Are any of you in New Orleans area?

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I might be going out of town for a few weeks over Christmas (back home to sunny Arizona!!!) and Bob[emoji217] obviously can not fly with me. I have a few work people that can check in on him, but was curious if maybe one of the fellow tortoise lovers would want to tortoise sit for me?

It might not even be a good idea to have him stay with others? I am not sure if they can get sick from each other easily or not, but Bob[emoji217] is in great health and is an 8 year old Leo.

Obviously I have someone that can check in on him, I am NOT abandoning my animal. I just thought maybe I would as ok here in case others have tortoise sat for each other before... [emoji16][emoji217][emoji8]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I might be going out of town for a few weeks over Christmas (back home to sunny Arizona!!!) and Bob[emoji217] obviously can not fly with me. I have a few work people that can check in on him, but was curious if maybe one of the fellow tortoise lovers would want to tortoise sit for me?

It might not even be a good idea to have him stay with others? I am not sure if they can get sick from each other easily or not, but Bob[emoji217] is in great health and is an 8 year old Leo.

Obviously I have someone that can check in on him, I am NOT abandoning my animal. I just thought maybe I would as ok here in case others have tortoise sat for each other before... [emoji16][emoji217][emoji8]
It never hurts to ask!
I live not far from you, in Covington, but l'm afraid I won't be able to help. We're going out of town as well.
But I didn't want your post to go unanswered, even if I can't help. :)

5 Year Member
It never hurts to ask!
I live not far from you, in Covington, but l'm afraid I won't be able to help. We're going out of town as well.
But I didn't want your post to go unanswered, even if I can't help. :)

Hello, I know it has been a long time, but do you have a good tort vet you can suggest to me? Bob[emoji217] has not pooped in many weeks and the current vet he is at has had him for 5 days with no progress or success getting his tail out to get a scope or anything up his back end to look or feel around...
I am really worried and I want someone that can help !!?!!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hello, I know it has been a long time, but do you have a good tort vet you can suggest to me? Bob[emoji217] has not pooped in many weeks and the current vet he is at has had him for 5 days with no progress or success getting his tail out to get a scope or anything up his back end to look or feel around...
I am really worried and I want someone that can help !!?!!
I take my torts to the LSU veterinary school in Baton Rouge. Dr, Berg is who we see. She consults with someone higher up. She only sees reptiles. I trust her. Before finding this group, she told me my adult sulcata needed twice a week soaks for his whole life. You can try them, maybe just a 1-2 hour drive.

5 Year Member
I take my torts to the LSU veterinary school in Baton Rouge. Dr, Berg is who we see. She consults with someone higher up. She only sees reptiles. I trust her. Before finding this group, she told me my adult sulcata needed twice a week soaks for his whole life. You can try them, maybe just a 1-2 hour drive.

Do you have a contact number for them so I can call ahead to ask if they can help in the situation? My post is the "no poop in 3 weeks!!! Haaalp" I have been doing 2 a day soaks and much more, and he has been with local reptile and avian vet for 5 days with no change!
I'm freaking out .... to say the least!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Do you have a contact number for them so I can call ahead to ask if they can help in the situation? My post is the "no poop in 3 weeks!!! Haaalp" I have been doing 2 a day soaks and much more, and he has been with local reptile and avian vet for 5 days with no change!
I'm freaking out .... to say the least!
‭+1 (225) 578-9600‬

5 Year Member
I found a number online
Dr berg is no longer there, but I talked with Dr Storh (spelling?) ... 130$ just for the appt! I would have thought it would be less because it is a school, not more!

I'm going to decide what to do after Dr Rich's office , the local vet, calls me back in an hr with updates and suggestions

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I found a number online
Dr berg is no longer there, but I talked with Dr Storh (spelling?) ... 130$ just for the appt! I would have thought it would be less because it is a school, not more!

I'm going to decide what to do after Dr Rich's office , the local vet, calls me back in an hr with updates and suggestions
They are pricey. I am so upset that Dr. Berg is gone. The first appt is more expensive.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I found a number online

If this is the Dr. Rich at the Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital, he treated my mud turtle. When she did not respond sufficiently to the first treatment he tried, he said he was going to call come friends of his at LSU vet school for other ideas, which he did.
If he hasn't already suggested it, you could always ask him to consult with them- he brought up the idea himself when he was treated Jacques.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I found a number online

I have heard good things about the head of the herp department. I knew Dr. Berg would leave eventually when she was done with her internship, but was hoping it wasn’t soon.

5 Year Member
If this is the Dr. Rich at the Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital, he treated my mud turtle. When she did not respond sufficiently to the first treatment he tried, he said he was going to call come friends of his at LSU vet school for other ideas, which he did.
If he hasn't already suggested it, you could always ask him to consult with them- he brought up the idea himself when he was treated Jacques.

I will bring it up. Also... when you received updates, did you talk with Dr Rich or always the techs?

5 Year Member
So how’s Bob doing? [emoji2]

He finally came home today!!!

Omg what an ordeal! I stayed up all night trying to get his indoor house remodel as far along as possible (at least to a safe for him stage)

Still a lot to do, and car is till I'm the shop, so asking lots of favors from friends lol

Here is his first meal home!

I kept the meal on the small side... a little bit of kale(I had some) some arugula (my favorite but he is cute enough and I am willing to share ) and some pre cooked pumpkin mush (he LOvES!!!)
Plan on slowly amount up his meal size back to normal
My friend is going to pass by the magazine st Whole Foods and I hope hey have some dandelion. Nobody ever sells it around here, but they sometimes carry it. Fingers crossed, that is his absolute favorite, hands down!!! IMG_3026.jpgIMG_3027.jpgIMG_3028.jpg

5 Year Member
I am also still trying to figure out what uvb and heat source to set up... and also a bask ... for when I can't get him outside .

Also I have a raised planter I have never put together (not sure where I will find a job and if I will have to move...) but it might work as a outdoor enclosure for a few hrs a day.
It is 2x8 so I was thinking if I put it together but only artsy half of the bottom pieces and then flip it upside down, it would be a quick way to give him a walk way containment in the grass, in an area where I know my stupid land lord did NOT spread any ant killer and ... then set a chain link panel on top of the open section to make sure cats can't get him

So he could have half as a hide and half as sun... and all grass to nibble!

I might eventually flip it and fill it with soil and tortoise grazing seed mix and then put him in there with fence and shade cover... we will see. I thought it would be a quick way to get him some more outdoor time and sunshine

Although I know once I plan it and let him graze in there I can't ever plant food for me in that soil just in case of contaminants or pin worms from his pee or poop [emoji22]

5 Year Member
Also called Mexican clover

Hmmmm.... looks very close.
I just googled Mexican clover and all the pictures showed 6 petal white flowers. The one in my yard is only 4 "petals" ... and the new leaves tend to grow from the inside of the previous leaf ... the Mexican clover looks like it grows more of a standard stem.

I'll try and take some better pictures tomorrow. You have definitely found something close Ms @TriciaStringer