an Arcadia ProT5 UVB kit via UPS. The box it came in was beat to heck, I can't believe the bulb made it without breaking.

It does light up, but at first the ends are bright and the middle is dim. After 5 minutes or so it finally gets fully bright.

Is this normal? Is there a warm up time for the Arcadia tubes? I want to make sure there was no damage during shipping.

Thanks,

Sean.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I just received an Arcadia ProT5 UVB kit via UPS. The box it came in was beat to heck, I can't believe the bulb made it without breaking.

It does light up, but at first the ends are bright and the middle is dim. After 5 minutes or so it finally gets fully bright.

Is this normal? Is there a warm up time for the Arcadia tubes? I want to make sure there was no damage during shipping.

Thanks,

Sean.
Hello!
My Arcadia lamps light up instantly (I use only 24W). But for longer tubes such slow start can be normal - it need more mercury to evaporate and fill the tube.
Maybe, @Markw84 or @jaizei can explain what's happening. Or @Tom have seen something like that.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They are instant on and off. I think the bulb is faulty due to the delivery .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks,

Sean.
I don't have any of the 46 inch ones, but none of my 34 or 22 inch ones do that. It could be that the contact points aren't fully seated, or it could be that the bulb was damaged. I'd run it by the seller and see what they say. A damaged UV tube could be dangerous for use in some cases.

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Chino, California
Thanks all. I'll contact the seller on Monday. Frustrating that you can't find these in stores anywhere nearby. Amazon doesn't even have the 48" bulb or kit.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The downside of having a single fixture with a single bulb is that there's nothing to compare it to or swap out to test and that's usually the easiest way to troubleshoot fluorescent bulbs & fixtures.

The only times I've encountered fluorescent tubes taking that long to fully illuminate were when they were in a cold environment or the ballast was going bad.