Are ceftazidime injections still good if theyve leaked in the freezer?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
How would the che bulbs heat up to over 100° they are reptiking, made for reptiles.
That's how technology works. There is a heating coil inside, which warms up to this temperatures.

You can't touch the flame without getting burned, but can warm your hands from a safe distance. With CHE it's the same thing. They aren't intended to be *touched* by reptiles and have minimal placement distance to avoid burns.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
On your question, if it's appropriate heating equipment:
1. Thermostat (temperature controller) - looks fine to me. It's rated for 1200 watt, that's enough.
2. The dome lights with CHEs are fine. But I'm afraid you heat as much inside the box as outside the box (and lose heat and humidity due to "chimney" effect).

I've just realized, that you question might be addressed to Tom. Excuse me if so :)

Olean NY
On your question, if it's appropriate heating equipment:
1. Thermostat (temperature controller) - looks fine to me. It's rated for 1200 watt, that's enough.
2. The dome lights with CHEs are fine. But I'm afraid you heat as much inside the box as outside the box (and lose heat and humidity due to "chimney" effect).

I've just realized, that you question might be addressed to Tom. Excuse me if so :)
Tom,
Yes, room definitely also gets heated up. To around the same temperature as the box honestly. He wasn't doing good this morning, turned the heat up and he's coming back to life. I put at thermometer right under his basking light and am leaving it there to read the temperature I'll take it out in an hour. So far, the basking temp is around 4° more than the ambient temperature.

I plan on purchasing those temperature controllers

Ashleigh

Olean NY
Tom,
Yes, room definitely also gets heated up. To around the same temperature as the box honestly. He wasn't doing good this morning, turned the heat up and he's coming back to life. I put at thermometer right under his basking light and am leaving it there to read the temperature I'll take it out in an hour. So far, the basking temp is around 4° more than the ambient temperature.

I plan on purchasing those temperature
Temperature controller (or thermostat), like the InkBird ITC-306 you've posted above, is a MUST for use with CHE or any other heating sources.
Tom, are each of the outlets good for one bulb?
So if I bought one of the temperature controllers, it would control the whole lamp one outlet for each bulb.

-ashleigh
Temperature controller (or thermostat), like the InkBird ITC-306 you've posted above, is a MUST for use with CHE or any other heating sources.

Olean NY
Tom, are each of the outlets good for one bulb?
So if I bought one of the temperature controllers, it would control the whole lamp one outlet for each bulb.

-ashleigh
His basking spot is 93 and his ambient is 85. He is on the cold side, not moving. He was digging on the cold side, but now he is still.

Attachments

• 170170547631833027407801333744.jpg
    170170547631833027407801333744.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 17017054984048836821748403459882.jpg
    17017054984048836821748403459882.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sorry, I've probably made some confusion here... I'm not Tom, I'm Alex :)

1. Thermostat is rated for 1200Watt. I think you can put 2 lamps on one socket without problems. Maybe even all four. You can use a power strip for connecting lamps to a controller.

2. I'm worried about ambient temperatures in the room where box is. It looks, like we try to heat a house through an attic window. When the thermostat arrives, can you hang the heaters from a mesh, so they will be inside the box? Then you will need to cover mesh from top to prevent loss of heat and humidity (don't do that now, without a thermostat we can fry him up).

3. Get an infrared thermometer aka temperature gun (from a hardware store or Amazon). I have a strong feeling that we are missing out something about temperatures.

4. Tell more about your guys' status: does he drink, eat, poop? Do you give him warm soaks?

Olean NY
Sorry, I've probably made some confusion here... I'm not Tom, I'm Alex :)

1. Thermostat is rated for 1200Watt. I think you can put 2 lamps on one socket without problems. Maybe even all four. You can use a power strip for connecting lamps to a controller.

2. I'm worried about ambient temperatures in the room where box is. It looks, like we try to heat a house through an attic window. When the thermostat arrives, can you hang the heaters from a mesh, so they will be inside the box? Then you will need to cover mesh from top to prevent loss of heat and humidity (don't do that now, without a thermostat we can fry him up).

3. Get an infrared thermometer aka temperature gun (from a hardware store or Amazon). I have a strong feeling that we are missing out something about temperatures.

4. Tell more about your guys' status: does he drink, eat, poop? Do you give him warm soaks?
O sorry alex, this website is confusing I have trouble identifying what's the name tag or not I'm very new to this.

He has been eating, he's literally never taken a drink in his life I've never seen it once. I got a huge water dish for him that's almost big enough for him to soak in, and he just walks through it sometimes when he's doing laps and kicks it over. He has been pooping, it's very soft and wet. I gave him a warm soak 2 days ago, and he got worse. Initially when he got sick, it was a day after a soak his condition became bad enough for me to realize he was sick. I feel like soaking is counter productive right now, I'm very discouraged. I don't know how to make him better, he seems to be having a hard time breathing.

Ash

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wet stool indicates he MAY need more fiber in his diet. Zoo Med Forest Tortoise Diet might help with this. Mazuri would too.

Olean NY
Wet stool indicates he MAY need more fiber in his diet. Zoo Med Forest Tortoise Diet might help with this. Mazuri would too.
I got him mazuri tortoise diet ls but he wont even get near it he doesn't want anything to do with it

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
His basking spot is 93 and his ambient is 85. He is on the cold side, not moving. He was digging on the cold side, but now he is still.

No none has mentioned it yet, but is that wood chips for substrate? That may be some of the issues with the runny nose. What type substrate is that? Pine shavings?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
@AshleeSparling

Hello!
1. When your temperature controller will arrive?
2. We have talked about oil-filled radiators in one of the earlier threads. If you have one spare at hand, it might be a better choice to heat the enclosure than CHEs.
3. Can you get a temperature gun (infrared thermometer)? That's to finally rule out all temperature issues - you can check your sullys' limbs and shell temperatures, floor temperature and such.
4. Perhaps, you are right to stop soakings for a while. But he still needs to be hydrated - sprinkling water over his food might help.
5. You might give a call to your vet to get an opinion (things are just easier and quicker to explain and discuss in a phone conversation, than in forum messages).

Unfortunately, assessing your tortoise health is beyond my limited knowledge and experience. I really hope we are on the right track with temperatures and he is getting well. Sometimes we can misinterpret tortoise behaviour completely and our best take is to provide them correct environment setting.

Please, keep us updated on his health and changes in his enclosure, vet advice and such. If any questions arise - please ask.

Olean NY
@AshleeSparling

Hello!
1. When your temperature controller will arrive?
2. We have talked about oil-filled radiators in one of the earlier threads. If you have one spare at hand, it might be a better choice to heat the enclosure than CHEs.
3. Can you get a temperature gun (infrared thermometer)? That's to finally rule out all temperature issues - you can check your sullys' limbs and shell temperatures, floor temperature and such.
4. Perhaps, you are right to stop soakings for a while. But he still needs to be hydrated - sprinkling water over his food might help.
5. You might give a call to your vet to get an opinion (things are just easier and quicker to explain and discuss in a phone conversation, than in forum messages).

Unfortunately, assessing your tortoise health is beyond my limited knowledge and experience. I really hope we are on the right track with temperatures and he is getting well. Sometimes we can misinterpret tortoise behaviour completely and our best take is to provide them correct environment setting.

Please, keep us updated on his health and changes in his enclosure, vet advice and such. If any questions arise - please ask.
Alex,
They will arrive on Saturday. I don't have an oil filled filled radiator and I could try and get a heat gun. I moved the thermometer probe to dangle slightly above his shell in the basking area to measure how hot it is. I'm trying to keep it around 87, if it gets hotter than that it just keeps climbing gradually and I have to go to work soon. His wheezing is still there, but he's moving and eating. He doesn't have watery eyes. Maybe he got to cold the last couple nights, or maybe to hot. But I hope he gets better. He doesn't seem to have gotten worse today, he gets another shot tonight when I get home. I soaked him yesterday, he didn't like it. I'll probably stop doing that for a while, he acts like he hates it tries to escape. I imagine he's trying to tell me something. I'm giving him Mazuri tortoise diet ls mixed with a cucumber to encourage him to eat it. He also has access to clean water and kale, he took a drink for the first time ive ever seen yesterday that's y I soaked him.

He has 5 shots left, is it normal for animals not to drastically improve until after half way?
Thank you
Ashleigh

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I think, if he shows more activity and has good appetite - it's a good sign. And that he is drinking water - is another good thing (and that's why I was suggesting soaking).

Watery eyes can be a sign of dehydration, too dry air or respiratory infection. As his eyes are clear now I consider it a positive dynamic as well.

I can't comment on effect of the antibiotic shots. With wrong environment they won't be as effective as a should be, tortoises heal slowly and Fortaz is a good "starter medication", however might be less effective than Baytril (and with less adverse side effects). I would like to hear from more experienced members.

I hope, when all equipment will arrive and we arrange heating and humidity, he will get well quicker.

Olean NY
I will try to attach a video, when I get home in 8 hours, of him breathing. I appreciate all your help. He will get another shot tonight (#6 of 10) and a warm soak so long as he stays calm

Olean NY
Alex,
Unfortunately I am unable to attach the video. Do you have reddit? I will post it on there, my username is appalachian_disciple

Ashleight